Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Marlee
Newbie May 2019 Ontario

We are torn between a D.j. or a live band for music at our wedding!!

Marlee, on June 17, 2018 at 20:26 Posted in Wedding reception 0 11

Patrick and I have been debating for months whether it would be better to have a D.J. or a live band at our wedding, and we are no closer to a decision! While we both love live music and think that a live band would mesh well with the intimate atmosphere we are hoping to create, we worry about it becoming "boring" after a set or two. A D.J. would be able to create a "party" atmosphere and certainly encourage lots of excitement, however we worry that our family and friends will not be interested in dancing a lot and would prefer a more laid-back setting. Any suggestions?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Cherry, on June 21, 2018 at 18:43
  • Cherry
    Devoted October 2019 Quebec
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say it depends on how many hours is your wedding. DJ could play all night long until morning. Live band only plays maximum 3-4 hours. What would you do after the live band left if your reception is longer? DJ could also create romantic setting or/and upbeat setting. If you are hiring a DJ make sure you discuss the songs you want him/her to play.

I am very lucky cause the wedding package I have has included DJ. However, I hire a solo live singer who is super amazing to perform for 2.5 hours for the cake cutting, first dance and social dancing after that. After those 2.5 hours, the DJ will kick in until morning cause at least half of my guests are very fond of dancing.

• Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have been to weddings where there has been a live band and they were still able to create a party atmosphere. They took breaks during their set and during that time a playlist was put on (best of both worlds?)

We opted for a DJ because there is such a wide range of music we want played at our wedding.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    DJ and live band are both great to have for reception and ceremony. The cost will be more than you can afford.

Dj just needs your song choices and timing and less expensive if you want to stick to your budget.

Live band charges by number of people and time frame. They will play selected songs and need breaks inbetween and higher cost.
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you can't decide and your budget will permit it, you could always have a live band or musician play during your ceremony, and have a DJ at your reception.

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have been to a wedding with both and they are both a lot of fun. It definitely comes down to what you prefer at the end of the day. Bands definitely have a great atmosphere but they are still limited on what they can play. We will be going with a DJ for 2 reasons, it will work better in the venue we have selected and there are a few songs I would like to play that I won't be able to get from a band. At the end of the day you definitely can not go wrong with either!

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If both are within your budget, ask yourself which one you'd utilize more. I feel like with a DJ there will be less lulls throughout the night because they will require less down-time, while a band will need various breaks and whatnot. I've been to wedding that have had both, and honestly, I didn't feel like either one was a make-or-break for the wedding.

• B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I keep hearing a DJ is Cheaper, But I really want to be doing something different for our wedding as well.
  • Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I got lucky that the dj I hired can also do live music. The dj is a pianist and mc is a singer. They will be live music for ceremony, cocktail hour & first dance. After that they will be dj. So if you can look for something like this it'll be great. I've also been to weddings where one had a dj and one had a live band. They were both great. The dj made sure it took recommendations from the guest and also interacted hyping the dance floor. As for the live band i don't recall them asking for recommendations but they were really good performers. They knew how to work the crowd. So i think you just gotta find someonethat knows how to entertain and make your day special.
  • Ashley
    Frequent user September 2018 Quebec
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Live band for ceremony and dj for reception is what we are doing

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm doing both! I'm lucky and my step dad is part of a band in his spare time and has also DJ'd quite a few weddings, so from 4pm-8pm we will have a live band and from 8-midnight we will have a DJ. It's such a tough decision to have to choose between the 2, but maybe there's an option of having a band for a few hours and then having a close friend or relative at you up with some music? U less you're actually looking for house music and remixes a playlist on a computer should be perfect Smiley smile
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding that had a live band and it was definitely lively! The band was really good, and could play pretty much any song requested. They did takes break throughout the night and then music was just played on the sound system.

I would suggest seeing if the band you are interested in is playing anywhere that you can go and watch them to see if they would fit your vision.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics