Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Arexy
Devoted October 2020 Ontario

Trudeau’s Announcement

Arexy, on April 9, 2020 at 15:33 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 21
So... I am sure everyone has seen or heard Trudeaus announcement by now. Supposedly, this could last up to 12 to 18 more months. What is everyone thinking/feeling?

21 Comments

Latest activity by Cassy, on April 14, 2020 at 20:46
  • Cassy
    Newbie February 2023 Ontario
    Cassy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've been having trouble planning during this. So many thing you have to see in person to be sure! I feel crazy extending my timeline. I'm sorry to all the couples that have to postpone Smiley sad
  • Stefanie
    Devoted August 2020 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yea, the populations are a lot greater than in SK. I'm hopeful that they are lifted for everyone's upcoming wedding too!
  • Vanessa
    Devoted December 2021 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Jenelle

I am worried about that too because I feel like everyone that is cancelling now is fighting for alternate dates that will carry over to next year.

I don't want to panic too much right now but this is definitely a thought going through my head.

• Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is a good idea - thank you!

• Cassie
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Cassie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi!
    You are correct. I just know Ontario and Quebec-I’m in Ontario-are the two provinces that may take longer to slowly open and lift restrictions because we have it worse. Obviously 🙄

Staying hopeful for all of our days! I’m in September on the 6.
  • Stefanie
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There is more than one strain of the virus because it continues to mutate, so not all strains are affected the same way.

I also read an article that said that the governments figure that more people have had the virus but just passed it off as the flu. Not everyone affected by the virus develops severe symptoms. The government is looking into this more now as the people that have had the virus have created an antibody for it.

But again in regards to Trudeau's announcement, he is looking at the country as a whole and not province by province. Certain provinces are already in discussion with coming up with a plan to lift restrictions and are planning to have a plan released by the end of the month.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I mean he could be saying that so everyone takes it seriously... cuz i know there are a lot of people that arent. we live by a park and its FULL daily with people.

• Beatriz
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't know what to think. We postponed from May to November and I feel like that was not enough. I wish we knew for certain.... I really don't want to send another set of invitations.... its like a cruel joke.

• K
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t think these harsh restrictions will last that long- however- we definitely have a few more months with these drastic measures in Ontario for sure. Our projections are still quite high, and our hospitals are only just beginning to see an influx. These measures have only been in place under 4 weeks. We still have a bit of a long haul. My guesstimate would be July at the earliest.
    It’s unfortunate. It sucks. I’m mad that my dream wedding in June is no longer...but The bright side is that when a celebration happens- everyone will be healthy and happy and it will be safe.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is the new era of home life that will prolong life outside life to spend with loved ones in health issues and getting together with them. This virus has taken away our work and time to go out enjoying anything. Grocery shopping will be more time than ever to get through these days which isn't something we look forward to.
    Given the other side of the coin, make the best of the year and save up since there isn't much to worry about and the business will have to waive their charges due to the announcement. It gives less financial issues for now until the huge bill comes to pay.
    Lets all keep safe and well as we all will get through this time together.
  • Jillian
    Frequent user September 2022 Ontario
    Jillian ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    There’s other parts of the world, that is summer time right now and the virus is thriving. Therefore the virus isn’t temperature dependent.
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think his comments were very broad and can be taken so so many ways. Do I think there will be a new normal? Yes. Do I think the way we are living right now is what the rest of the year will be, heck no. For the simple fact that economy cannot support itself for that long. The government cannot support us for that long. I think there might just be various measures in place, like maybe large gatherings of thousands (think festivals, sporting events etc) might be cancelled or amended. And I think we will all need to be extra cautious about practicing healthy habits!

It's interesting though because I read Trudeu's announcement today and got scared, it was so depressing. But then in Alberta our Chief Medical Officer's update was so positive and uplifting, and seemed to follow the actual numbers. Not these projections that could very well be wrong.

Either way - it is so stressful and scary! We can only take day by day, and I wouldn't hold true to everything said in the news.

Lots of care to everyone.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    His comment is more scare than anything. What he means is we will probably have multiple waves and you’ll feel the effects for 18 months - it’s common.

We haven’t seen this before so that’s why there’s such precautions happening. Eventually we will have a vaccine!

Without a vaccine it’s more difficult but in about a year we should have a vaccine.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey fellow December wedding peeps!

We're using a few major events later in the year to gauge whether our date will be a problem: Taste of the Danforth, the Toronto International Film Festival, the Santa Clause parade. If these events go through as planned and we don't see spikes of cases afterward as a result, then we're in the clear. If we see any spikes or outbreaks after any of these events, we'll change plans.

• Stefanie
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have withdrawn myself from the media because all it does it escalate everyone's fear. I've been looking at things one province at a time, whereas Trudeau is looking at the country as a whole. There are provinces that are doing much better than others. There has been articles stating that they are thinking about lifting restrictions in BC as early as May because over 67% have recovered.

The other thing to keep in mind is that they are commenting on what is happening now as many people are unaware how the summer with affect everything. I read a study that proved 3 out of 4 strains of the virus are killed in higher temperatures. The study discussed that the virus is covered in an oily like structure, so in warmer temps the oily structure began to melt. Whereas in colder temps like right now, it hardens it instead which is why the virus is thriving.

Stay positive everyone, we will get through this and things will look up Smiley smile

• Jenelle
    Beginner December 2020 Saskatchewan
    Jenelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Vanessa,

My wedding day is the same as yours (in Saskatchewan), and I feel the exact same way. We definitely don’t want to postpone, but I am starting to worry that if we get closer to the date and have to postpone, all of the 2021 dates will be booked.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My first thought wasn't about the wedding but about not seeing my family or friends for several more months. All the missed birthdays, and holidays, and not getting to see friend's kids grow (I have a few friends expecting or with small ones).

I'm less worried about the wedding than I expected to be tbh. At one point we talked about eloping before we booked any venues and now we might get a chance to look at that plan again.
  • Kristen
    Curious October 2021 Ontario
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Today was probably the first day I actually felt like my wedding may not happen & that hit me super hard. The bridal shower & stag I worried about having to move or cancel but never thought far enough ahead to the wedding.
    I’ve moved my bridal shower from May to June, everything is just a waiting game.
    I feel like I won’t move anything until we have a clearer picture of how things are doing within the next month or so. That also adds the stress of struggling to find a new date, but after planning for 2.5 years, our wedding date being our 10 year anniversary I feel like it’s so hard to decide now & regret it if things get better.
  • Sasha
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey. Yes he said it could last in waves up to 18 months until we find a vaccine.. but he said it looks like the first wave should peak in summer and end by fall.

• Vanessa
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have mixed feelings for sure .. on one hand, I think about what's happening and it's very concerning and on the other hand, I think we will get through this and I shouldn't worry. These two thoughts go back and forth all day everyday and it's so stressful. My wedding isn't until December but it's just in my nature to over think and become much more paranoid than I should be so this isn't the greatest situation for me right now.

• Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hard to make any decisions as so much could change within a month so just monitoring the Situation. Even if it’s going to “last” that long I don’t think we’ll be in quarantine that long. It’s not attainable for people or businesses.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics