Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Bethany
Super July 2018 Alberta

Type of Bar

Bethany, on December 1, 2017 at 09:47 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 27
Hey everyone! Just trying to figure out what type of bar is most effective? We would prefer to make our money back on the bar but we are contemplating whether to do a toonie bar or an open bar with a "honeymoon fund"? Pros, Cons, let me know what you think!

27 Comments

Latest activity by Emma, on May 23, 2018 at 18:27
  • E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We were originally planning on providing wine for the table (2-3 you can’t just do one bottle per table). And then switching to a cash bar. But our venue offers an all inclusive option. I didn’t realize at first because I was thinking an open bar was going to be way too pricey, but that option includes all taxes and gratuities, chair covers etc and we won’t be charged a room rental fee. I did the math and it ended only being about $10 more per person to have an open bar. So for us it was a no brainer and we went that route.

• Emma
    Beginner October 2019 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a bottle of wine with each table and from then on cash bar. Open bar is an invitation to get drunk (imho) abd adds thousands of dollars I'd rather keep for our nest egg
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Toonie bar is the best choice since the bartenders will get tips. Open bar costs more and not worth the expense.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I could budget an open bar but that's also a lot of money so I'd prefer the toonie bar. Haha I know the feeling! It's quite a bit of alcohol some people can drink.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes for sure! Definitely makes it easier as transport is time consuming. And yes I'm still contemplating the idea but I think it would be best.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, our venue provides the alcohol. It is way more common to see this done nowadays. I believe we will be doing this as well.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally I'm going for a cash bar/toonie bar. We really don't have the money to budget on an open bar, especially with what some people in my family and extended family can drink.

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! I really hope so! Good luck to you as well!
  • Laura
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good luck! At the end of the day you’ll make the right decision for you guys Smiley smile
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Totally understand what you mean there! It adds up so quick! But then I'm trying to average everything out and realize that half of my guests will only have like one or two drinks so the price we have to spend goes down a little bit lol
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think I may just have wine on the tables or a voucher for them so it's a bit cheaper for guests. But I'm still contemplating what to do.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Very true! And totally understand where you are coming from there! I wouldn't want them to either if they were coming that far
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That makes sense! I've been to a couple different weddings that have both but I think a toonie bar would be the most justifiable for us but I'm still contemplating lol
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Totally understand! Is the venue providing the alcohol? We have to provide ours so I think $2 should justify the costs I think. I think we are just going to have wine on the table for people that way people don't have to but everything. I've seen this done at some weddings.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We opted for paying for the bar during the cocktail hour. We will also be providing signature drinks at that time. After cocktail hour the bar goes up to full price for our guests. In our opinion, you don't need to have alcohol to have a good time at a wedding. Plus, we are trying to keep the price down for us.

• Laura
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing g open bar. In Italian culture, doing a cash bar isn’t common so we stuck to the traditional way of alcohol service.
  • M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing open bar. It is so not cost efficient, but I come from Europe, and although in North America loonie/toonie bars are quite common, back home they are unheard of, and I do not want to make people travelling from the other side of the world to have to pay for their own drinks.

That been said, however, if a wedding has more than 100 people or if most of the guests are North American, I think that the most reasonable option is a toonie bar. It does save lots of money for the couple and it doesn’t hurt guests’ pockets, so it is a win/win situation!
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Have you considered having an open be but for a shorter period of time? I recently went to my cousins wedding where they had the bar open for cocktail hour, but closed it during the dinner service. It might not save a huge amount but it’s a start.
  • Alexa
    Frequent user December 2017 Alberta
    Alexa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Omg the barrrrrr. Such a big decision. I totally feel you. We have about 120 people coming and a lot of our gueats are party people. We wanted to do an open bar but its just not ppssible with our budget. In the end, we will be doing flat rate drink tickets for $5. To start the evening we will provide guests with a few drink tickets - haven't decided exactly how many yet, probably 3 or so. We found some super cute personalized tickets on Etsy. Then people will be on their own to pay for the flat rate drinks, and we will square up for the difference at the end of the night. Fingers crossed that it all works out!
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having a toonie bar, as instead of gifts we will be doing a honey fund. I believe it also boils down to how many ppl will be drinking and are they heavy drinkers or light drinkers? Also depending on your venue will there will be hotel rooms close by so your guests can book a room there to ensure no one is driving on their own and will there be a shuttle transport?

With toonie bar I think it will limit the drinks so less risk of ppl drinking and driving, but they can also have a good time for cheap drinks.

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No problem! I stole it from my friend! She had wines at her bridal shower and had people vote using loonie jars for which ones they wanted at the wedding! Made some money and got help with a decision all at once!
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's a very cute idea!! I never thought of that! That's why I love this site! Other people have such great ideas and think outside the box. Thank you very much! I will definitely have to add that to my list!
  • Ap2017
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I see where you're coming from. Maybe you could set up a few jars with excursions or activities that you guys may want to go on and people can place their tips in the one they'd like to contribute to?
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I am able to budget an open bar that is not the issue. The concern I have is wastage, risk of over intoxication (yes I know bartenders are good but people still manage to get alcohol some how.) I mean I like the idea of having a tip jar for the "honeymoon jar" based as a fund if we are having an open bar. But like I said above, I'd prefer to make a little bit of money on it to offset part of the costs. The only problem is we won't be having our honeymoon until at least six months after our wedding so I don't want to make a registry for it.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah I am super unsure!!! I've heard people who have "honeymoon fund" bars make back there money as well! I don't mind if I lose a bit of money but I've heard good things about both!
  • Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having a toonie bar. No regrets. Both mine and FHs families are pretty heavy drinkers... and most of them drink hard alcohol, not beer. So there was no way we were going to have an open bar. I think that tab probably would have been $4000+. But everyone we talked to about it thought a toonie bar was perfectly fine. They aren’t paying full price for their drinks so most of them still thought there was nothing wrong with the idea.
  • Ap2017
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would look at it more from a budget perspective rather than a making money perspective. If you can budget for an open bar, I would do it knowing that you will likely receive cash gifts from guests that will help things balance out in the end. If you can't accommodate a fully open bar and need to supplement by doing a toonie bar, then that's the road you should go down. People will budget their gift accordingly if they know there is a toonie or cash bar, so it would likely all work out about the same in the end. I would say let your budget dictate your bar option. You can always create a honeymoon registry and choose the offline giving option and then share your registry details with guests (we did Honeyfund and so people knew how much we needed for excursions, but our giving was all done offine (cash) to avoid credit card service fees).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics