Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jocelyn
Expert August 2018 Ontario

Unplugged ceremony...

Jocelyn, on March 23, 2018 at 20:52 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 28
I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but I want to know: how did your guests react when you mentioned the term "Unplugged Ceremony"? My mom just looked at me like I'm crazy...I simply said that I believe it's distracting and she's not changing my mind....

28 Comments

Latest activity by Brittany, on March 28, 2018 at 15:21
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I 100% agree... I never even thought ahead to what my professional photos would look like, to see phones in the crowd, I was even more thinking I don't want people having personal photos on their phone of that moment. I will be very in the moment, emotional, etc, and I don't want to be tagged on Instagram before I even sign my marriage license...

For people who think it's "weird", "can't be done", etc... You can remind parents that when they got married, people didn't even have cell phones to take photos, and that its not even 30 minutes of their day. They can also request to get some photos from you down the road, when you have your professional, edited copies.

I think having a sign, as well as your officiant directly telling people to put away their technology, will suffice. Anyone who doesn't listen will be noticed as being rude and kind of offensive.

• Breanne
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are definitely having an unplugged ceremony. There is nothing I am more adamant about because I don't want to walk down the aisle and not see people's faces because they are hidden behind a cell phone or get back our professional photos and not see faces in the crowd. I definitely think it's a moment and a feeling that I want people to share in and hold in their mind.

We hired two photographers so that there will be lots of pictures. We plan on having an unplugged ceremony sign and our officiant will mention it as well. Once the ceremony is over, people can take as many photos as they want!

• Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sure it can, but I don't feel like fighting for this point, especially since my fiancé isn't on board.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Agreed! If we have guests that insist on being on their phones for whatever reason our ushers will quietly and politely ask them to take it outside or put it away lol 20 minutes for our ceremony, like you said..they will survive! We have professional photographers for ALL photography needs, guest can wait, just like us, for the photos to be posted and sent out.
  • Amanda
    Newbie July 2018 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are also having an unplugged wedding ceremony.The officiant will say to put all devices away before we start.I just hate the idea of paying for two wedding photographers to take beautiful pictures of guests and us in the moment and all you see is a phone infront of their face.It will only be for 30 minutes.They will survive!
  • Jocelyn
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It can be done- especially as it's your day!!
  • Ashleigh
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Ashleigh ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having an unplugged ceremony as well. I went to a wedding last Spring and as the bride was coming down the aisle I put my phone away and was present, I had tears in my eyes, as I looked around to see others reactions EVERYONE had their phone infront of their faces. It truly ruined the moment.... I've attached a picture of our sign.

Unplugged ceremony... 1
  • Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I really wanted to do this, but when I mentioned it to my fiancé, he told me that when his brother brought up the idea (he got married 2 months ago), his family immediately reacted saying that it couldn't be done.

We'll ask people not to use flash, and put tulle or ribbon on the chairs next to the aisle to make sure people don't get in the way of the photographer.

• Jocelyn
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ha! my mom would digress...she'd be like "well i have iphone 7..."

me.: stop...dont even finish that sentence!
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Most of my friends had unplugged ceremonies. The officiant, right before the ceremony would start, asked us to put away any phones or devices and to simply “be in the moment”. I really liked it! It’s not THAT hard to put away your phone for 25-30 minutes of your day!
  • Jocelyn
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm gonna speak to our officiant and have him remind guests as well (good chances my Instagram/Facebook loving friends will darn well forget I mentioned it in the invites!)
  • Mzheng
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Mzheng ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it is kind of a nice idea to not have technology during the ceremony. If guests want to take photographs, that is what you pay a photographer for! I like the thought of no phones accidentally going off or people secretly checking their emails. It makes the whole thing much more intimate and special Smiley smile

• Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My priest always makes an announcement before the wedding ceremony to turn off cell phones. We will be encouraging our guests to do this too, because honestly, we are paying someone a ton of money to take pictures for us, and we dog really want to see some blurry awkward photo of us anyway.

We want our guests praying with us. My priest always says that once you take out your phone, you become a spectator instead of a participant Smiley smile I really love that. I'm happy you want to do the same! Smiley smile
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve been to an unplugged ceremony and people were just respectful of the bride and grooms wishes.
  • Jocelyn
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think most of my guests will understand....except that i know a few who probably won't
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We haven't told anyone yet but we are having a sign at our wedding to say it is an unplugged ceremony. I think this is becoming more popular so people aren't as surprised. The whole point of going to the wedding ceremony to be there with the couple and watch them become united in marriage, not to show everyone else that you were there
  • Jocelyn
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly!! i totally agree.
  • Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes I couldn't agree with you more. I feel like technology has taken over our lives. Can't live without it.

I too am having unplug wedding because i want everyone to remember every single moment of my wedding. I want talking to each other not texting/snap chatting/twitting etc.
  • Jocelyn
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I know right?! they're distracting! are we THAT dependent on technology these days? sadly, we are....and i, for one believe wedding ceremonies should be like movie theatres.: phones off/put away
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah my mom backed down the second I put my foot down lol didn't even let her argue it. It's the only way we can do it!
  • Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think this is a great idea. Phones are such a distractions now a days. Plus it's great to have full attention of your guest. It's your wedding and I'm sure your guest will understand.
  • Jocelyn
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Likely. sounds like your mum thinks it's her day...mine does too until i flatly put my foot down
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's funny because I can guarantee that a cell phone picture will not turn out nearly as nice as the professional. But she sounds a lot like my mom..lol
  • Jocelyn
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thats what i said to her- but her fear, which i quashed immediately- the photog missing good shots or the photos not turning out
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My mom is the same, she is mad because she wants her own pictures and I told her no expectations. I hate the way it looks when everyone has their phone up or camera in their faces... I also think it's rather disrespectful too. Back before all this technology ALL ceremonies were "unplugged". So I am 100% behind you on this, it is something I am extremely serious about and agree with the distraction. Just explain to her that when you walk down the aisle you don't want all these phones and cameras flashing and all in your face. It's also very unattractive in the professional photos when you see your guests with phones in their hands as you walk the aisle.
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’ve never been to a wedding where this was posted yet but I’ve always tried to be a considerate guest and kept my phone on silent and put away during the ceremony. I can totally understand why people would want an unplugged ceremony I’ve considered it myself as well just not sure how to communicate it yet. I wish it wasn’t something we even had to worry about honestly...
  • Jocelyn
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My mum doesn't understand why Unplugged Ceremonies are a "thing"...and I refuse to have the distraction.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I refuse to have my guests with their phones or cameras out during the ceremony. I will mention it in the invitation, "Our ceremony is unplugged, so please keep all phones, cameras and other electronic devices off and away. All ceremony photos are covered by our amazing photographers" we will also have a sign out reminding guests as well as an announcement just before the ceremony starts and our ushers will be on duty to tell guest to keep them away if they see anyone with them out. It is? Extremely important to me that every single guest follows this wish. If guests don't like it they can just deal with it, it's not up to them. No one can or will change my mind and my fiance, officiant and photographers all agree with me. So just make it extremely clear how important this is to you and I'm positive all guests will be completely fine. Let them know they can have their phones out during the rest of the day but ceremony is completely off limits.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics