Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Paige
Frequent user June 2019 Manitoba

Wedding flower meanings

Paige, on February 11, 2019 at 14:25 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 26
Is anyone else struggling with picking specific flowers due to their meaning? I’m trying to convince myself meanings don’t matter. For example I love purple carnations but they mean capriciousness. How do I let go of this and just pick colours?

26 Comments

Latest activity by Deborah, on February 28, 2019 at 08:47
  • Deborah
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Deborah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Somewhat. I would like to incorporate a single red rose in my bouquet, despite not having any red in my colour scheme as it is the official flower of my home county, Lancashire. Other than that, I am going with what I like, and what will look good together.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Meanings only matter if they matter to you. They won't matter to anyone else.. so I say do the research if it's significant to you, if it's not then who cares and just go for colours.

• Paige
    Paige ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ouu that would be lovely! That’s another thing, neither of us like the heat lol. That’s crazy, I don’t even understand how people stay completely calm and not stressed at all.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're thinking of Aruba since we're both in love with the heat and have never been there. There's also zero chances of hurricanes there, so that was a huge selling point lol.

It's difficult trying to travel with the uncertainty of health, best just to keep it simple and do something a little safer.

And feel free to vent to me for anything girl! I'm totally a realistic bride who understands the stress of it all! I've got a friend who's getting married 3 months after me and I don't know if she just hides it better than I do, but she doesn't seem to be phased by planning and it's irritating! Like, it's a big deal!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't heard of flower meanings.

I know flower choices are based on the colours of the invitation or overall look. I had chosen simple white floral ball artificial rental due to cost and vase per table to keep things elegant.

• Paige
    Paige ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for getting me lol. Seriously.. I feel like I’m losing my mind and if one more person tells me “ you’ve got lots of time, don’t worry about it” im going to scream.

I’m from there and my fiancé has been there of course but barely and hasn’t had a chance to enjoy a lot of it’s newer aspects due to his health so it’ll be fun showing him around and taking him to my favourite places. We didn’t want to put the money into travelling for two reasons, neither of us can ever guarantee we’ll feel well enough to do the travelling and we’re putting everything into saving for a house. what are your honeymoon plans?
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow 4 months! I can just imagine how you're feeling with everything coming up. I'm 6 months out and the pressure is on.

I love the idea of a staycation honeymoon in Winnipeg, I love Winnipeg! FH is from there and I've traveled there several times, such a nice place Smiley smile

• Farah
    Newbie June 2019 Ontario
    Farah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm trying to bring meaning into my flowers too on my big day. I think the only think I'm focusing on with colour is that I want a whole lot of it (think, Indian jewel tones), so I'm not reading too much into the meaning behind the colour itself. My wedding is a fusion wedding (we were both born in Canada, but my fiance's family is Irish/English/Scottish and my family is Indian/Ugandan). We are using a mix of flowers from all of those countries in our floral arrangements (the fellas are all wearing Ankara-print fabric rose lapel pins to represent my Ugandan side while the ladies have a blend of Irish, English and Scottish florals in their bouquets). Whatever we can't find through the florist, we're making out of fabric or paper to tie in the countries together.

I say go for the colour you want to go for! Everyone's going to love it, because you love it. And if you love the colour or flower, then that's all that matters Smiley laugh

• Alycia
    Expert March 2020 Ontario
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My pleasure! Yeah the faux has that nice little perk I think I will treasure it!

• Paige
    Paige ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ou! That sounds gorgeous! Yeah it’s actually colours that change the meaning mostly but I’m going to try to let it go. I keep going back and forth about doing my bouquet in faux flowers to keep it. Thanks for the info!
  • Kristi
    Curious February 2020 Ontario
    Kristi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sounds so exciting!!!
  • Alycia
    Expert March 2020 Ontario
    Alycia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know what you mean! I love all flowers, I love symbolism too! I find that can be so important, but I wouldn’t worry about it so much. If you love carnations go with it!! Pick the colour based on symbology if you want. Colours have meanings too.

I decided to go with our birth month flowers. Roses for him in June and Lily of the Valleys for me in May, I’m gonna do those both white to stand out and white has lots of good meanings for weddings as we all know. The rest of my flowers in my bouquet will be decided based on my colours and what I can find in those colours. I’m making mine with artificial flowers so I can keep my bouquet forever as decor in our home!

I’m checking amazon and Micheals (when there’s specials, atm there’s a buy one get one sale with flowers at Micheals!

• Paige
    Paige ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Let’s just say there’s definitely other things stressing me out lol. Yes, so excited! Friday will be 4 months to the wedding! We’re doing sort of a staycation though technically getting away because we’re in steinbach and honeymooning in Winnipeg. We’re heading to the hotel the evening of our wedding day 😍.
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aww is everything else okay with you? I find that I've totally become extra sensitive about certain things (wedding-related and not), and I think it's just the stress. The good thing is that your planning is almost over and you'll be on a honeymoon (if you're going on one right after the wedding) soon!

• Toni Rose
    Frequent user October 2023 Ontario
    Toni Rose ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I totally understand!! And it's really hard to look at the grand scheme of things but in all honesty, guests aren't going to notice to smaller details even though we'd REALLY like them to lol. They're going to remember the big and obvious points (food, the music, the 'feel' of the whole party). I'm starting to get caught up in the small things (like how much it costs for parking) and it takes a lot of talking to myself to get back to reality lol
  • Toni Rose
    Frequent user October 2023 Ontario
    Toni Rose ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Most of your guests, unless they're involved in horticulture, probably won't know the significance or meanings of flowers. Definitely let go of that Smiley smile its your wedding so you can redefine them as your wedding flowers!
  • Kristi
    Curious February 2020 Ontario
    Kristi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You can always put a positive spin to anything. Another word for capricious is changeable. That’s not so bad. Changing with the seasons. Plus the Color purple is a sign of luxury and royalty. Smiley smile
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I mean, if a flower has a meaning to you - then by all means try and incorporate them! But I won't be looking for meaning from flowers that just look pretty.

Example - I want forget me not flowers at the in memory table because not only do they go with what the table is, but they are my favourite flowers.

As for my bouquet, I just want purple and blue and call it a day!

• Paige
    Paige ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Very true. For me I didn’t find spontaneity a plus lol but I’ll take it. 😊
  • Paige
    Paige ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Alright, alright lol. I’ll let it go. I’ll admit I’m struggling a lot with wedding planning with my anxiety being so intense lately. I overthink every little thing and “just letting it go” isn’t going so well.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I honestly don't think it matters or that guests would notice. Really just go with what you like and what fits with your wedding design/theme.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will also say - Flowers almost always have multiple meanings. For example, with your purple carnations:

The purple carnation is a symbol of unpredictability, spontaneity and capriciousness. It also means that something is whimsical and changeable.

Personally, I think whimsical-ness and spontaneity are good things! Go with those meanings!

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree - the meanings are not important. I didn't even consider the meanings when I picked my flowers - I picked flowers I loved and in colours I wanted to get the overall look I desired.

For fun, though, since you made me wonder, I looked it up:

White lilies: Chastity and virtue (HAHAHA. I'm nearly 38 and this is my first marriage - I am not chaste or virtuous!)

White roses: Everlasting love; love stronger than death, eternal love. Purity.

White orchids: Reverence and humility, innocence and purity, and elegance and beauty.

Blue orchids: Rarity.

So I got lucky - not a bad 'meaning' bouquet, but I don't care about the meaning. Smiley smile

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Nevermind the meanings.
    It’s all about the aesthetic and how the colours make you and your guests FEEL.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Bianca! I feel flowers on a wedding day are much more about the colour than the meaning when it comes to the general population. That might just be me but I did not take any meaning into consideration with my flowers, just picked ones I loved and worked!

Now that being said, I would never bring someone black flowers/roses when they're in the hospital because obviously then they can have more meaning, but a wedding I feel the flowers are to compliment your colour and themes over anything else!

• Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would let go of it! Flowers can just be flowers if you let them be. There's so many decisions to think about when planning your wedding, I figure why not just let this be an easy one and go with the ones that are beautiful and you love?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics