Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Newbie September 2024 Ontario

Wedding planner??

Ashley, on August 12, 2019 at 20:36 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9

Hello all!!!

Who's hiring a wedding planner? I kind of want one because I work crazy hours and have 2 kids so I feel as if I dont really get much time to plan. My fiance says its a waste of money. I just want to hear everyones thoughts on it.

9 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on August 21, 2019 at 12:48
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im having one. i booked trade sensations. they are great! stuff always goes wrong on the date of or vendors or late or they cant find the venue/church etc. theres so much the planners take care of so you dont have too. they also ensure that all ur vendors come on time and decorate and set up properly.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have so long to plan that I don't think I need a wedding planner. My MOH is someone who also loves to plan. Our venue gives us someone to help the day of so I think we'll be fine.
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We weren't going to hire one. And then we had our social, where we were on our feet the entire night, running around like crazy, barely had a moment to eat, visit, or enjoy ourselves. The week after that, I started looking into day of coordinators (many of which are actually month of planners and work with you in the month leading up to the wedding). My fiance was also difficult to convince. I dragged him to meet a DOC, and by the time we left he was saying "well I think we found our planner". I think it just became super important that we were able to relax and enjoy the day. We hired her the next day.

We're at the one month mark (today actually!! YAY!!) and we just had our month out meeting, where she handed us a 5 page day of schedule with every single detail of who is where when. AMAZING. I had a huge list of questions that I brought, and by the time we finished going through the schedule, I had all my answers.

Its $1,200 we didn't initially plan on spending, but I think we're both so glad we went this route. Its nice to have somebody to bounce questions off of, somebody who'll champion you and have your best interest in mind on the day, and to be honest...somebody to dump tasks on! We were stressing trying to figure out who was going to pick up flowers and dessert and rentals, and she was like "easy...I am".

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have a planner, mostly be we are in Winnipeg and the wedding is in Canmore. For me, it has been a lifesaver! I like that she organizes everything and lets me know what my options are and then FH pick what we want and she makes it happen. She has been really good for suggesting things that we may not have thought of, but is very flexible to accommodate what we want. Her package included everything - décor, set up, take down, flowers, etc... Has definitely made these last few days (only 17 now!) less stressful for me!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't have a planner and I'm planning from a long distance lol! I started nearly right away/had an idea of what I wanted and had a 2 year engagement. It is doable to plan your own wedding, but I also have pretty flexible hours and no kids so I understand that each person's situation is unique.

If it's something you think you can benefit from, I would get some quotes and book one. If your FH was up to planning most of it, then I can see not having one but I'm guessing it'd be you doing most of the planning, like most brides here lol.

You can also look into month-of, week-of, or day-of coordination. Coordinators differ in that you would plan things out, and the coordinator helps make it all go smoothly - like Kelsie, we're using our venue's coordinator, and she will be the point person and make sure things run smoothly.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well... I did... but as of last week she had to cancel :/ with that being said - I did want one but that was only because our venue has little to no cell phone reception and would have been a great help for emergencies.

I would say that if you don't have a big wedding party or close family to help you set up on the day of or night before (whatever your venue allows you) then a planner is a great help for knowing where everything has to be and showing where to put things without your wedding party leaving your side.

If you can find one for a decent enough price then I say to go for it - the wedding planner that we had hired was going to cost us $1,000 for month of/ day of coordination. That seems to be the starting price for most that I looked into after she had to step down.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you need the help its the best bet having one! For me I have the time and can do it. Sometimes I need advice though and find it hard with no help.

We hired a day of coordinator and my fh was all on board with it!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you are not a planner or an organized person, a wedding planner could be super helpful.
    We didnt feel the need to spend the money on the wedding planner and I have done everything on my own with a million different lists. It took a lot of time in the beginning and many late nights organizing everything but I loved it!
    You do have a good amount of time to start the planning. Never too early when it comes to wedding planning!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH is also in the camp of thinking planners are a waste of money.

We both are super busy and we’ve planned our whole wedding by ourselves. The best advice is start as soon as possible! You still have over a year so you’re ahead of the game.

the only thing I wish I could convince my fiancé to do is a Day of Coordinator. For set up or if things go wrong, they’ll be there. They will also be point of contact for your vendors the day of.

we aren’t using a day of coordinator either, our venue has a coordinator so we are going to use her as much as we can!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics