Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tori
Top October 2019 Manitoba

Videography - have it, worth it, money well spent?

Tori, on April 9, 2019 at 14:43 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 34

What is everybody's take on this?

For my wedding we have hired a videographer as it was one of the top things that I wanted for my wedding and we have a few people that are not able to make the trip as they are getting too "up there" in age. But I'm starting to wonder if I want more than what I've agreed to or if what I'm getting is good as is.

I waited as long as I could before booking as I didn't want to pay the big bucks and it payed off IMO because it will cost under $1,000 to have the ceremony taped and to be honest that in itself is so much money!!

Is videography something that you will be or did have at your wedding? What about for your engagement shoot (I love watching those video's but didn't do one myself)? Ceremony only or reception as well?

Worth it or not?

Oh - and if you are getting it, does your videographer have one of those drones for a shot from high up in the sky??? I wish mine did but, eh - it is what it is!

Videography - have it, worth it, money well spent? 1

34 Comments

Latest activity by Amelia, on April 11, 2019 at 19:51
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It will depend on what timeline we end up with but I'm hoping they'll be able to catch at least the tail end of getting ready! I'm considering writing and exchanging letters that we read aloud but we'll see what FH thinks.

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It really is, I mean - before taxes it is $500, but we are also outside the city so travel is $125, and then with tax we are at just over $700 which is still great but it's his own business so we will be tipping on top of that (as long as everything goes according to plan).

Closer to the wedding I may inquire about getting him to film more than the ceremony if he can stay below $1,000

• Madge
    Curious July 2019 Ontario
    Madge ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Just under $1000 for just the ceremony?! What they are charging is insane.

At first we just wanted great photography and paid a lot for that which after the engagement photos is totally worth it but then I thought about it and was sad I wouldn't see everyone walk down the aisle at the ceremony since I'm the last one lol so we ended up getting one. I did decide however to not get anything super fancy for videography. Just wanted something I can look back on.

I hunted for a long time but found a company that fit our budget. Our package is 10 hours, drone, 15 min highlight and 40 min video.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We tested the drone out a few weeks ago and the images are the bomb!!
    Since we’re distance planning, it’s nice to have as little vendors as possible to deal with!
  • Allen
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Allen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think I'll probably set something up for it. Videographer are so darn expensive lol and 10 days away
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh thats good idea! Honestly this point it wouldn't be in the budget but if we do well at the social then its possible. Need to figure out what is left owing. I have a rough figure with the budget sheet on here but some waiting on final numbers, ex: hair pieces, shoes, transportation.

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not too late? I know I'm telling a lot of the WW community this but it's true - if by closer to the wedding a vendor isn't booked they are willing to drop the price so that they still have a job and get paid.

If by August they are booked or not budging on prices will you be trying to tape it yourself? My backup plan was to have one of my parents set up a tripod in the first row and hope that there isn't any wind! lol

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That seems like an awesome price for all of that!! Will you be having them videotape the getting ready, ceremony, and reception? Or just ceremony and reception?

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Will you be setting up a camera to try and capture it?

(Highly recommend taking a second look in case there are some videographers out there that don't have your wedding date booked still and are willing to drop the price.)

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The best thing is that the whole family asks to watch it - she had a MASSIVE wedding, 350+ guests, and for them it's fun getting to relive the night as well, and point out their friends, and also to remember loved ones who have passed on, including their grandfather. I'm sentimental too, I still have the VHS tapes with my grandparents' home movies, so I know that I will for sure watch our wedding videos!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's crazy how expensive it can get! Like, you're just holding a steady hand or putting it on a tripod... why does it cost so much??? Most of the editing is taught in middle school and high school nowadays anyway so I mean... why???

I still think it would be worth it to look into hiring somebody closer to the day though - you would be surprised how many vendors are willing to lower the price when bargaining as well as after you explain not only do you have the ability to walk away completely and they get nothing, as well as some understand not everybody has thousands to spend on it.

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is so refreshing to hear! Everybody is saying that we will never watch it - even the FH... but I think with me being so sentimental that I will be watching it all the time 😂

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Omg yes!!! For sure take advantage of that! Even if the pictures don't turn out from the drone at least you tried!

As for another vendor to manage - I completely understand, we were trying so hard to find somebody who did both photography and videography but had no luck with ones that were reasonably priced. Everybody wanted the package starting at $5,000.... I am getting both separate for less than $2,000!

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh I like the idea of the Go Pro!

I also like the idea of the reception scavenger hunt. I think leaving it in the hands of guests for some videos would be super awesome, and you can get some really different perspectives.

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would have loved it but it was out of our budget. It is something I wish I would have booked though.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Videography wasn't a priority at all at first, but after seeing so many videos and comments about couples being either thrilled with theirs or regretting not getting one, I think we've decided to go for it. We talked to a videographer a few weeks ago and are mulling it over. It's $2000 for 8hrs, 2 videographers, a 10 minute highlight reel, and edited ceremony and speeches. A drone could be included for an extra $100 but isn't necessary for us, although it would be super cool. $2000 is the cheapest I could find in our area by at least $1000 without sacrificing quality.

• Allen
    Devoted April 2019 Ontario
    Allen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Unfortunately the money doesnt allow it.
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I really really want one... but we cant afford it so his dad will be taking video and putting it together for us so I hope it turns out

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Videography was one of my top priorities. We are getting a full day - getting ready, ceremony, and reception - which includes a 3 min trailer, a 25 min edit, and raw unedited footage. This is one of the few things I wanted to splurge on. My FH's sister got married 2 years ago and watches her wedding videos all the time, it's a great memento, and the more footage you have the better (for me, anyway)

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We aren't having a videographer, it wasn't high on our priority list, and it would've been an extra vendor to manage! However, we have a drone at work and my coworker who's in charge of it said he might bring it if we wanted it for the wedding!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow - I never even thought of that!! I only have one videographer so now I am for sure going to ask how he plans on capturing everything and if it would be okay to have a go-pro hidden on our arch!!

• Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's where I am at too.

I have a scavenger hunt type deal for guests to capture some reception moments on video.

And then I am thinking of maybe setting up a tripod or a go pro at the ceremony.

I have seen a couple cool shots where couples mount a go pro to the arch.. and if it doesn't work out then oh well!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ya, even I'm trying to think of when else would I watch it other than with the family who can't make the trip, and our future kids when I force them to watch it with me... Smiley tongue

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is exactly what I was planning on doing if it wasn't for us finding somebody in our budget!! Nothing wrong with it and if it doesn't turn out great - hey, it's better than no trying at all right right?

I would say to have it next to a pew or chair mid range in the aisle and have an Aunt or Uncle be in charge of moving it to the middle of the aisle once you have walked down? The only thing I really want on film is us saying "I do" and probably me happy crying like a suck Smiley tongue

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I honestly didn't want to spend the money to have one. I know too many people who paid for one and have only watched their wedding video when they got it, and that was it. For us we didn't really need to have it.

My cousin had a drone picture, and it is the coolest thing ever lol!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ya, honestly had my friend not already done a wedding or 2 before mine I would have ditched that option too - don't wanna mess with something like that!

Right??? Everything costs so much!! I have never wanted to elope - until roughly 3 months ago! lol I know my FH was okay with it at first but by the time I came around to the idea he was fully on board with a big 250 person wedding 😂

• Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha yikes!

Yeah I hope it turns out.

I am contemplating setting up just our camcorder and a tripod to capture the ceremony maybe.

I just don't know where to put it so that it is not in the way.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We spent a lot for our photography ....but my mom had a horrible experience hiring a friend for her photos (they did it as a hobby but really had 0 experience taking photos or using photoshop) so we just went with the photographer our venue recommended so we have nice photos.

if the videography is a little messed up ...it’s ok for us cause we have the raw footage.

getting married ...so expensive 😂😂😂
  • Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is so awesome that you had that connection! We are actually saving $$ on our Photographer as she is a friend from work that does photography on the side Smiley smile

It's crazy with the prices though and trying to figure out what is worth it and what is going too far or getting ripped off. I'm pretty sure every videographer leading up to the one I booked had wanted $4,000 - $12,000.... and my lord, aint nobody got money for that!

I look forward to seeing pics after you get yours done - especially with the drone!!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hmmmm dang now I really want to add more like the speeches and whatever!! I'll put it off until closer to the day and depending on budget I will ask my videographer what we would be able to do for me Smiley smile

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re having a videographer; I didn’t care for one, my FH wanted one. So we compromised and are having my sisters good friends (who are in the industry) capture our ceremony and reception, at a student discount.

we’re getting all the raw footage from both ceremony and reception, a 30 min video and a sneak peak video!

They are going to have a drone which will be pretty cool.

Personally, for the price I think we are getting a really great deal. All packages I saw before hiring my sisters friends, were $3,000-$8,000 - which was a huge no for me. So I’m happy with the compromise.
  • Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My parent's wedding video is the same - I think I've watched it maybe 2 times? It shows everything from them getting ready and whatnot but unfortunately they had a family friend record it as video camera's weren't very common... his hands were shaking, he kept focusing it on some of the single ladies rather than my parents, etc.

I love the idea of having a list for the guests to try and capture!! Kind of like a scavenger hunt!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics