Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holly
VIP June 2019 Ontario

Visit from Aunt Flo on my Wedding Day..

Holly, on May 3, 2019 at 02:01 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 30
So...this is something I have been dreading and I know lots of you have been too. Menstrual cycle on our wedding day. Well it just so happens my next one is supposed to hit me ON my wedding day.. I am 6 months postpartum and my cycle started again at 6 weeks pp so my cycle has been nothing close to regular. One month it will be 28 days then next will be 30 then it'll be 33+ it's all over the place and its super stressful. At this moment I am due to start my next one literally on my wedding day. I am so nervous! Since starting my cycles again they have been absolutely horrible! Super painful and a lot worse than before I got pregnant. I'm terrified.

What are some wedding day period tips you have? How are you preparing for the possibility of this happening to you?

30 Comments

Latest activity by Melissa, on May 6, 2019 at 17:14
  • Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm also due to get mine on the wedding day. Normally i'm fine and have it so light and with no symptoms. However, I JUST got my IUD out so i'm hoping it doesn't mess with me toooo much.

Fingers crossed it all works out. Joys of being a woman! Smiley xd

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    At least you have her to go through it with if that happens! But yeah I'm prepared and it's not going to stop me from having a good time and enjoying the day! I may be in pain but I'll have a few drinks and get over it! Lol
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am using my birth control to delay my period so that I will have it this week and then 2 weeks after the wedding again.

My aunt was due to have hers on the wedding day so she started taking Midol about a week before the wedding and she said that on the day of she wasn't bloated or crampy at all when normally she is sick in bed from period cramps. She took an anti-inflammatory medication the day of as well just to top it off but that's it.

Hopefully it is late by a day or two or you can find a way around it, good luck!

• Katrin
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Katrin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This is my worst fear! My partner and I are both female so it may be x2 the amount of painkillers but you know what? I'm not going to let it stop me.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's too bad! Hopefully like you said, it comes later than you expected so your wedding is period free! I find drinking peppermint tea helps with cramps, but it makes me pee way too much!
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I started taking birth control for the intentions of skipping my period, you could also talk to you dr as they may be able give you other options.

• Jenn
    Frequent user April 2019 Saskatchewan
    Jenn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This definitely happened to me! I'm not particularly regular to begin with, but I really think that it was my heightened/emotional state that brought it on early. It really wasn't a big deal though, my MOH carried the goods for me, and really, the wedding was such an amazing experience that I either didn't notice the usual headaches and cramps, or I unconsciously willed them away. It really wasn't the worst case scenario that I would have imagined!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I never thought I'd say I miss my periods before..but my periods before my son were a walk in the park compared to now lol our bodies can do wonderful things and also sucky things..balances out i suppose. Ill look into the teas! Thanks

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our bodies are funny things and stress for sure can mess with our cycles. I remember my cycles being all over the place and lasting longer after i had my girls. Just be prepared like it sounds you are. You could also try looking at any teas that you could have in the morning that are geared towards menstruation and cramps.
  • Gabrielle
    Frequent user May 2019 Ontario
    Gabrielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My pill was supposed to make me skip mine for my wedding. We even picked the date accordingly... and well my birth control failed me big time and i will also be getting my period on my wedding day. Bummer Smiley sad
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Birth control Smiley smile! Im on the pill and if my period lands on my wedding day I plan to skip my sugar pills and start a new pack right away to avoid my period all together

• Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have an IUD, so I sympathize. My period is 3x lighter but now lasts 3x longer. Plus, it's all over the place. Sometimes, I just bleed for one day and then it's gone again. I'm really not sure how to prepare for it except pray to the gods of fertility and keep a bottle of advil on hand Smiley tongue
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh man!!! That's honestly amazing haha! I have dealt with weird periods almost my whole life.

But I know what you mean, already dealing enough the day of don't want that uninvited guest as well!

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have never, in my life, had a period come early lol I almost wish my next would come early. I think my biggest fear is starting my period during the ceremony or something... I'd much rather start the day already on my period.
    No pill for me, it doesn't treat me well...
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Unfortunately I can't go on the pill because it has horrible effects on me 😔
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I wish this was an option for me, unfortunately the pill and I don't go so well together.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No pill for me. My body doesn't react well to it so unfortunately that's not an option.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Unfortunately I couldn't plan the date around my period...we were trying for a baby so there was absolutely no way in planning around it. My hopes is that it's late..the past few months it has not been "early" it's been 32-33. The prediction is for it starting on day 31...so it could go either way.. fingers crossed!!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm so nervous so I'm really really hoping that having an unpredictable period actually pays off this time lolGood luck to you too!!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes I'm definitely going to have pain meds on hand at all times. Good idea about the heat pad, I'm sure I'll need it!!! Last night I actually ordered some period panties from Knix, basically the same as the one you suggested but it's a Canadian company not sure it the one you suggested is.
    I'll definitely be prepared but hopeful that it's a day or so late!!
    Thank you
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Any chance you can go on the pill? I knew someone who use to do that just went on the pill a few months before and it helped them! Luckily mine cycle is due to end a day or 2 before the wedding!

Also don't want to stress you more but I have a friend who's period came A WEEK early and of course hit her wedding date... stress can make it come sooner, I've had mine come early too due to stress... and what's more stressful than a wedding! Haha! Yeah I worked mine out to happen the week before which might bite me but I'm hoping she leaves before the wedding!

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I did this too since I'm on the pill too! My period is 1 week beforehand so I don't have to worry about my wedding and honeymoon!

I found going on the pill helped with a lot of my period symptoms as well as making my period more regular, you could talk to your doctor about using it short-term for this reason.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Even if I am a day late I'm going to be worried the whole day if I'm going to start it during the day sometime and I'm worried about the pain that's going to come along with it. It will definitely ruin a good chunk of the day unfortunately
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm due to get mine on my wedding day to Smiley sad

I'm not on hormonal birth control for medical reasons, but I use an app to track my cycles, so when we picked a date I chose one that should have been perfect. But I've been unwell over the last few months, struggling with iron deficiency, which has completely thrown everything off.

I'm terrified I'll have cramps and nausea and everything else. Crossing my fingers it's a day late, and I can worry about it after the wedding.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This was my biggest fear when picking a wedding date. I am on the pill, so it was a little easier for me to plan ahead for when my period is supposed to be. I printed out a calendar and highlighted the time that I was on my period and stayed away from those dates.

We also talked about me stopping the pill before our wedding day, but I was afraid of how my body would react to coming off the pill and periods being unpredictable.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am on the pill- mine was due my wedding day so i recently double backed my pills to make sure it would come few weeks prior. I also had to change my allergy shots routine because of the side effects and was due week of wedding. I would suggest to do some pills back to back to change this

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just thought - if you are on the pill can't you kinda manipulate it to plan for your period? maybe go ask a doctor....

I haven't been on the pill in years but I vaguely remember that being a thing.. obviously you shouldn't make a habit of it.. but you can change when you start them to work around a vacation or an event.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This was a main concern and a big reason as to why I chose the date I did!! I have it planned out to avoid Aunt Flo but for me it's really easy as I'm on birth control - would that be a possibility for you in order to try and avoid her visit?

If not, you've still got hope that this time is either a day 26 by chance to get it done before or that it takes the 33 or longer right?

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

THIS IS MY FEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine is a little unpredictable so even if to do the count... It's not for sure.. I will be cutting it real close.. good luck! fingers crossed for all of us !

• Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Holly!

So sorry that you're predicted to get your period on that day. There's still a ray of hope that you may not get it so don't fret yet. BUT, just in case you do, you could always:

1. pop a tylenol in the morning to ease the potential cramps. 2. Prep a "disposable sticky heat pack" on your belly. I used to get them at CVS in the USA, I think shoppers carries something similar in Canada. It's a peel and stick heating system that activates when it touches skin. It's supposed to keep warm for 8-10 hours.3. prep a baggy with candies (i find sugar helps), tampons, and if you've never tried before, period underwear and panty liners. I use these Period Undies and recommend them in the beige color since you'll be wearing a white dress.

Hope those suggestions are up your alley! And prayers for you that your period gets delayed!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics