Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Frequent user February 2020 Ontario

Unique "in memory of"

Liarra, on April 23, 2019 at 16:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 18

Hey guys,

I'm looking for unique ways to honor my late father. I've always imagine him walking me down the aisle and having our father/daughter dance but unfortunately that cant happen for me. I will have my mom and brother walking me down the aisle which I'm happy about but I'm looking for creative not to obvious ways to include him in my ceremony/reception.

My main issue is I actually dont want to draw too much attention to it, its more for me knowing its there than anyone else. I dont want people to be sad for me or for my family to be even more sad on my big day!

Any suggestions welcome, I've seen a few but I know you guys will have a ton!

18 Comments

Latest activity by Dionne, on May 1, 2019 at 15:29
  • Dionne
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Dionne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry for your loss. My Fiancée is wearing a suit for our wedding. I found a handkerchief of her dad's from his gold bag. I had it cut into the shape of a heart and it will be sewn into the inside of her jacket over her heart. I also got a small locket sized picture that will be pinned to her boutonnière. Perhaps you could do something similar for your wedding gown if that is possible. or have something of his sewn or pinned to the underside of your gown. Perhaps you can have a dance with your brother and if your father had a brother or brothers that are in attendance at the wedding, they could take turns cutting in for the father daughter dance in memory of your dad.

He is with you always.

I hope you find this helpful.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My cousin wanted to do something to remember her dad on her day and its amazing how she came up with the idea. Her bouquet was wrapped with ribbon and had a small locket picture of her father pinned onto the back of the bouquet through the chain.

That's an idea that can work and you only know its there as others may not realize it as they see you walking down the aisle.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What if you got a picture of him and put it on a keychain or something that you could tie around your bouquet? Then it is like he is walking you down the aisle as well?

My friend is having a piece of her grandfather's shirt sewn into her dress as her way of having him with her on her wedding day.

Maybe one of these will work for you Smiley smile

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I know some people have had a locket attached to the bouquet with a photo of the loved ones. Its not always noticeable to everyone unless they are right there. I have seen someone have a ring sewed into their dress- in a spot that not to uncomfortable to keep close to heart type thing.

• L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks so much! These are all great!
  • L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you Smiley heart And you are welcome.

Sounds like there are lots of really good suggestions in here.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Will you be carrying a bouquet? You can buy dangling charms with a little frame on it to put pictures in.. most of them are blue as well or have some kind of blue detail so it can also be your something blue!.. If you don't like the charm idea, I've also seen just a small frame with a picture attached to the stem of the bouquet with ribbon.. There are so many ways people honour loved ones at weddings, but I think the bouquet idea for your dad is perfect because then he truly is walking down the aisle with you... and no one would even know he was there unless you showed people..
    I've seen candles lit as well on the gift table or recession table.. you could sew his initials into the inside of your dress (in blue thread!).. Is there something you guys had in common or something private between you two like an inside joke or? Just something that maybe you hear or see and it always makes you think of him? You could try and do something with that, or if there's a gift he gave you that means a lot, like jewellery then you could wear that.

• Cliodhna
    WeddingWire Admin January 2030 Galway
    Cliodhna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Liarra!

It will be lovely to find some way to incorporate your late father in the wedding day Smiley heart

I love the idea of the photo charm that you can hang off the locket. You can see an example pictured in this discussion - Remembering loved ones who have passed. A friend purchased a beautiful one off Etsy.

This article from the WeddingWire ideas section also has more inspo and ideas - 9 Ways to Honour Loved Ones on Your Wedding Day. Some of them are quite attention grabbing which you may not like, however, there are some more subtle.

• Hélène
    Devoted September 2019 Alberta
    Hélène ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am so sorry for your loss.

Another idea to throw out...
    Of you still have one of his shirts, a tie, t-shirt....something made of fabric, you could have a piece of it (heart, square...whatever suits) sewn onto the inside of your dress somewhere...or you could use it as your bouquet wrap...or turn a piece into a handkerchief...you get my point. 😊

• L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks so much Kim,
    I think I’ll do something similar. Personally I feel like it would be tough to see his photo displayed on a table with a candle beside it.. and I don’t want to make myself or anyone else more sad about him missing it as well. It can be tricky to try to explain the feelings to someone who hasn’t been in similar situations because they see it more as a way of honouring his presence but can’t fully grasp how it makes us feel if that makes sense. It’s comforting to know I’m not the only one having to think about these things but I’m sad for all of us at the same time. Good luck with the rest of your planning!
  • K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My dad also passed away a few years ago so I know how hard it is. I have a photo charm of him that I will have tied into my bouquet. We will also be doing a donation to the hospice where he passed (instead of favours) to honour him as well as donating our flowers afterwards.

I had considered having an "in memory" table with photos / a lantern but I dont want to draw too much attention to it or make myself sad on my wedding day... so were likely just sticking with the plans I have mentioned.

Good luck - I hope you find something to honour him and keep him with you that is meaningful to you 😊❤
  • L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I really love the locket idea. Not sure if this would work with your style of dress, but I’ve heard of some girls sewing an article of clothing into the inside of the dress up near their heart. You could also consider that for his hankie if you’re struggling deciding where you’d keep it.
  • Cindy
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Cindy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My brother and mom will be walking me down the aisle too. I am having a locket that I got from Michael's added to my bouquet. I also just stumbled upon an old blue hankie of his. Somehow I want to have it with me too. I might have a messaged vinyled or ironed on and have it by me because I know I will cry at some point. Just not sure what I will put on it.
  • L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I really like the idea of attaching something into my wedding bouquet, its very subtle any only I would really know it was there.

I don't know what his favourite colour was, if he had one at all... And I think if I played the song that reminds me of him most I would lose it... So probably best I avoid that lol.

Thanks so much for the input!

• L
    Liarra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love the idea of tying something to my bouquet to have him walk me down the aisle! I just have to figure out what it will be.

So sorry for your loss Smiley sad

Thank you!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

The few things that I can think of that would be a subtle way to incorporate your Father would be:

A photo charm on your wedding bouquet

Maybe put his favourite colour on some decor or have it be an accent colour

Did he have a favourite song you could play?

Maybe you could name your tables something that has to do with your Dad?

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hello Liarra,

So sorry for your loss.

I recently lost my stepdad and am looking for the same kind of thing. Simple meaningful ways to honor his memory but I also do not want it to be a sad focus for the day. So far, I know I will be having my "something old" to be a family ring he gave my mom tied to my bouquet so I have something in his memory walking with me down the aisle. And then I think we will do a standard lit candle with photos at the reception.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics