Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rekramer
Expert November 2018 Ontario

Wedding Shower Gifts

Rekramer, on October 22, 2018 at 15:59 Posted in Before the wedding 0 20

Hi All,

The FH's parents threw us a wedding shower yesterday and let us take home our (mostly) financial gifts. We opened all the cards and catalogued what the gifts were so we could do proper thank-yous, but I'm wondering how long we should wait before cashing the cheques we were given? It was suggested that donations would go towards a new BBQ but there's no way we would get a new BBQ at this time of year. I don't want to look greedy but I also know I prefer it when people cash the cheques I give them for the purposes of balancing my accounts.

20 Comments

Latest activity by Peggy, on October 25, 2018 at 10:53
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Etiquette says to always do a separate thank you card - even with the wedding being close to the shower. You should still send separate thank you's.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I understand now why your not sending 2 cards instead of 1 and that makes sense. If i was to know that the wedding was following shortly, i wouldn't have mentioned the seperate cards to mail out.
  • Rekramer
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, that's my plan, they'll get a photo of us in front of our BBQ or in our kitchen (they were supposed to bring recipes to the shower)

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ahhh yea I didn't realize your wedding was only a week after your shower. In that case i'd just do thank you cards after the wedding and put an extra note for those that attended the shower.
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is close to the wedding to send out the cards. but you should send a separate card from the wedding thank you.

• Rekramer
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It just seems really weird to me to send out a thank you card like, a week before our wedding for attending the shower.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'd say cash the cheques ASAP and write thank you cards for your shower. Like others have said, your guests don't need to know that you're not purchasing your BBQ right away, just add in the details that their generous gift will go towards making some lovely summer meals.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

First thing to keep in mind: Checks stale date (can't be cashed) 6 months from the date written on them. So waiting until the spring/summer isn't really possible.

You can always put the money in an account and save it for the spring. I would just write, in the thank you cards, "We're so excited to look for a new BBQ in the spring!" so they know your intention.

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would cash the cheques within a week or two.. I hate when a cheque I've written isn't cashed for a couple months - not because the money isn't there but bc I forget about it and then it's a surprise. Also I would definitely send out separate thank you cards for the shower and not wait til the wedding.
  • Rekramer
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm not really worried about insufficient funds with this crowd. I also wasn't planning on sending out separate thank you cards for the shower, just adding something a little extra for the people that did attend the shower.

• Rekramer
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was going to do the thank you cards for the wedding, and just include a picture of the BBQ we eventually get, or a BBQ meal that we make, with the thank you cards for the people that came to the wedding shower. Is that bad? Should I do specific shower thank you cards ASAP?

• Rekramer
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, I made a note of everyone that contributed and I was going to send them a picture of a BBQed meal with their wedding thank-you card once our wedding thank-you cards were ready to go.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Cash the cheques rather than waiting before it bounces for insufficient funds. Do the thank you cards too for everyone who came and gave something.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You should cash the cheques sooner than later. Cheques expire after 6 months anyway, and most people expect the cash to come out based on the date they write on the check.

People don't need to know you've purchased the BBQ right away - so don't worry. For our wedding, we got lots of money towards our honeymoon, which we didn't go on for two months. We cashed the cheques/money and then wrote thank you cards within a week to all our guests saying 'thank you for your generous gift, we are excited to put it to good use for our honeymoon'. Letting them know the intention for the gift usually makes people feel good.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would cash the cheques within the week. When I give a cheque I intend for the money to come out right away so as to let me know what my actual balance is. As for it going towards a BBQ - I really can't see people being so nosey as to ask about it. I mean, if they do; just tell them you're waiting for a sale as to get it for a good price?

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it would be fair to finish and send the thank you cards and then cash the cheques? Unless you're hand delivering the cards then a week or 2 should be fine! I would go cash them the next day but after a week I think you're more than fine!
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We recently had our wedding and I know one of the guests commented to my mom that she was glad we didn’t wait to long to cash the cheque’s. People probably gave knowing they’d be cashed sooner than later! Money can be saved to get a bbq when the time is right.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'd do it whenever, I don't think there is a time limit you should wait. I'd prefer that the person would cash it asap so that way it's our of my account and I don't have to worry about it.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly, if I give someone a cheque, I'd want it cashed ASAP. People who wait make me feel like they didn't really need it... and also I like to see my "actual" account balances...

There's nothing rude about cashing a cheque even the day after. I used my non-monetary gifts that night... so what's the difference with cash?

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think its rude to cash them within the week. just make sure to put that money away so you can buy the bbq in the spring.

and I would make sure to get thank you cards quickly too.

I personally prefer cheque gifts cashed right away so you don't forget about it in your account.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics