Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Newbie September 2018 Ontario

Wedding Guest - attire

Nats, on July 31, 2018 at 11:07 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 8

I am attending a wedding where my husband will be standing. (we are both friends with the groom)

The wedding ceremony is at 2pm, followed by cocktails and dinner/reception at 5 or 6pm (I'll have to double check). No dress codes have been specified.

Being a heavier woman, finding a dress can be near impossible. All the dress colours are white, navy or bright blue, purple or black. Quite limiting.

Her wedding colour, based on my recollection of the tux fitting, is cobalt blue. Given I am NOT part of the wedding party, would a navy blue dress be a faux-pas?

Should my dress be rather basic or should I dress up a bit more given my husband's title, or does it not matter?

I'm just trying to not look like I'm trying to be in the wedding party, without being to casual... Having a hard time on this one!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Also.... what is the attire for rehearsal dinner? We have been given no instruction on this, only that we were both to attend. HELP!!!!! I don't want to screw this up!! Smiley smile

8 Comments

Latest activity by Jennifer, on August 3, 2018 at 15:31
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think navy would be just fine! Smiley smile
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For your outfit I think navy would be ok but you can always show a picture of a dress you like to the bride and ask her if that is different enough for her as you don’t want to look too similar. Navy is a pretty common default colour for a lot of people so hopefully she understands that.
    If no dress code was given for the wedding cocktail attire is always a safe go to. For the rehearsal ask where the dinner will be and then if your still unsure just ask the groom.

• N
    Nats ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't anticipate being in ANY of their wedding pictures - I don't want to, regardless! LOL! But it still needs to look cute for our selfies later in the evening Smiley smile hehe

• N
    Nats ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Funny - Lauras is where I bought the navy dress...

Thank you!!! Smiley smile

• N
    Nats ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you!

i definitely always try to coordinate with my partner - even if its just selfies at a Friday night dinner at a local pub - it just looks cute and presents well - coordinate, not matchy-matchy! lol

I don't want it to look like I'm trying to be a part of the wedding party either, but my husband will be in a full tux (though rented).

I bought this dress, but upon reflection, think this might be best suited for the evening portion of the event and I should get something lighter in colour for the ceremony.

https://www.laura.ca/en/laura/clothing/dresses/high-low-belted-dress/3010103-0932.html?dwvar_3010103-0932_color=496&start=23&ccgid=laura-clothing-dresses-wedding-guests#size=82&start=59

I scored a plain silver pump to match the dress and have very simple crystal bella earrings.

The rehearsal dinner will be at the bride's parent's house, I believe? If not at the same hotel as the wedding...? We are trying to get that info clarified with the groom (3 cheers for opposite work schedules lol)

The wife is very plain and casual, low-maintenance kind of gal, but her dress is quite poofy with a sequin bodice - no idea on the bridesmaids dress style, as that is usually my guide...

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Nats,

Funny my wedding colour is Cobalt Blue. I would love if my FH's groomsmens dates/wives matched them - I always appreciate when a couple looks put together. Honestly I would say that the only no no's would be to wear a dress that is just cobalt blue or white (obviously). Get your husband to ask the groom to verify the bridesmaids are wearing cobalt.

I think you would look smashing in either Navy or I think it would be great to try to find a dress that has a little bit of cobalt blue in it like a floral pattern. I've found Laura and the Bay have a great selection of dresses in all sizes and while they're now always the cheapest, usually go on sale

Here are a couple sites with nice dresses I found that might work:

https://www.laura.ca/en/plus/clothing/dresses/?size=128

http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/thebay/brands/plus-size-dresses/ - there are quite a few flowery dresses that would compliment Cobalt on here

As for the rehearsal I would again say to have your husband ask if you are all going for dinner afterwards and if so, where? There is a big difference in dressing for a casual barbeque (I would wear capris and a pretty blouse) and a nice restaurant (a nice dress - black is okay here or dress pants & blouse). It's hard to dress for this if you don't know where you're going.

Hope this helps and good luck shopping my dear!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree... go ahead and wear navy. Honestly, if my guests managed to coordinate with my wedding colours, I wouldn't be mad at all. It's better than showing up in a colour that clashes, in my opinion.
    Also, you probably still want to coordinate slightly with your partner.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well IMO I think it would be fine to wear a navy dress. As much as he is the one in the wedding party - he is also your date for the evening. If it were my wedding I wouldn't care as long as you don't wear white... now that would be a fashion faux-pas. Plus tbh the pictures that I have at my own wedding won't be including the S/O's of the wedding party so it won't matter what they wear.

As for the rehearsal dinner - do you at least know where it will be?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics