Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Erin
Frequent user June 2024 Ontario

Unplugged or plugged in?

Erin, on December 11, 2019 at 13:27 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 12
Just got talking a minute ago and my FH wants your input. We can't decide which is better. Unplugged ceremony or plugged in ceremony? We want our photographer to be able to take his pictures without trouble but at the same time we don't want to tell our family that they can't take pics on their devices as well. What do you suggest?

12 Comments

Latest activity by Shannon, on December 12, 2019 at 12:13
  • S
    Expert September 2020 Quebec
    Shannon ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are asking guest and making a sign no cameras during the ceramony. After that ppl can snap away. I actually am encouraging everyone to use a hashtag and an app you can download reccomended by ww. I believe its wed shoots. I will be looking forward to see the wedding through the eys of the guest.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Unplugged ceremony for sure to keep your guests focused on your wedding ceremony as your photographer does his work without any distractions. Suggestions to keep your guests alerted is by putting a sign to say Unplugged ceremony as your attention is appreciated and phones put away. Also, the Officiant can make an announcement to have them do so too.

Plugged reception as guests can take pictures from their phones from their seats and your photographer has all the space he needs to get the pictures he needs for you both.

• L
    Frequent user February 2020 Ontario
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing unplugged ceremony and plugged reception. We’re paying a lot for our photographer (she’s worth it) and I know my family and they’ll 100% be those people sticking arms in the aisle or iPads blocking her view. We will have a sign and also ask our officiant to mention it prior to the ceremony starting. If people want photos afterwards I’m totally fine taking photos with them. Or sharing our professional copies with them afterward. In the end it’s your day. Not theirs so do what you want! I know my mom isn’t pleased but that’s just a “stuck in her old ways” thing.
  • Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh no those iPads are massive!!! Yeah I think unplugged is probably going to be the route we take.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think going unplugged is more common. I've seen lots of examples of "welcome to our unplugged wedding" signs with a few nicely put ground rules.

I would hate to have the important photos ruined by a relative leaning their phone out for a good shot. And I once saw a woman whip out a full size iPad at a wedding to take photos. I can only imagine how many photos the iPad is in...
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's up to you - but we went with an unplugged ceremony. We still got at least one person video tape it for his neice who wasn't there - but we did the best we could! Don't have our pictures back yet but we will for sure shame people online that we are close to if they are in the pictures with their phones or cameras out Smiley tongue

All we did though was have the officiant mention that it was unplugged (instead of having a sign).

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I mean its up to you guys! but i dont mind people taking photos or videos just as long as they are not inferring with my photographer! im just gonna ask people not to get in the way of our photographer. plus i know if my friends and family have pics i can see them faster HAHAH

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had a sign requesting that the ceremony be unplugged, but it poured for our outdoor ceremony so it wasn't put out. My brother live streamed the ceremony on Facebook without me knowing and I'm still unhappy about it...

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's kinda the route we were planning on but we don't want to be rude to the family at the same time so we got thinking of a different idea. We are now thinking of doing the first part of the ceremony unplugged then after the "I Do's" are done of getting our officiant to tell everyone they are now welcome to take their phones out and doing a "second kiss" segment so the family can get in their shots and get pics of the recessional.
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're going unplugged. I absolutely hate it when people whip out their phones at weddings. We're going to have it on our website, our officiant will announce at the beginning of the ceremony to put phones away, and have a sign right at the ceremony that says, "We invite you to be fully present during our ceremony. Kindly turn off all cell phones and cameras and enjoy this moment with us." Between those three reminders, we're really hoping our guests will resist the urge until after the ceremony - then they can go to town.

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for your input hun we really appreciate it!!!!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're not doing unplugged. First of all, even if you do unplugged - there's always that one person (or two, or five or ten) who never listens. You'll still have people clicking away on their phone anyway.

Second, my sister in law actually had some of her fav photos taken by guests in the church. So sometimes you even get great photos from guests.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics