Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rekramer
Expert November 2018 Ontario

Wedding Show Ups and Downs

Rekramer, on September 18, 2017 at 10:56 Posted in Wedding reception 0 11

I attended the wedding show this weekend, which was awesome. We were able to narrow down to a manageable list of potential photographers, djs and transportation services.

The one thing I came away bummed about was flowers and decor. I was hoping that I could save some $$ in this area by going with something other than flowers for centrepieces, and making/buying my own decor items, but it seems like even basic decor is quite expensive. One of the places I talked to said their minimum order is $1,000.00 and another said their packages start at $2,500.00. Are there hidden decor costs I'm not thinking about or is that how much napkins and charger plates really cost?

Thoughts on budget decor and centrepieces welcome. Also, who sets that stuff up on the day of your wedding?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Rekramer, on September 22, 2017 at 12:28
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're getting married near St. Catharines. I actually had a good talk with my venue coordinator and a florist yesterday and I'm feeling way more calm about this. Also with my best friend who said she's never been to a wedding with charger plates. I think I just freaked myself out more than necessary.

• Erin
    Expert September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It definitely depends on the venue I think. With our venue, all of our linens, dinnerware and chargers are included. Decor and flowers can be super expensive. I had one florist quote me $4500 just for centrepieces, my bouquet, 4 bridesmaids bouquets and a few other arrangements, plus delivery and set up, its crazy! I ended up finding an amazing florist and decorator who is charging me $1300 for all of that plus more, including decor rentals for our ceremony and reception, and delivery to 2 locations and set up of those items. However, I am DIY-ing several items and setting up majority of our decor and items myself, luckily I can get into my venue 2 days before the wedding at no extra cost. I would say definitely do your homework with regards to finding a florist/decorator. Some people upcharge like crazy. Where are you located? I can send you my florist's info if you like!

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Everything can add up so quickly, especially when you're ordering per person or per table!!

Tables, chairs, linens, charger plates are just always expensive. Prioritize what you care about the most and also see if your venue or caterer includes anything basic free of charge. Our charger plates were $3 per person Smiley surprise

My best advice is to do what Lesley did and vary your decor! You can look for runners or overlays that might be cheaper than a full table linen, or use the basic white linens for half of your tables and an upgraded linen for the other half.

For our centerpieces we had 3 different floral centerpieces that we switched up between the tables - a tall expensive arrangement, a low but very full medium priced arrangement, and small arrangements that re-purposed the bridesmaids bouquets into the centerpiece. Even if you're DIYing non-floral decor for centerpieces, vary the size and price of those items to help your budget out Smiley heart

• Tiffany
    Devoted October 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I hired someone to do my flowers & decore ... it's just under $2500. That includes:
    Set up/tear down
    Centrepieces
    Bouquets & boutonniers
    Ceremony decore incl. more flowers
    Backdrop
    All linens & napkins (incl a few sequins linens)
    Cake table/guest book table

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Anything wedding is expensive.
    Depending on your venue you may be able to use their decorations or you can make your own. We made our centerpieces (a wine and beer bottle with lights in them and 2 small potted plants) and it probably cost us about $200.
    Flowers are a hard one. If you live in a major city I would suggest trying out in the suburbs or the country. I managed to save money by using a florist that lives 25 minutes outside of the suburb I live in near Ottawa. You could also try buying wholesale flowers online and making your own bouquets and floral decorations.
    Most of our rentals will be delivered the day before the wedding so we will set up the chairs and tables etc and then the day of the wedding the caterer just has to set the tables and set himself up. I would talk to your caterer and your venue to figure out who takes of such things.

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've put together my décor for under $200.00. Check my photos posted to see some of it. If you need advice, I'd be happy to help. Our venue is putting most of it out but I have to place the centre pieces and my arch.

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It can add up pretty fast. Whats your budget like?

• Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Decor can add up really quickly! You can still do things less expensive. I splurged on full sequin tablecloths for head table, cake table and guestbook table($25 each). Guest tables are just getting a satin runner in the same colour ($8). My centrepieces are mostly diy but I splurged on a small a couple of roses per table. It could have been less but the rest of my decor is a couple hundred. It's well under $1000 probably about the $500 mark.
    Check kijiji it places that are small thatRent things to you. Linens and florals are probably the biggest expenses so unless they're super important to you, I would reduce those.
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Like the girls have said, it depends on the venue. Our venue has some basic decorations and centerpieces such as oil lanterns and fairy lights but we can also bring in our own stuff if we want. They also provide the napkins and linen and such so we don't have to fuss too much about decor. If you're up to it I would definitely recommend making your own DIY decor to save a bit of money
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It really depends on the venue and the service provider. Our venue includes basic white linens in our price so we didn't have to consider that.

Some decorators will set up your stuff for you if you're renting some things from them and paying them for the service and others are much less flexible. You really just have to take some time to speak to a variety of vendors to determine what your're willing to pay and what services they include. Research is key!

• Karina
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Karina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it depends on your venue. I know one venue we looked at told us we just bring everything, tell them where to put it and they do it all. I also find that when it comes to weddings everything seems over priced.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics