Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tamara
Beginner July 2019 Alberta

Wedding Gift Thank Yous

Tamara, on May 23, 2019 at 11:10 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 12

I am wanting to know what the etiquette for wedding thank yous.

We have received some RSVPs which people unfortunately had to decline attending our wedding, but in the response they did send a monetary gift with their response. What is the protocol for sending a thank you card, do we send it right away or do we wait until after the wedding when we send all of our thank you cards?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Tamara, on May 24, 2019 at 10:53
  • Tamara
    Tamara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Glad I'm not the only one. We will definitely be sending Thank You cards just after the wedding but will also call them to say thank you and let them know we will be thinking of them on the day.

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have also received monetary gifts/cards from people that are unable to attend. We called to say thank you and sorry that they cant make it but will also be sending a thank you card with photo after the wedding.
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is what I was thinking myself. You could send them a thank you card for the gift while saying they will be missed. Also if the RSVP's and money are from older people they will be expecting a thank you sooner rather than later.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wait until the wedding is done and you have received the Thank You cards to send out to those who didn't attend too. Its the appreciation shown towards them for what they gave you.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Etiquette : you have 3 months after your wedding date to mail out thank you notes/cards.

Even though the gifts are already rolling in, you don't have to send your thank you notes now. Most couples will wait until after a few photos from the day are ready and include them in or as the card itself.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm gonna wait to send out my thank you cards, since I want to have a wedding photo on them! You can definitely call them ahead of time and thank them for the monetary gift, and then send the thank-you card after the wedding.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with Amanda on this one. Even though you have gotten the gift before the wedding, maybe just a quick phone call thanking them, and then send out a thank you after the wedding when you send them all out.

For me this would just make things easier to keep track of who has been sent one!

• Tamara
    Tamara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This was new to me as well. I'm thinking of sending the thank you card before just because I would like to acknowledge their generous gift and let them know their presence will be missed on our day. Also since the gifts were in the forms of cheques I'm thinking it would be weird to cash the cheque and not say thank you right away, or not cash it until the wedding and have them wondering if we received their envelope.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve never heard of this! I would personally send a thank you right away.

theyre giving it in advance of the wedding so I don’t think it’s nice to wait until after the wedding to thank them.
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think for the most part people who aren't attending may not expect to actually receive a thank you card at all... I'm with you and I definitely plan on sending them something because they were still kind enough to give us a gift. My point is, I don't think they will expect anything this early or maybe not at all - so I don't see any harm in waiting to send them out. Truthfully, I have been to weddings where I didn't get a thank you card so etiquette to some isn't the same to all.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well then.... I've never heard of them sending a gift before the wedding - I have heard of some sending cards around the time of the wedding though so that would mean just sending them a thank-you card with the rest of them.

For this I would say that a phone call to thank them should suffice until you have a thank-you card with a picture of you and your FH on your wedding day. If I was in their shoes I would want that pic of the wedding day but want to know that you received the money sooner rather than later.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally am waiting until I send them all out. I want to send a picture of us from the wedding in the cards, so even for people who can't make it and sent a gift, I would still like to send the same card with the picture.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics