Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Expert September 2018 British Columbia

Wedding Speech

Kim, on September 10, 2018 at 20:59 Posted in Wedding reception 0 13

Hi Brides!

Did or are YOU going to give a speech or similar at your wedding reception? I'm a bit stuck here... what did you say beyond "thank you for coming"?

13 Comments

Latest activity by Elaine, on September 18, 2018 at 03:37
  • Natasha
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will be doing one.
    Special shout out to vendors, bridal party, parents and family. Thank everyone for coming and do a quick dedication of love to your hubby and then open up the dance floor. It does not need to be long. Short and sweet is good.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I want to give a speech! But I also know it will make me a crying mess ahaha!!

My FH wouldn't be much different hahaha!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We'll be giving a speech together in order to thank everyone for coming and say a little about each other (since we're not doing personalized vows at the ceremony).

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Preparing for the speech in order as general:

Thank the guests for coming near and far.

Thank the stars for anyone you know who is watching over you two (optional)

Say thing towards family to make them part of how kind and bringing up of your spouse and being part of the family.

Thank your wedding party for their support and making your day special.

Finally, say something to your husband that will be memorable and meaningful he will always know how much you love him.

Close with a happy thought and enjoy your evening.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think I'll be making a speech. I usually take over a lot, so I'm gonna take the opportunity to step back and let my new husband make the bride/groom speech. He hates speeches too, so I'll probably still end up writing it, but he can say it... haha.

Similar guideline as the rest of the girls. Pointing out the thank yous to the different groups, and an overall thank you to the guests for being part of our big day.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We'll thank everyone for coming as well as a few MVPs:

-Our wedding party for supporting us

-Our parents for helping us put this together/raising our spouse/welcoming the other spouse

-Our MC for being awesome

-Our vendors

-My godmother and "honourary mom" for decorating

We'll also share an funny anecdote about how being engaged and planning over the last two years. I'll probably do most of the talking, FH isn't much for words lol

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are going to be giving a joint speech together - My fiancé gets very anxious with large crowds, and especially if he has to speak - by doing it together, I can support him and I get to say nice things about him (as well as him about me).

Generally you want to thank people for coming. The bride should thank the groom's parents for raising the man she's married, and the groom should thank the brides parents. Share an anecdote or two (funny or sappy, depending on the feel you're going for) and generally make sure that your guests feel welcome.

• K
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's so sweet Maya - what a nice way to honour her memory.

I'm sorry you lost your baby though.

• Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would say the same as Clarissa and I like adding in what Tori said about those watching down on us. I will also be sharing about why the day we picked is so special to us. We are getting married on what would have been our daughters first birthday, I miscarried July 2017. So I will say a thank you for helping us celebrate her life as well as our marriage.
  • K
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies - so far I thank everyone for coming, thank my parents, everyone who helped with the wedding (my aunt the emcee, a friend for the ceremony/cocktail hour music, my aunt who's putting together the flowers), his family for welcoming me into theirs, and finally my husband(!) for his love and friendship over the years and years to come.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be and it will be pretty much what Clarissa has stated. If anything I would add something in regards to those who couldn't make it here today but they are watching down or up at us Smiley tongue Just a little humour with that second part.

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am and I need to start writing it. But I honestly have no idea. I am going to break it down and do a quick point or 2 for each of the following:
    -thank you and why both of my bridesmaids are so important to me, he can do the same for the groomsmen,
    - thank you to each of our parents for supporting us throughout life
    - a thank you to the vendors that will be there (photographer, DJ, wedding planner) for bring the vision of the day to life
    - and finally something along the lines of “thanks to everyone for coming. The amount of love and support behind us going into this next chapter in life means more than we can put into words.”

I want ant to have some points written down since I’ll just end up rambling on if i don’t and I want to keep it no more than 2-3 minuets if I can.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics