Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Devoted November 2018 Ontario

Vegetarian/vegan Wedding Menu???

Emily, on January 26, 2018 at 15:40 Posted in Wedding reception 0 19
Have you chosen to have a fully vegan/vegetarian menu at your wedding? How have people reacted? I am having a mostly vegan menu, as I am a vegan and could not morally have meat at my wedding, and some of my in-laws-to-be have suggested that we will get smaller gifts because of it. What are people's thoughts? p.s. I'm still having an open bar, so people should be happy with that right? Thanks for your help!

19 Comments

Latest activity by Jace, on July 10, 2022 at 05:56
  • Catherine
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Catherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m vegetarian so all hors d’oeuvres and one of the options for mains will be vegetarian. My fiancé is not, so guests can also choose a meat option for their main. Do what feels good to you, and if that means a fully vegan meal go for it!
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's totally ridiculous and easily debunked by etiquette, but I've heard this SO many times since getting engaged. My FH and other people have mentioned that they have based their wedding gifts on the cost of the plate provided

Ex: 5-course plated meal = $$$, Buffet = $$, Cocktail reception =$

So even though it doesn't make any sense, people do believe this to be good etiquette.

• M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am vegan as well, however we decided to do a half and half menu, so that all would be satisfied. I think it’s fair if everyone gets to eat something they like, although in our home we do not have any animal products (although my partner does eat them).

That been said said I think it is ridiculous if someone chooses their gift based on the menu, in the same way we(vegetarians, vegans etc) do not base our gift to the lack of vegan/vegetarian food in the vast majority of weddings
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it is absolutely ridiculous to assume that people will diminish their gift due to the menu! I think you need to do what is right for you and people will accept it as it is your wedding. Stay strong and don't worry!

• Meghan
    Frequent user August 2018 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it’s a little ridiculous that anyone would base their gift or even if they’re attending or not based on what you are serving for dinner. If I’m going to a wedding I’m going because I want to celebrate the couple not for the free meal! I’m sure even the pickiest eaters could find something on their plate that they could eat. It’s your day I’d say serve whatever you want.

I do like what Courtney suggested, don’t even tell them it’s vegan. My fiancé claims to hate vegetarian and vegan food but due to dietary restrictions that’s what his mother mostly eats. She’s cooked for us before and just didn’t tell him and he loved it. It definitely can be a mental block for some people.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    See I’m a super picky eater. Like I go places and worry I won’t find enough I’ll eat, but I would never go with less of a gift for someone based on the food they’re picking! That’s ridiculous.
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have a vegan option for people who don't want the meat meals and they have all appreciated the option. I would hope that everyone that attends our reception understands that we are spending a good deal of money on them by providing then with food, especially if it is an open bar as well. Just proves that people will always find some way to cause drama, make the menu what you want and if they don't like it they don't have to eat it, but they will be very hungry
  • Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That seems a bit ridiculous... honestly I feel like a lot of people have negative opinions about vegan but really if they tried the food they would be surprised! Ultimately it’s your wedding, you shouldn’t have to compromise your morals for other people.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have never known the menu before attending a wedding; I go to a wedding because I like the people getting married. I am gluten and dairy intolerant, so most of our food will be gluten/dairy free.

I think it's completely normal to cater the food to what you eat. Some people won't like it, true, but you can't cater to everyone's likes/dislikes. If they really need meat, they can head off to McDonald's after the wedding, since so many of them are open 24 hours now!

• Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That sounds so petty - you’ll get a smaller gift if there’s no meat on my plate! I’m sorry you are having troubles with this! I say do what you want - it’s your wedding! Vegan/vegetarian is delicious, and if done right you’ll never miss the meat!
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's really disappointing that people are indicating they'll limit gifting based on your food choices. It's amazing what input people give based on our choices for weddings, isn't it!

I think doing a vegetarian or vegan meal could be really cool and I know how many options are out there that half the time you won't realize you're eating vegan!
    I almost just.. wouldn't tell people that its vegetarian or vegan because people have this misconceptions or mental barriers when hearing that sometimes.

The way I look at it, our venue doesn't take orders in advance. Basically we have a small menu of 4 items that guests pick from on the day of the wedding like a regular restaurant. I'm not telling them in advance what's on the menu. I know it's good food, and they'll be happy. So you could sort of do the same. Just give them food!

• Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Of course, all food is preference, meat, veggies, fruits etc.. and I do agree that it would not be cool if someone choose not to attend a wedding due to the meal choices because it's about celebrating a union of two people in love. My fiance actually gags when eating certain vegetables which I find hilarious but it's who he is lol but pasta and potatos, you can't go wrong! I don't know any vegan meals, but I'd totally be down to try them out. So hopefully no one has an issue about your menu 😊
  • Jocelyn
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Im offering a regular menu with a vegetarian option for the main course.
  • Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for your input! That's good to know!

• Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's reassuring to hear! Thank you.

• Emily
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I mean most people are ABLE to eat the vegan/vegetarian options, it's just a preference. But that's a good point about the booze lol. We are having Pasta and potatoes, but that's really surprising that you don't think people would come based on that alone. Veganism isn't just vegetables and it's actually pretty cool. Hopefully people can learn to be open to new things, and care about our union more than what they're eating. Thanks for your feedback!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Vegan\Vegetarian meals are your choices for the guests. They may decline if they don't like whats being offered. Gifts are not affected by the meals, the guests will give still based on their budget.
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You might get some people that do decide to give a smaller gift, maybe some decide not to go but ultimately it's up to you. I personally wouldn't be too bothered by a vegetarian meal, my fiance would be okay if it was like pasta, potatoes or something basic like that. However if it was a vegan menu we would likey decline unfortunately. My fiancé has and never will like vegetables or vegan options. He's tried and can't do it. So for people like that it may be a deal breaker. To be completely honest the open bar doesn't make up for that just because if someone decides to go but not eat they will not have a good time, no matter how much they drink lol. But like I said it's up to you, and if you morally cannot then that's fine. Just be aware of those that cannot eat vegan/vegetarian options.
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would never consider giving a gift based on what I was "getting" from the couple. Gifting should be based on what the gifter can afford, not as a trade for the reception. I really hope that won't happen. Personally I would be perfectly happy with a vegetarian/vegan menu!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics