Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kelly
Expert September 2019 Manitoba

Wedding bands

Kelly, on July 17, 2018 at 12:58 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 23

How early is everybody shopping for their wedding bands? Has anybody got them from a different place than where your fiance got your engagement ring? I'll be honest, when we went there, I was pretty floored at 1) The cost of a simple 14k wedding band for my fiance, and 2) their lack of selection for either of us.

Been perusing James Allen. Has anybody bought from there? Thoughts and experiences?

Also, has anybody done a mixed metal look? Yellow or rose gold wedding band and white gold engagement ring?

Lo, so many questions!

23 Comments

Latest activity by Megs, on July 30, 2018 at 00:17
  • Megs
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Megs ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH and I got our wedding bands from the same man who custom made my engagement ring. I wanted my wedding band to be very classic and wanted it to match my engagement ring perfectly. My FH wanted a very classic tiffany’s style ring. We chose our rings together and we bought them 5 months before our wedding.
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had ours custom made. My engagement ring did not come with a matching wedding band so we went to a jeweler we met at a wedding show. My band is White Gold with alternating Amethyst and diamonds. Its gorgeous. My fiance did not want gold as its a weak metal. He went with a stronger metal. He is also a 17.25 ring band which is hard to find. He with with a black colour metal with blue lapis center. They turned out amazing. His band was less than 1100 and mine was about 1300 I believe. Also for insurance on your ring it would be good to get an appraisal. That cost us 90.00 extra but at least we have it as proof if anything happens or to get insurance on them they need this. I will post a picture of them after my day passes next weekend. Here's the sub company that our jewelry ordered my FH's ring from. You can design your own based on what they have.

https://www.lashbrookdesigns.com/

• Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My engagement ring and band came as a set as they are curved and it would be tough to find a band that would fit around it properly. My FH wants a silicone one so that he is able to wear it at work, and they are MUCH, MUCH cheaper.

• Julia
    Frequent user June 2019 Alberta
    Julia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It sounds silly, but we bought my FH wedding band on Amazon, it is a tungsten band and he wanted it to be brushed silver and it ended up only costing us about $100 on sale. These days Tungsten can be found in many jewelry stores and is a very strong metal that is also durable

• Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We purchased my partner's wedding band online because he is just getting a regular no-nonsense comfort band in yellow gold. I bought it from People's with a coupon, so I saved $55 on it (not bad!). I purchased my wedding band in store at Crescent, same location that my e-ring was purchased. They've been wonderful, so it was a no brainer to go back. They also had a perfect band to fit my slightly untraditionally shaped e-ring. Smiley smile Mines rose gold.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My wedding band was purchased from the same place as my engagement ring as it is a custom piece. My husband wanted a specific type of ring so I ordered that online for him and it came a few months before the wedding. I don't think there is any particular time you need to purchase your wedding band unless it is custom and going to take more time to make and deliver.

• Tracy
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We went to the same store he got my engagement ring they custom did my band to fit perfectly with my ring. I'm in love with them both so much, can't wait to wear them together!

Wedding bands 1
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got ours at the same store he got my ring from but we found ones we liked there.

I will warn you to be very careful if you want to mix metals and plan to wear both rings together. Mixing rose, yellow and white gold you should be fine. But mixing gold with platinum, silver, titanium, stainless, etc is not a good idea if your wearing them side by side everyday. The hard metal will cause the softer metal (or the gold) to start to wear away and so you’ll find it start to thin out quicker.
  • Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I got my wedding band from the same place that my FH got my engagement ring. My ring was custom made, so they were able to make a band to match perfectly. For my FH, he is using his dads wedding band (this pretty is sentimental, considering his dad passed away a few years ago), but he still wanted to make the ring his own. So we took his ring to the same place that made mine and they are making a few adjustments for the fraction of the cost of a new ring.

We ordered my ring 3 months before the wedding and it is already in with just over 2 months to go, and we should have my FH within the month.

• Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My engagement ring is silicone, and we wanted gold wedding rings, so of course we didn't buy them at the same place.

We simply went to a couple shopping malls and went to see what each jeweller had to offer. We mostly looked for my ring, as it was more complex (because of metal allergies, and clerks simply not understanding that I didn't want gems), and my fiancé wanted our rings to match.

In the end, I chose something that he thought was too feminine, so we went back to a jeweller we had previously visited that had more masculine designs to buy his.

• Mandy
    Devoted July 2019 Alberta
    Mandy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Mine will match my ring which will be in rose gold and fiancés will be a different looking band all together. We will be getting ours from Spence diamonds
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good to know. I've been creeping their website. and THANK YOU for mentioning the black Friday sale...thats something really good to keep in mind!!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our bands were at a special discount price and paid on a layaway basis. April to early August of 2017. We picked a simple 5mm white gold mens bands.
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got ours in ... February for our July wedding. We definitely didn't NEED to get them that far in advance, but I wanted to make sure we had them and I was really excited.

We got my wedding band from where he got my engagement ring as they are a set, but we shopped around a bunch for his ring as he doesn't normally wear jewellery and wasn't sure what he wanted. We ended up going to a different place where we got a good deal - two rings for the price of one! (for him)

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If we are ever near or in a jewelry store we will take a look but we haven't been actively looking yet. My engagement ring was his grandmothers so getting a band in the same place as that isn't possible. We will just look around and make note of ones that catch our eye and then compare from different places etc and eventually pick from that. We won't be getting "matching" ones so it doesn't matter if I get mine from one place and he gets it from a different.
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My coworker bought his now wife's E-ring from james allen. they have AWESOME rings. at awesome prices. Her ring is gorgeous. and I love that you can get the multi-view. and they have online consultants to "chat" to

it will be about 8 months before our wedding. but I am going to look when its black Friday sales and December sales.
    an article I was reading online said a lot of jewellers do a lot of sales then and that its best pricing.

• Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got ours about 8 months before the wedding. I got a rose Gold band, even though I have a yellow gold engagement ring, it's honestly not that noticable Smiley smile Enjoy the process though. It was really fun!
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My engagement ring has a matching band from Spence. So my fiance already knows the price, and it only takes 3 weeks (tops)... so we will probably order it 6-8 weeks ahead of time.

He, unfortunately..., has expensive taste, so I'll be saving up to be able to order his band in Oct/Nov for January... it takes about 6 weeks. He's already been sized and looked for styles he likes.

• M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We got ours from Costco about a month before the ceremony. Also ordered silicone rings. There's a brand like end bit less pricey
  • Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding is in September and we bought our wedding bands in April. I think it's okay to mix metals. My engagement ring is platinum and my wedding band will be white gold. It's solely based on what you want, there is no right or wrong. Smiley smile As for the selection we kinda had that too just keep looking through the summer months to see what new inventory the stores get.

• Angel
    Frequent user June 2019 British Columbia
    Angel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Like Tori, we are getting custom made wedding bands because the prices are better and I am getting a trusted jeweller to make them so I know the quality of the diamond/stones are guaranteed. It is very important to find a trusted jeweller or else you should make sure your diamonds are certified.

My FH got my engagement ring at Michael Hills but we decided not to go back for our wedding bands as it is too pricy.

Although it only takes two months to make them, I decided to start the process a little early (10 months) as I needed some time to find a design that we both like, is practical and is unique. We did a lot of research online, contacted a few jewellers to get quotes and also went to the mall to try on actual rings.

• Phaidra
    Frequent user October 2019 Alberta
    Phaidra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been pursuing Etsy for wedding bands, I really like the ones with weird rocks, antler, and metal! So pretty! But I think my FH wants to get ours made out of some arcade coins. *shrugs* IT'S STILL A CUTE IDEA I GUESS. :]

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Me and my FH will be getting our wedding bands custom made just like we did for my engagement ring. This took roughly 2 months from the start of our consultation date to the day we got it. For our own we will probably go at the 5 month mark just to be on the safer side and if anything we will have it with ample time before the wedding. It will be the same place we got my ring (as long as our jeweller is still around!). Plus custom rings cost whatever your budget is. As for the colours I have a stainless steel ring with a heart shaped diamond and for our wedding bands we will have stainless steel with our birthstones (peridot and aquamarine).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics