Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sara
Curious September 2019 British Columbia

Wedding Venue Cancelled; now what??!!

Sara, on February 8, 2019 at 23:51 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 37

Hello,

I'm freaking out a bit. I locked down, or so I thought, my wedding venue for Sept 14, 2019. We got the event space of the Beach House restaurant in West Vancouver as they were going to have new renovations done by May.

I got an email today saying that the renovation schedule is WAAAAAYYYYYY behind and they can't guarantee our wedding day anymore. I am now 7 months away from said wedding date but without a space. The place we had we so ideal because it was small, intimate and affordable. We also locked down a permit to have the ceremony on the beach.

What do I do?????? I HATE the planning process (I wanted to elope) and the idea of now having to search, email and find a place that is probably over budget is very stressful.

I am very grateful that we have enough time to figure this out.

Any tips out there??!!!

Regards,
The non bride , bride.
Sara

37 Comments

Latest activity by Sara, on February 24, 2019 at 21:03
  • Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sadly they didn’t give us any offers for help. It was simply an “we can’t guarantee your event” type email.
    We made our decision yesterday for where our new venue will be and then will be doing a two hour consultation with a wedding planner who will design our new space and give us all rental connections. So I think we are back on track now!! ...... I hope! Lol
  • Elizabeth
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Is there any possibility that the event coordinator from your original venue will help you search? Did they give an recommendations for other locations when they cancelled?
    I am sorry that you're going through this. I hadn't even thought about venues cancelling.
  • Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you again for the support and suggestions!
    A small update:

We have 2 potential places. 1 is a great space (The View on Lonsdale) but kind of pushes a very traditional wedding (I really didn't want super traditional) and even with their kind discounts is still quite expensive. I would definitely need a wedding planner or a few consultations. The Event coordinator has been so lovely which is probably the only reason it's still an option! Plus it feels too large for us.

The other place we are going to see next week. Brock House by Jericho beach. Their food looks amazing and they have many different packages that show they have held many different types of weddings.

Either way it seems that ALL places we have looked at put us way over budget so we need to reconsider how much we are willing to spend.

On the fun side we get to pick up our custom made rings tomorrow!!

Happy planning everyone!

• Alycia
    Expert March 2020 Ontario
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh no!! That’s horrible, I would have also eloped, but I’m starting to love this planning process honestly. I’m not in your area, I wish I could help.

Did you have any luck in your searching?

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding is the day before yours! I can't imagine the stress you must have gone through when your venue canceled.

Did you manage to find a new place yet? Looks like you had a few good leads, which is great!

• Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I will look into it. Thank you

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I got married at the Diamond Alumni Centre in Burnaby, we had 95 people. It was amazing quality and a really great price. Depending on how your other options play out, I would strongly suggest looking into it. The food is amazing, it's pretty much self decorated, and it's beautiful.
  • Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We have two possibilities now! Waiting for a quote from one place and going to see a second place soon.

It it will get figured out. We took for granted how easy our first attempt went!
  • Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    75 - though for me that’s huge. For my fiancé that’s small.
  • Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I found a few! Thankfully.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its terrible that the venue is notifying you they are behind on their renovations and can refund your amount back to you.

I know the venue searching is back to square one for a small number. I'm sure there must be a yacht club or something nearby that will give that day to you.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

How many guests do you have? (Not sure how "small" small is)

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you made the inquiries by email, check your 'sent' folder, and your 'deleted' folder. Even if you've deleted the message, it likely still will be in those two places, as long as you haven't cleaned them out!

• Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have definitely made a bunch of inquiries. After I locked down my venue I deleted all of my research (lesson learned) so I am starting from scratch.

Eloping would be so much easier!! However it is important to my fiance so I will sort this out!

• Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for the suggestion I just sent them an email!

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Check the tea house in Stanley park! My aunt and uncle got married there for many of the same reasons!
  • Janis
    Curious June 2019 Ontario
    Janis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Have you tried any other local venues that may accommodate your capacity? Vineyards, barns, garden spaces or hotels? Ask around and make a few phone calls Smiley smile

I wanted to go elope like you OR get married in a forest. I’m getting married this June with 100+ guests 😪

• Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yikes! Makes me thankful for having at least a good amount of time!

• Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's what we were thinking but having not look tacky is the trick! haha

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    One of my friends had her venue cancelled less than 3 months before because the venue didn’t have the proper permits. They had over 100 guests and were able to find a new venue no problem. Definitely stressful but doable. Good luck!
  • Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You could fill space and make it lounge like by having friends bring their camping chairs as well..Not sure if that would stick with your theme or take it the wrong direction but it would be unique for sure.
  • Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Those are cute!
    Not sure I’ll do favors. My wedding is going to be low key as far as traditional stuff goes. I’ll keep those in mind though in case we change our minds!

Tx
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Omg I’m totally into DIY stuff and love searching for the best deals on stuff.The dollar store can be your best friend for rustic elements.If you are looking for a cute and not overly pricey favour idea you can buy these jars at Dollarama I think you get 4 of them (using for chore money for the kids)for $4.You can fill them with granola,candy or even rocks,sand and dirt from one of your hiking or camping trips.

Wedding Venue Cancelled; now what??!! 1
  • Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh wow! That is so nice. Thank you!

I am am not a DIY person so any help I can get is great! There are hooks along a wall for us to hang things from so we have options.
    I’m thinking some cozy blankets and cozy seating of some sort along with a lot of candles will give it the rustic “camping” vibe but hopefully not in a tacky way! Lol
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Our venue is very large as well and we plan on doing pvc pipe frames with sheer curtains to block some of the space off and spreading tables out etc.I am also going to create a photo booth section and a dressing area to fill it up.I can look around and see if I have anything that would fit into your decor.
  • Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are calling it the Lumberjack theme. Our first date was a hike and his nickname has been Lumberjack since then!

I have ave some table cloths in the plaid so a few tables will have it and then a friend has some candle holders (that almost look like vases) that we can use. After that I’m out. Plus the space is now quite large.

We we want to make some lounge areas because we are also going to have games. Trying to incorporate the stuff we love: hiking, camping, games and beer!
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    What’s your colour scheme and what kind of decor are you looking into?
  • Taylor
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m so happy to see this message and hear that you’ve found a solution to this problem! I could not imagine the stress and anxiety that this would cause.
  • Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So my fiancé and I work fast!
    As does the people from the View on Lonsdale. We viewed it today and talked about catering. They will have a quote to us this week and said they will work with our original budget and original idea as best they can. If all goes well we will have a really gorgeous view to be married in front of.

Now to to worry about decorations that we didn’t need to think about at the other place. It’ll sort itself out.

Thanks again for the advice and support during my freak out last night! Haha

sara
  • Maegan
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Im so sorry this is happening to you! The same thing happened to a close friend of mine last year. She got a call 5 months out from her wedding venue that due to permit issues they had to shut down. From her experience I can tell you one thing- the second other wedding vendors hear about it they will bend over backwards for you! She ended up booking the place they loved (but initially couldnt afford) at nearly the same price they would have been paying at the place that closed down as most of the venues around felt awful because its not your fault! Call around and see if who still has your date and i know it sucks but by all means keep playing the venue cancelled on us card- many places will give you big discounts when you can say you only budgeted for what you were supposed to be paying at the other place. At the end of the day its not your fault and other venues and vendors should see that. Goodluck!
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ugh. I'm so sorry this is happening to you - the venue shouldn't have booked anyone in the first place, giving them wiggle room for delays.

I would definitely contact the venue and ask them for reimbursement options, because this is out of your control and not being able to guarantee a venue for the date you've booked is unacceptable.

• Sara
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks ladies!! I appreciate this space for back up advice and support!

I’ll check out the Yaletown loft.

our space was over in West Vancouver/Dundarave park. Our contract doesn’t cover this though I remember asking if they had things in place for contingencies and what they would do if this happens but then all of us laughed and said that even with a May deadline they have room for construction nightmares so it shouldn’t affect September!

My my fiancé is emailing places so I’ll give him your suggestions.

Wish us luck!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics