Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Devoted October 2018 Ontario

Wedding favours

Emily, on September 21, 2018 at 07:31

Posted in Plan a wedding 74

What are people’s thougts on them? Are you doing them? If you are/did what did you do, how much did you spend? Did anyone do a donation to a cause instead? Just looking for ideas.
What are people’s thougts on them? Are you doing them? If you are/did what did you do, how much did you spend?

Did anyone do a donation to a cause instead?

Just looking for ideas.

74 Comments

• Katelyn
    Newbie May 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We won't be having favours. I feel like they are an added expense that isn't really necessary. And a lot of the time it gets left behind.
  • Laura
    Frequent user October 2018 British Columbia
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have little jars of honey as favours. Ordered them from someone at a farmer's market so they're local and also reasonably priced. We did our own labels and attached them to the jars with ribbon.

I definitely agree that favours should be edible/usable.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We gave crystal motive with tea light in a nice box with a thank you card.
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree that if you are going to do favours, they should be edible or usable in some form.

My fiancé and I are leaning toward organic tea; originally we were going to do wine, but realized there are approximately eight children coming so we'd have to opt for something else for them. (Additionally, we have four vegans attending so finding a vegan-friendly wine would be another hassle).

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing wildflower seed bombs/envelopes filled with seeds as well as coffee from a local coffee shop in town that I have worked at for 11 years! We will have them by the card table for people to take 😊
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s awesome! I love squish haha
  • Monica
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Monica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing favours. We bought red and gold Chinese themed boxes on eBay and will package Squish gummies in them. In total, will cost us about $250-$300.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hahah yeah it's definitely the Italian in me that is saying that bombonieres are important! I think that they have come a long way and people are giving favours that are unconventional compared to what was given out before (the bomboniere from my moms wedding was an ashtray...).

I love that you're going to donate to a charity that's so close to you! If any of your guests have an issue with that, they're monsters lol.

• Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The finished product

Wedding favours 1

• Leanne
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I made a post about it. I will be quite honest, it is a bit time consuming but I did it by myself. If you had some family members or friends help I am sure it would get done much quicker. Took me 5 hours total to make 180 oils and another 2-3 hours to label them.

https://www.weddingwire.ca/forums/diy-favours-and-instructions--t20305

• Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I honestly truly agree with you! I wouldn’t be upset going to a wedding and not getting a favour. And the idea they your guests “need” to be thanked with a favour seems a bit old fashioned to me. Yes people are attending and chances are they are giving you a gift but it shouldn’t be a chore to attend the day to celebrate our love so much so that you’re expecting something. The gesture obviously is nice and we may still do something but I’m in the same page as you with thus.
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds lovely!
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    How did you make the oil if you don’t mind me asking? Like this idea!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did potted plants as the favour. They were the centrepieces, so we didn't have to spend any extra money on them, and we also didn't have a lot of extra centrepieces!

• Leanne
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you are you going to do favours it should be something your guests will use.

I was able to make homemade infused olive oils from scratch for half the price of what if would've cost to buy them pre-made and packaged. It took some extra time, but worth it.

Some other edible ideas that I have seen be big hits have been, mini maple syrup, s'more kits, and jams...alcohol is always a good one too (make your own wine and give 1 bottle per couple).

If you don't want to do a consumable, some other ideas I have seen: candles, bottle openers, and shot glasses.

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wasn’t going to do favours. We are having a candy bar and we have bags for people to fill so I thought that would be good enough.

But then my fiancé got lose on the internet lol. He found personalized stemless wine glasses and he ordered those to give everyone. Thankfully we are having a small wedding so it didn’t cost too much.
  • Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have on Organic Soap company and I have been doing lots of wedding favors for other brides. For my own wedding, I am considering giving each guest a favor box with organic soap, bath bomb, bath salt and moisturizer in it.

• Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Great options! I’ve done the personalized m&ms for work before. Cute and delicious haha
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s awesome!!
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for your input! Honestly it does get $$. We are doing Minibons as part of our dessert but we have a lot of other desserts as well as I have a vintage ice cream truck coming. I was thinking of maybe just pre-boxing the minibons and the guests can either eat them then or take them home.
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aw that will be so nice!
  • Julianna
    Newbie August 2019 British Columbia
    Julianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I decided to do favours.
    decided to go along the lines of something cheaper and that people will actually use or enjoy! (Hopefully)
    My Grandma makes amazing jams so the month before the wedding I’m going to help her make a whole bunch and put them in some cute jars with some kind of wedding label!
  • S
    Frequent user January 2021 Alberta
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

As a guest, I don't think I would even notice let alone care if I went to a wedding that didn't have any favours. I probably have been haha

I think they're kind of a waste of money TBH.. because you have to buy so many, the costs really add up so it ends up just being some little thing that gets tossed in a junk drawer or some candy or something, and half the guests don't even take theirs with them. It is literally just throwing money away. I have absolutely no issue with it if people decide they'd rather spend their limited budget on more food, better drinks or a prettier decor.

Myself, because we are doing a DW, we will probably do a small Welcome Bag for each guest, but those will add up really quick so we will have to see how much room there is in the budget for that.

• Samantha
    Beginner May 2019 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m doing individual succulents in terracotta pots. They will double as place card holders and bonus extra greenery on tables. My hubby takes care of his succulents like a hobby, so we are growing them ourselves and kind of means something to us (and hopefully our guests too)

since we we are growing them we pretty much only needed to purchase soil and the pots and then a little ribbon and tag. I suspect when all is said and done it will cost 40$ for 70 favors
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are for sure doing favours. I am leaning towards doing personalized M&M's as FH is in love with M&M's. I have also looked into mini salt and peppers shakers.
    Still undecided, but these are my options so far

• Trudy
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Trudy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I love your hot chocolate favours. Even if people don’t drink hot chocolate they can eat the other goodies in it.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I believe favours are important, because it is an instant gratification for guests to see you've started to say "thank you"... I say started, because you should also do hand written, mailed out thank you cards once you've opened your wedding gifts (or received cards or whatever)...

But they shouldn't be something corny, wasteful, or useless. Edible favours are usually a big hit, or something that people will actually enjoy and use. But non-perishable gifts can sometimes be pricier.

We are doing individual hot chocolate cones (January wedding), one placed at each table setting. They will have personalized "Thank You" stickers on them, with our initials and wedding date. I already priced out all my ingredients and items, and it will be under $200 to do 110 favours. It suits our season, our theme, and even if people don't like hot chocolate, it lasts quite a while for them to use for guests at home, or kids, or their significant other gets double! Haha.

Wedding favours 2

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah - among our friends and family, food is king. We're a bunch of goofballs who all act like kids, so candy is perfect.

• Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s amazing!! I love candy. I’d be so happy with that.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm actually doing palm tree shaped bottle openers lol! So there will be something useful as well as we'll have an edible favour (chocolate or candy lol).

Each household/couple will get a bottle opener and each person will get a box of candy, at least that's my plan right now, it could change haha.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Is it the Italian that things "bombonieres" are important?? haha sorry. I had to.

I used to think they were a must. but I think of all of the favors that I have never used or get shoved in the junk drawer. and it just doesn't seem as necessary. that is why I do like the food style.

we are going to do something small. like some hersey kisses with customized stickers in a bag. and then a donation. the donation being done to a charity in memory of my dad that has passed away (so heart and stroke or diabetes foundation). I think if you do donation. it just needs to be a cause that is important to you and FH.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think they are a must. To me they are just something that if there is room in the budget then do it. People always say it's important to have to say thank you but I strongly disagree. I think being personally thanked is much more important, which we will do to all our guests. We will also send all our guests personalized thank you cards for attending. We will be taking a group photo with all our guests after the ceremony and that will go on the card. We are also paying for all of them to eat and drink all night as well as entertainment. I personally feel if a guest expects a favour or is upset about not getting one then they are just being ungrateful. All we are asking is that guests attend our wedding to celebrate with us so I don't see why more than a personal thank you and a card wouldn't be enough. Now if we were asking them to travel to us for the wedding then 100% we would give favours.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics