Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner October 2020 Alberta

Trying to find a first dance song

Tasia, on November 10, 2019 at 13:19 Posted in Wedding reception 0 23
Has anyone else struggled to find a first dance song? We can’t seem to find anything we like enough to make our first dance. We have been trying to find acoustic covers of faster songs that we like but so far no luck. Does anyone have any good suggestions for a first dance song?

Thanks for the help!

23 Comments

Latest activity by Kat D, on January 8, 2020 at 22:50
  • Kat D
    Frequent user April 2021 Manitoba
    Kat D ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We picked The Sundays' cover of Wild Horses for our first dance song. It was the first song we danced to & it's from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer soundtrack, which is really important to us.
  • Erika
    Beginner July 2020 Alberta
    Erika ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Picking our first dance came real easy for us. We ended up going with a song that we often listened to during our early dating days. I would say go for something that is meaningful for the both of you. Smiley smile

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Are there any songs that mean something to the two of you? do you know what kinda genre of music you want?

• Sadia
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Sadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love Ed Sheeran but I want something unique, something we can waltz to. So far it’s between All of Me (John Legend), You’re the reason (Callum Scott) or Hero (Enrique)
  • Kirsten
    Frequent user April 2020 Alberta
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We were on facebook and the cover just came across and I just knew. Lol was super simple
  • T
    Tasia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Our first dance was someone else’s first dance at their wedding. They invited everyone up to dance with them halfway through the song. I have no idea what it was haha
  • T
    Tasia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are skipping the wedding party too so we are off the hook for that at least! One of my best friends told me that all brides overthink the music lol. She might be right because I can’t believe how much time I’ve spent trying to pick a first dance song haha.
  • Kirsten
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Lol well we are not doing a wedding party so will likely do our first dance song to entrance and go straight into the dance to get it over with
  • Danielle
    Frequent user July 2022 Manitoba
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm having trouble with the grand entrance, myself. Everything upbeat seems to be about something risqué (like Firecracker by Josh Turner) and FH has decided that people are going to be more concerned about the lyrics than watching the wedding party enter so he's poo-pooing everything I come up with lol.

• Kirsten
    Kirsten ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We fell into ours by accident, it is a cover of a song and we like the cover much better. It is the song to walk down the isle I just can't figure out lol

• Danielle
    Frequent user July 2022 Manitoba
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Do you have a song that was your actual first dance? That’s what we’re using. Our first dance was at a rodeo social and the band played When You Say Nothing At All. We both love the song so it was a no-brainer!

• T
    Tasia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks! I don’t think we really have anyone that’s our favourite. That could be part of the problem haha. My FH does really love rock so maybe an acoustic version of a rock song?
  • T
    Tasia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I had this same exact thought about this song lol, it’s perfect but it’s been perfect so many times for so many couples haha.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Is there any song that means something special to both of you?

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I had suggested a song to my DH a year before our wedding and he said no to it... only to then a year later about a month before the wedding suggest the same one to me.... so... there's still time! lol

We ended up choosing the song Green Eyes by Coldplay - but of course I have green eyes so it not only worked well but it was a song that when we first started dating he learned the cords on guitar to sing to me Smiley heart

• Cliodhna
    WeddingWire Admin January 2030 Galway
    Cliodhna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Tasia!

The WeddingWire ideas section has a ton of great articles with song ideas!

Here are some to get you started -

25 Soulful Songs for Your First Dance

25 Romantic Piano Wedding Songs Worthy of Your First Dance

Do you or your FS have a favourite artist or band?

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Choosing our first song was a challenge as we both had different ideas and had to come to a compromise of the following:

Genre: what style do you both like

Artist: Which singer do you both have in common listening to

Era: what year/century would be want to combine or consider

These choices make a big difference to know where your song choices will be made as the final call will come to you both.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So cute! And a beautiful song.
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've been thinking about this for over a year and still haven't come up with anything. I think FH wants 'Perfect' by Ed Sheeran and while it's a lovely song and pretty perfect (no pun intended) for a first dance, I'm struggling to get past the fact that it gets used SO. MUCH.

• M
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For ours, we chose something that felt like we both connected with. We got engaged at Disney, and FH's favourite Disney movie is Tangled, so we are going to have our first dance to At Last I See the Light from that movie!

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I struggled for awhile and all the help I got or could find were songs that are so over played and I refuse to have our first dance song be like that. Neither FH or I have mainstream tastes, particularly where music is concerned. But I just happened to be listening to a song out loud that I've had on my playlist for years so I guess I had become accustomed to it because FH comes over and asks what the song is and thought it would be a great first dance song, and that was that!

• Judice
    Frequent user November 2019 Ontario
    Judice ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I must've gone through 5 'it' songs before I found my first dance song. My big problem was that I was liking everything I was coming across and wanted the song to match the vibe of the wedding.

Extra, I know, but it just happens to be my personality. I ended up finding mine on Spotify as a suggested song (randomly) and it just clicked in my head.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am having this same problem! And everything I have liked my fiance has shot down.

I've found a few acoustic versions of songs I've liked on stations on Spotify. Ive been putting it on as background noise and adding songs I like to a playlist.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics