Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Julia
Beginner June 2022 Ontario

Wedding Gift Registry.... Do i really need one? 😶

Julia, on March 12, 2020 at 06:20 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 10
My Fiancé & I have been talking about whether or not we want to go a Gift Registry for our wedding. We're on the fence - we don't want to do one we because we don't want people to feel obligated to get us a gift.

Are any other of you lovely brides having the same problem? Or have you already come up with a different idea that you'd love to share with me? 🥰😇 We're stumped haha!

10 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on March 16, 2020 at 10:59
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wedding registry is a good idea if you do need a few things only and guests will get those for you. You can arrange it to have be sent to your home address to avoid carrying them after the wedding. This was done by some cousins for a baby shower so they had family buy them the gifts and not carry anything with them to the wedding. Not going with a wedding registry is ok because you can start a target to start for what you both fee is important and getting monetary gifts comes handy to put towards that goal. Most couples live together now a days and avoid getting more than what is needed due to having everything at home set.
  • Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I couldn't have said it any better myself 😂 We've been in our own place for a year, so we really don't need anything.

Thanks for your input 🥰
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im not doing one. people can bring what they want to bring. we live together so i dont need more towels and home crap. my entire side always walks with envelopes for the past almost 10 years so im not even worried about this. unless you neeeeeeed things i wouldnt bother i rather have the cash to pay for our hall lol

• Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's what I had said to my other in law! I just want people to come & celebrate our special day with us. But she suggested something like a donation box. With a little sign that says "Donations are accepted, but not obligated". But I'm still iffy on the idea.

But after getting hearing what you ladies are doing, it kind of helps a little bit! Smiley smile
  • Marissa
    Frequent user October 2021 Alberta
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel the same way I don't want to push it on people. I made one on bed bath and beyond website, and I only will send someone the link if they ask me about it.
  • Julia
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks for all the input ladies! I'll be passing all of this along to my Fiancé and hopefully we'll come up with an idea Smiley smile
  • Emily
    Expert September 2020 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds like an awesome website! I will have to check it out. Thanks for posting this Julia, the comments were super helpful!🌟
  • Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You don't need to register if you don't want to, but keep in mind some guests will prefer to give you a physical gift.

My cousin and his wife didn't have a registry and instead had a "money tree" but at her bridal shower every single guest decided to buy something that would be on a typical registry even though they hadn't asked for anything.

My FH and I created two very small registries because of this scenario, though we aren't expecting most of our guests to shop off of them.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You don’t need one if you don’t want one. We don’t have one for our bridal shower or our wedding.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You don't need one. If you skip it try to mention that you don't want gifts or that a little help funding the honeymoon would be nice. People like a suggestion because they will more than likely get you something even if you say you don't want gifts.

We weren't going to register, but some of my mom's friends are throwing me a shower and I worried that they would buy things we don't need at all. We are using a site called MyRegistry.com so we can add stuff from Amazon, bed bath and beyond, and any other website that sells anything. I added Ikea and Home Depot cards to help fund our future kitch reno! I kept the list on the lower side and added a few moderate splurges like a new blender and some fancy sheets, otherwise most things are under $50.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics