Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lussierk00@outlook.com
Curious January 2020 Manitoba

Unpopular opinions: wedding edition

Lussierk00@outlook.com, on June 29, 2019 at 10:00 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 23
Do you have any opinions on some wedding traditions that everyone loves but you really just dont care about? Or something that a lot of people don't prioritize at their wedding but you do?

Mine would be cake is totally overrated and we are not doing it lol.
Also I think premarital counseling is super important and I would highly recommend it to anyone! We are already on about session #7 I think and still have much more to learn and I think it's super informative and helpful!

Any unpopular opinions you have?

23 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on July 3, 2019 at 03:21
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We skipped the cake, tosses, receiving line. I did end up doing old, new, borrowed, blue but it wasn’t planned, jusy happened.
  • Jenny
    Curious October 2021 Ontario
    Jenny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    These aren’t really unpopular, but we’re not doing a receiving line, garter toss, wedding favours and are just buying a cheap cake for cutting photos since our caterer is providing dessert. I’m also not doing the “something old/new/borrowed/blue” tradition.
  • Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel that we are doing away with a lot of traditions, no bouquet toss, no garter toss, unsure of the cake thing, no traditional dinner- cocktail style reception instead.

• Marissa
    Expert August 2019 Ontario
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are doing the exact same thing. My sister is my MOH and his sister is my bridesmaid. His brother and best friend of 20+ years are his co-best men. 🙂
  • Kathy
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m skipping a lot of traditions lol
  • Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are literally doing no traditions I feel. No wedding party, no walking me down the isle, no bouquet/garter toss, no cake, no speeches. 😂
    It’s about the couple and their vows to each other. It’s not about how big the party is, how much money you spent on everything. Personally, whatever you think is right IS right! Everyone is different and has different values and opinions.
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This 100%.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This!! I just have my sister as MOH and my fiancé’s brother as BM.

ive seen other weddings where the bride and groom aren’t even friends with their bridal party after the wedding.

at least my sister and brother in law are stuck with me 🤣🤣
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't understand why wedding parties are a thing.

They seem to be the source of so much drama and frustrations, why have them? I mean, not having one doesn't mean you don't have people to help you. Actually, I find that the people who offer to help are more genuine and don't feel forced to help.

• A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

WE are not doing the cake cutting pictures, any toss', receiving line or toasts. I will stand up and thank people for coming. Our thank you favours are the cupcakes that we are getting with our single tier cake, I find the favours are left behind more often than not or the just not practical. Our late night snack will be simple, cheese, crackers, deli meat and buns only because I know his side of the family drinks and gets the munchies while drinking.

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're not doing cake, garter or bouquet toss, or receiving line. My son is walking me down the aisle because he asked if he could - otherwise I would have walked alone, but hard to say no to that request! Smiley smile

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love the bouquet toss when at weddings but I am not personally doing it or the garter toss- I find that part just weird in general

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We skipped a lot of traditions,

We had no cake, no garter/bouquet toss, no receiving line, it was not religious in anyway and we had wooden flowers.

I did however really want the something old, new, borrowed and blue and we had a unique wedding party. I had 2 girls and a guy on my side and he had 2 girls.

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The cake! We are not doing the cake because neither of us like it and its been a bit of a sore spot with ALOT of guests??? Like why? You still get dessert I promise!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mine: getting married is about us the couple and has nothing to do with God... not many like to hear that opinion...

Oh and I guess IMO I don't think couples counselling is a must (most churches require it) because you should know and have the same values as your S/O by that point.

It's crazy though, I'm doing all of the "traditions" that I'm sure others think are useless or out dates 😂 There's no winning!

• Tiffany
    Frequent user August 2023 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m not big on speeches but that is just us a couple. Also cake. We’re doing cupcakes (made by my sister) much easier to manage and easier to make people take the leftovers.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Flowers. I had zero flowers at my wedding. No bouquets, nothing. A few days before one of my bridesmaids actually asked me if they were carrying anything - I said no, no bouquets. She started trying to come up with ideas - I said "no. No one is carrying anything, I am not carrying anything. There are no flowers anywhere."

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have a few that are mostly rooted in tradition, and they are:

Recieving lines. I haven't seen them at most weddings I've been to, and I think it's a good thing. I'd feel awkward having our guests line up to greet us so we're going to mingle during our cocktail hour with (hopefully) all of our guests.

Wedding party must be balanced/girls on brides side, guys on grooms side: I think the people who mean the most to the couple should be asked to be a part of the wedding party, regardless of who they are closer too. Our wedding party is 4-3 and my FH has a best woman.

Floral bouquets: I think if you don't want to carry a bouquet you shouldn't have to. Also if you don't want real flowers, there are lots of other options available.

• Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For me I love the cake, it's something that represents the two of us being one family and then being able to literally share our happiness (the cake) with our guests. Also I really love cake so I wanted to keep this in our wedding lol but we are keeping it simple and DIYing a more elaborate backdrop for it.

I also love the idea of the traditional father-daughter and mother-groom dances - but since my dad isn't in the picture and his parents won't be there, we're trying to figure out how we want to keep the tradition but alter it to fit with our family setting.

I'm honestly not a fan of the big serious performances by the bridal party unless dancing/singing/etc is part of how they all met.

And I really love the tradition of not having first looks. I'm sure it's a lot of fun and a beautiful private moment for the couple, but for me there's just something so special about seeing his reaction as I come down the aisle.

I have lots of traditions I love and a number of modernizations I'm enjoying coming up with/adopting, but at the end of the day your wedding will be as beautiful as your happy smiles on your special day ❤
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Every couple has something they won't like part of the wedding and will work around it.

We didn't go the route of pre wedding counselling since it wasn't part of the church service. Civil marriage was our choice and options to choose from what was provided on readings, vows and closing pronouncement.

The unnecessary part of our wedding was the reading if my husbands parents were alive. The reason why we kept it was to dedicate to them since they are in heaven. There was one step that wasn't done due to the Officiants license being part of my culture and that was ok.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn't prioritize having a cake but we had one because a family member is a baker and gifted it to us.
    My opinion on premarital counseling is the complete opposite of yours, it's right for some and not for some others. For us it definitely was not, we never even considered it because it wouldn't have benefited us at all. For us it would have been a complete waste of time.
    We had a few family members on my husbands side of the family that basically insisted that we have a recieving line and we were totally against that. To me it's one of the worst wedding traditions, and now it's totally outdated.
    I think the one major tradition we tried to keep was him not seeing me before the wedding, but with our own twist. We have a son and spent the night and morning of together so as long as he didn't see me all dressed up and ready. Which he didn't and his reaction to me walking down the aisle was truly amazing!
    A lot of people hate the bouquet/garter toss, mainly the garter toss but they don't realize that you don't have to go under the dress!! He can just simply have it on the side and throw it at the time, that's what we did.
    I also really wanted my dad to walk me down the aisle, not to "give me away" but that moment with him was so special because he has and always will be a huge part of my life!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I hate receiving lines. I think they’re awkward and I’d rather walk around and talk to my guests more organically.

The bouquet toss is outdated. I hate the idea of gathering all the single women onto the dance floor for this tradition.

I think the garter toss is awful. I don’t need my
    new husband to be fishing around under my dress for a garter belt to then show to everyone.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There have been so many comments! I think just people giving their opinion on what they like is way off from what I want.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics