Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Karen
Expert September 2018 Ontario

Wedding invitations - when to send?

Karen, on February 22, 2018 at 19:55 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 26
How far along do you send your wedding invitations?? My wedding is Sept and thinking to send in May. Fiance think too early.

26 Comments

Latest activity by Jessica, on February 27, 2018 at 13:20
  • Jessica
    Frequent user September 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married in September as well and just sent out our invites. Since we decided to skip the save the dates we decided to send out invites earlier!
  • A
    Newbie September 2018 Ontario
    Alisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Save the dates should be sent out in April/May invites at the End of June beginning of July. Unless you are having the wedding on labour day weekend than send your invites out at the end of May beginning of June

• Nadia
    Newbie September 2018 Ontario
    Nadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is also in Sept. I will send my over seas invitations earlier. I'm thinking in mid March and ask for rsvps by may. Then send the local ones In June.
  • Joyann
    Curious July 2018 Ontario
    Joyann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our wedding is this July and we are sending invites out in early March. We sent the Save the dates in January. I think 4 months is reasonable.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are sending ours in November and our wedding is May, we will ask for a reply by January
  • Brenda
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Brenda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I sent mine 1st week in Jan and our wedding is end of April. Asked for replies to be in for end of Feb first weeks of March so I can do seating plans and have a count for food etc.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That’s not too early at all! I plan to send my invitations out at least 6 months in advance to ensure the out-of-country guests can make the appropriate arrangements.
  • Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am probably going to send both my save the dates and invitations early. My reasons are I have family who live in BC and Ontario who will need to save for flights and accommodations. I had called my one aunt and she wasn’t even aware I was getting married. I also will be sending out invites earlier so that if I have people who can’t make it then I can invite others. I kind of wish weddings weren’t so expensive and that I would love to invite everyone.
  • Meghan
    Frequent user August 2018 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn’t send out save the dates and a lot of my family from out of town were starting to ask for details as they need to plan so we decided to send them this month for our aug wedding. My fiancé’s aunt got hers and made a comment about how she’s never gotten a wedding invitation so early. I don’t get why some people feel they have to wait until 2 months or so to send them out!
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that is a great time to send them out. I do not understand all the "etiquette" things saying that you only need to send them out 2 months ahead of your date.

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We just sent our Save-the-Dates literally yesterday for our August 18th wedding. Planning on sending our invites beginning of May and asking for RSVPs by July 15th.

We chose to send Save-the-Dates because it's a popular time of year and we're having an adults only wedding so wanted to give parents time to plan accordingly.

I think sending yours out in May is just fine Smiley smile

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

May is a good amount of time I think, considering you have let people know the date already.

I wanted RSVP's back 2 months before to have that time to work on chasing people who didn't RSVP and the seating chart. We are sending ours out in April for a July wedding, so we are only giving people 1 month to RSVP. But, we did send out save the dates, so out of towners have already started booking flights and accommodations!

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We get married June 9th and sent out the invites at the end of January.

• Karen
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Woah i think of the menu part. But im using the free website on here to rsvp so perhaps I'll just also add in menu choice and they can email me there choice.
  • Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    May for a September wedding sounds good to me. We wanted to send ours in March or April (we're getting married on August 4), but we'll have to wait until late May to be able to include our menu options, since guests have to choose in advance.
    Because of that, we'll need to make sure all of the out-of-towners know the date sooner. They do constitute most of our list - including us - and the town is a popular summer destination.
  • Ashleigh
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting Married on August 25. We have collected about half of the addresses needed. We are aiming to send them out in March. Because our wedding is in the summer, we thought the earlier the better. For a September wedding I'd say beginning of April would be good. You'll need to provide your caterer with final numbers usually about a month ahead.
  • Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sending them earlier is good because you can get the RSVPs back faster and not be stressed at the very end. Also, if there is anyone you had to cut from the list to make space for obligatory family, you can send out a second round of invitations once you know how many people won't be able to make it Smiley smile
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Although we have our invitations prepared for over two weeks now we will be sending them in March and we are getting married late July, so approximately 4 months before the wedding. We also did not do save the dates, but all our guests are informed about the date.
  • K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're not doing Save the Dates, so we planned to send ours early so the out of towners could make arrangements for time off and travel as needed. I'm starting to wonder if we should do save the dates after all and then the invites later in case people need a reminder closer to the date o.O

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh yeah then May should be good. In Jan I made a FB group for save the dates Smiley smile but I don't have everyone on FB so direct family & close friends know the date but not all. So we will sending them out about 5 months before the wedding

• Karen
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No i didn't just let them know since January about our date and they pretty much already booked it off
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    May will give ample time for out of town guests enough time to respond and get their papers together.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Did you send out save the dates in advance? If so then May should be good. Mine is Sept 22 and I plan to have them all handed out by the end of March.

• Karen
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yea that is my thought. Half of our guest are from the state and some from the other side of the world.
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We sent invitations out in Jan for a July wedding so 7 months before the wedding.

I dont think may is too early!
  • Amber
    Devoted September 2018 Alberta
    Amber ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My wedding is September 1! I plan on having the inviations out by June 1. I don't think may is too early, if alot of your guest are from out of town the earlier the better so they have more time to make plans to attend.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics