Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vanessa
Frequent user September 2019 Ontario

Venue Gratuity

Vanessa, on September 13, 2018 at 08:26 Posted in Wedding reception 0 9

How much did you tip your hall if gratuity was NOT included? Mine is not included and "left up to us".

9 Comments

Latest activity by Vanessa, on October 2, 2019 at 18:21
  • Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If I had an extra fee I would not tip on top of that.
  • A
    Newbie October 2019 Ontario
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey I'm having the same scenario. We have a 10% service admin fee on food and beverage but apparently that's not considered gratuity. If I were to leave a tip would it only be based on the food and beverage amount? Thanks
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Venues charge you to rent out their space. Tips don't need to be included sonce they have the waitstaff working for them.

The amount your paying is more than whats being asked.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Venues where gratuity is automatically added is usually 15%, maybe up to 18%. I would budget for 20% and adjust from there... In the real world I see tipping like this:

10% - You did the bare minimum

15% - You did well

20% - You did something extra/made it memorable.

All the staff at the venue probably make minimum wage, or thereabouts... The gratuity is their "bonus" for doing a good job. So if you budget for "amazing", you can round down a bit if you find reason to.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My reception hall leaves the tips up to us as well. they recommend 10% for tips. I think that's a really good base to go off. and then if there are a few people that do outstanding, slip them some cash that night.

I think I budgeted for 15% of the estimated bill for tips.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well dang.... in that case I would tip according to this website: www.bridalguide.com

So basically a 15-20% tip for everything (20% if they were outstanding!)

• Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Depends on what is included and did they go out of their way? What type of hall is it? If it’s a community style hall that is run by volunteers or a church group I would probably offer a bit more since the money goes back to good causes.
    Just a general hall I might not tip them if we only paid for the room and that’s all we got.
  • Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My venue is a hall so they cater, provide all tables, linens, cutlery, open bar, and I also get a day-of planner included.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I can't seem to find anywhere that says you are to tip the venue.... It would make me think that since halls for the most part jack up the price for weddings as is - is that there is no tip needed seeing as how they don't do anything other than give you a room to rent which you've already paid for.

If they have people that are maybe cleaning up for you or something then perhaps tip $20-$50 each? But even that is not expected (as far as I'm aware).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics