Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Newbie August 2021 Alberta

Wedding food

Gracia, on July 7, 2020 at 19:31 Posted in Wedding reception 0 6
Is there such a thing as a bring your own food wedding ( well I mean I have alot of Amazing cooks in the family that to save some money I would rather buy food and then cook it at home then bring it to the wedding... Instead of having to hire a caterer. )

6 Comments

Latest activity by Zorro, on August 31, 2022 at 08:37
  • Patricia
    Newbie April 2021 Ontario
    Patricia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is do-able, but it may depend on whether your venue allows outside food. If they do, there may also be additional requirements.

In my case, my venue did have specific requirements for outside food vendors. We plan on ordering desserts and auntie's and uncle's good eats cooked from home were on the no-fly list. I think this is in place for food safety (e.g. proper food handling).

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Pot luck is a nice way of getting family to bring a dish to save the cost of a caterer. Knowing who makes what dish the best, that will be easier to make a menu of your liking for all the guests to enjoy. A slab cake from Costco isn't a bad idea to have for dessert as the wedding cake.

• A
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with hank. This is do-able if it's a very small event. Otherwise, i don't think it's appropriate.

• G
    Newbie August 2021 Alberta
    Gracia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Okay I will ask forsure thanks for the response!
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Some venues will let you use different food vendors, so I assume they would be ok with homemade food too. I would ask in case there are food preparation rules or bylaws that might affect you bringing it.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A potluck? You can do it if it's a small affair, like 20 people that are within family and really close friends, but personally I would not recommend it. The idea of me being a guest having to prepare a big enough dish to feed many people while getting ready is not my idea of fun. Not to mention the food safety issues. You mentioned you have good cooks in the family but is that every guest on the invite list? Professional caterers and restaurants have a food handling license. Who knows what Uncle Jesse or Cousin Jack is doing.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics