Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sharla
Curious July 2021 Alberta

Wedding invitations for undisclosed location

Sharla, on October 15, 2019 at 20:10 Posted in Before the wedding 0 6
My fiancé and I are getting married in early summer next year. We have booked a venue and are excited about it!

Our venue however is not one we want people to know where it is. We are going to provide transportation for EVERYONE. There is very limited parking so we don’t want people driving themselves. We also are VERY against drinking and driving so by providing transportation we can avoid this entirely.
Our problem is when it comes to sending wedding invitations. All the templates we find have a venue address but we do not want to include this (despite our provided transportation we have guests who will drive themselves anyways and then drink + drive). The hotel information, transportation details and other information will be available on our wedding website.

We have already sent out save the dates but just included the city our venue is in, the date and our website address. What should we do for our wedding invites? We don’t want to spend more money to just send out the same information again. Is there a way we can word it on the invites without disclosing our venue? Or should we just send e-invites that say “for more information please visit our website “?

6 Comments

Latest activity by Nelly, on October 17, 2019 at 19:26
  • Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would put the pick up location on the invitations

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have to agree with all of Meagan's points below. Its fine to put the address of the pickup location, but how do guests leave the venue? Is it more about the parking challenges, or is it mostly concern about people drinking and driving?

If its about parking, I would put "Please visit our wedding website for directions and details", or something along those lines. You have more space on the wedding website to stress to guests that parking at the venue is scarce, and that transportation will be provided. List the location and pick up time(s), and provide details for how the heck they'll get home, because that would for sure be my first question as a guest. Some might prefer to have a DD, or maybe they'll prefer to grab a cab, what if they're running late and missed the bus? You still have to tell them where the venue is.

Be prepared for questions. This is pretty unorthodox and people will be confused.

If the main concern is drinking and driving...I mean....you know your crowd...but my feeling is that they're adults, and you can't control 120 or however many people. You can give them all the tools for getting home safely, but at the end of they day, they're going to make those decisions.

Our venue was an hour out of the city. We provided hotel and cab info, but we found that most guests still drove home, and just made plans for a DD.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Are you getting your guests picked up at one location? I would have that address on the invitations and a time to be there to by
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think people would start calling and asking where the venue is. i know i would. but are you picking up each person at their house specifically? how do you know if they are coming to both the ceremony and reception? what happens if theyre not ready when your car arrives?

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well invitations on Vista Print are customizable and you should be able to get rid of that line - but otherwise maybe you could list the place they are to meet up to catch the shuttle?

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I definitely understand the disdain for driving under the influence. That said, I see some challenges with your plan even beyond the invitations.
    How will you be ensuring all guests can leave when they want to?
    Is everyone staying at the same hotel or are you wanting people to drive to a pickup location. If so, is there parking? Is it free? What if some are running late? As for the drinking and driving, wouldn't the transportation just take them back to their cars?
    I wouldn't enjoy not knowing where I was going and being uncertain how and when I could leave. I would enjoy it even less if I found out this was because the host had such little faith in me that she felt I couldn't be trusted to not drink and drive.
    This is what I would suggest:If the concern is about parking, come up with a solution for that. Maybe that includes locating parking 5 minutes away and you can just run a shuttle all night.
    If the concern is about driving after drinking, consider a dry wedding. Or ensure bar staff are committed to not serving anyone who is impaired (they shouldn't anyway). Or have your reception at or near a hotel and encourage guests to book a room.
    If you are really set on having a surprise location, I suppose you could enter the meeting location as the venue with the time they need to be there and then indicate they will be taken to a secret location.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics