Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Danielle
Frequent user July 2022 Manitoba

Wedding party choreographed Country Swing dance? Yes or no

Danielle, on September 17, 2019 at 15:44 Posted in Wedding reception 0 20
FH and I are having a country-themed barn wedding. Our wedding party is coincidentally all couples (tight-knit friend group lol), and if they don't already know, they're learning or are willing to learn how to swing dance (country swing).

We're likely not having any father/daughter or mother/son dances. I don't have a dad (well I do obviously but he's not invited), and FH was already on the fence about doing one with his mom but he doesn't want to be the only one to do it. So instead of that I thought it would be fun if we asked our wedding party to learn a dance choreographed by MOH and I. MOH and her husband (best man) are totally on board to help everyone learn the steps (they're the most proficient).

I used to be a competitive dancer until I got hit by a car in 11th grade so choreographed group dances are kinda my thing lol. While I do totally love the barn theme and our venue and all that (it was actually my idea - I love going to rodeos and stuff and MOH has offered to give me riding lessons so I can learn to barrel race), it's still mostly FH's thing and I feel like having the choreographed dance would bring a little bit of my biggest passion into the wedding as well.

So...would that be fun, or weird?

20 Comments

Latest activity by Danielle, on October 23, 2019 at 16:40
  • Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah I hope they're fully receptive of the idea! FH and I have had a lot of fun learning how to do the moves. There are lots of YouTube videos online for anyone else who wants to learn Smiley smile
  • M
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think this sounds so unique and fun!! I agree with other users who say make sure that your Bride Squad gets excited about the idea - let them know that you are SO PUMPED about the idea, and I'm sure that your excitement will cure even the most stage-frightened member of the party!

BUT there is one rule: take a video and post it for all of us to see! (If you're comfortable of course). Have fun!!!

• DrB
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    DrB ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Make sure your bridal party is 100% on board. I wouldn’t swing dance in front of people- especially people that know me- because I’m painfully introverted. If your friends are willing, it’s a nice touch
  • Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm glad others seem to like the idea!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That sounds like so much fun! It would definietely be unique and fun for your guests to watch.

• Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah I thought it would be cool! I still have yet to talk to everyone seriously about it but I think it would be awesome. I even considered teaching the kids in the party how to two-step and then having them do that around the dance floor but ultimately I decided that as cute as it would be it wouldn't be worth risking them cutting corners and getting kicked in the head lol.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that will be totally fun!! do it! it will be so different!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not usually - but every cocktail hour that I've attended is so boring and you just stand there eating hors d'oeuvres and making small talk. I know that if I had an option of longer time to dance or have an hour before supper of eating small food while talking small talk I would pick longer time to dance. Especially once you bring in polka's and 2 steps Smiley tongue

• Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Cocktail hour isn't typically seated though? I've never seen it that way even on tv. Ours is happening on a patio.
  • Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ya, we aren't even having a cocktail hour - why put on a whole hour of food and drinks that I don't get to enjoy??? lol Instead of cocktail hour we are going to have first look photos followed by all of the normal wedding pics, ceremony which will be at most 10 min, then straight to reception/entrance/supper etc. Never mind the guests not being able to sit that long, I can't!

• Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I guess I just feel that after that other wedding we went to (where cocktail hour ended at 5:30 but dinner didn't start until almost 8, and they tried - and failed - to keep us in our seats the whole time), asking them to wait 15 minutes for us to enter (and that's really because I want to wait for people to be like "oh crap I gotta pee") before we enter and all that really isn't so bad. That's really the only time we're asking them to sit with absolutely nothing to do (after that we'll be entering, then dinner, then speeches, then dancing, so there will always be something to watch/do/listen to).

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

True, that makes sense - I'll probably do speeches during supper but I've got lots of early 20 year olds attending mine (as I'm 22) so I can just imagine how much they want to get to dancing/ outside to the bonfires and yard games Smiley tongue

• Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The wedding we went to recently they tried to do speeches during dinner because photos ran late by like 2 hours and they were trying to make up for lost time, and the groom confessed later that he'd only had 2 bites of his meal because there was too much going on. We'll have music and stuff going through dinner and a bunch of our guests are older relatives so they likely won't do much dancing anyway. Plus we'll have the DJ until 12:30am so that's still like 6 hours of party time afterwards! And if speeches end early we can always move right into dancing without a break. Smiley smile

I'm not too concerned. We know our crowd. Smiley smile
  • Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hmmmm quite a bit of sitting and not doing anything for the guests... what if you were to do the speeches as supper goes on? I'm assuming that if it's plated or even if it's buffet that you guys will finish eating first so you could get the speeches going before supper ends? That way it won't seem so dragged on with just sitting?

• Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is the order I was planning on:

2:30 - ceremony (so really 3 because even if the guests aren't late I probably will be hahaha #oops although maybe not because I'm hiring out hair and makeup and that's what usually makes me late)
    3:30 - cocktail hour/photos
    4:30 - everyone into the reception hall
    4:45 - grand entrance/introduce the party
    5:00 - dinner
    6:00 - speeches (hopefully this is a generous amount of time)
    6:30 - first dance/choreographed dance/dancing starts
  • Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That is super fun! I think it would be very entertaining for guests and fun for you and your wedding party. Go for it!
  • Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm not sure when your first dance is - some people go straight into that before supper right after they enter the reception but others do that right after they eat.

Either way - either after the first dance or after the head table finishes eating, that's when I would do this choreographed dance. That way people are still seated and maybe some that were served or got to go to the buffet last are still eating too.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That is not weird, I think that sounds awesome!

• Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    There will definitely be line dancing! I'm just worried that the crowd would get bored after watching us go around twice lol. I was planning to use a line dance right afterwards to get everyone on the floor. Smiley smile
  • Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not weird at all! I love those videos of the whole wedding party dancing!

At very minimum it would be cool to learn how to line dance if they don't already know how to Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics