Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Curious October 2021 Ontario

Wedding planner necessary?

Alicia, on November 19, 2018 at 22:21 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 17
Hey everyone I am just starting to look at where to start my planning and budgeting and I am wondering if hiring a wedding planner or a day of coordinator is a must, since I'm figuring out my budget I want to know if that's a for sure necessary for me to save money for.

17 Comments

Latest activity by Jennifer, on November 21, 2018 at 15:42
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Maybe. depends on the dj. this guy that is part of what he does (he has been in the business for a LONG time). but a lot of other djs don't.

your venue may include a day of coordinator too.

• A
    Alicia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is so great, so if I look into some DJs they could potentially work as day of coordinator as well?
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its really up to you and your organization/planning skills. and money wise.

a day of coordinator is DEFINATELY helpful. But it doesn't have to be hired either. Last year I did this for one of my good friends. she gave my contact name/number and her credit card to pay for last minute things/pick up.

I am not hiring a wedding planning. I know what I want. and have previously done some event planning. I do have a coordinator (its also my dj). and they are more than day of. they have helped me along the way as a sounding board/did you think of this etc. its been great.

• Amie
    Devoted August 2019 British Columbia
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went back and forth on whether or not to hire a wedding planner. I knew I wanted to hire a day of coordinator after speaking to many brides and hearing how valuable it is.

When I looked at prices for day of, I noticed some planner’s partial planning packages were only a few hundred dollars more. When I examined the difference in the level of planning between the two, day of coordination and partial planning, it was a no brainer for me to book the partial planning. Yes, it was an expense but I’m 2 months into using the planner and I can already said it was worth it.

My stress level is barely existent in terms of the wedding. My planner has been such a help with my vendors and organizing the wedding planning process. Not only in terms of stress, she has contacts for lower priced decor and floral.

I may have passed on the planner if my mom was around (she passed away 1.5 years ago) or I had my close friends living in my city. But I don’t so I made other arrangements and I’m glad I did.

Everyone’s situation is different. I spent three weeks doing consultations with probably a dozen planners. It’s really important to find out how many meetings, hours, if they help with set-up/take-down, how many hours on the wedding day, amount of communication and when the communication starts. Those factors helped me determine which planner to go with.

Let is us know what you decide!
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not necessary, but 2 months into planning and I'm beginning to wonder if spending the extra cash might just be worth it in the long run. If I have one more dream about centerpieces, I am caving and booking a planner.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm doing everything myself. I'm sure they make the day go smoother and leaves you with less to worry about but I would rather put that money towards something else in our wedding.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Money save for me! We're doing everything ourselves! Theres more than enough information online these days to make things so much easier without a planner! As other have mentioned venues usually have people to help you and I know our church offers a wedding coordinator too!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you are still looking for venues, this might be worth asking about.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely not necessary. Luckily my venue is very turn key with basic ceremony & reception set up, food, and the bar. So I make my selections and that stuff is handled by an in-house coordinator. For my own vendors that I hired, I will be selecting someone in the immediate family to be a contact person for any questions or concerns they have on the day.

Also, I'm 'hiring' my cousin and his gf to set up our decor for me on the day. I am making sure none of my bridal party/family need to worry about any of the set-up/morning details.

Depending on how many 3rd party vendors and decor items you have, you may want to just consider a "day of" coordinator, who will handle contact with all your vendors day of, and possibly some decor set up.

• A
    Alicia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is so great!!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not necessary at all! Our venue will have the assistant catering manager work with us day-of to make sure everything runs smoothly, things get set up, vendors know where to go, etc.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The venue was doing all the set up for us and i had the final touches brought over the day before as it was done.

Wedding planner and DOC are just added expense unless you have a lot happening the day of event. Friends and family are always there to help too and make your day special knowing its for you.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not necessary! Our venue will set up their decor if we choose to use it. if we rent tables, chairs, linens etc. the vendors will set it up for us
  • A
    Alicia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That is super I'm guessing it depends on the venue requirements and timing
  • A
    Alicia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's so great to hear. I'm just wondering then do venues allow you to set up the day before or who would be setting up all the decorations and what not
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not necessary! I think they can be helpful, depending on what you're planning. We had a simple wedding day, not a lot of decor, not a lot of people involved, so we didn't hire a planner, decorator, or day of.

The advantage of hiring someone is that you don't have to ask family and friends to help pitch in. I had asked a couple friends to help with the decor from the ceremony because the venue only cleaned up their chairs, not decor we brought in. My husband and I were able to handle the centrepieces since we had access to the room the day before.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's absolutely NOT necessary! There are so many tools and tips available online to people planning their weddings that wedding planners are really more of a luxury. Try to utilize Wedding Wire since it's great for fielding questions and support Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics