Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Traditional Wedding Vows? Keep or Cancel?

Lynnie, on September 16, 2019 at 09:49 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 30

Do you still get emotional when you hear the traditional promises of "in sickness and in health"? Or are you all-in on modernizing the old wedding vows and making them more personal to your relationship?

Do you want to keep or cancel the traditional wedding vows?

Traditional Wedding Vows? Keep or Cancel? 1

Photo by SambaJoy Photo & Art in Vancouver

Next Question: Parent Dances

Back to the Beginning: Keep or Cancel?

30 Comments

Latest activity by Taylor, on December 4, 2019 at 17:20
  • Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having a very spiritual ceremony and there is no sickness and health thing but something similar. i will be crying from the moment i wake up till the moment i go to bed because thats who i am lol. but my FH is autistic and when he feels even the slightest bit uncomfortable he goes non verbal. so even tho he knows everyone there he doesnt like the attention and so even getting "i do" out of him will probably not happen. he will probably just nod. so getting a whole speech out of him is impossible. we have decided to write letters/notes instead which will be given before the ceremony. we might even be cute about it and have our service dogs deliver them. so his will deliver mine to him and mine will deliver his to me.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're going to modernize our vows. Some of the same ideas will be there, but I feel like death is such a morbid word on a happy day.
  • R
    Frequent user November 2021 Ontario
    Racheal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mixed feelings... I think the traditional vows are very nice and a good foundation for what your marriage could represent. I have a poem I wrote a few years ago for my partner that I want to read him, and we have our individualized vows in progress. They have aspects of traditional vows, definitely.

• Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are keeping traditional vows as our priest and rabbi don't allow us to write our own vows but they will help us personalize them

• Meghan
    Beginner May 2021 Quebec
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Both. we're writing our own vows because they're so personal and I love that, but then at the end of each of ours we're adding the typical ones as part of it.

• Christine
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cancel. We are writing our own vows. I like that it adds a personal touch to the ceremony.

• Kat D
    Frequent user April 2021 Manitoba
    Kat D ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Cancel. We’re writing our own ceremony, having a close family friend(who’s basically a 2nd dad to me) perform the ceremony & writing our own vows.
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Cancel. We wrote our own vows, even though my fiance didn't want to. I told him he could do traditional if he wanted to, but he didn't want it to look like I cared more than him. 🤣
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Kept. It was important to my husband so we stuck with them!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep. We did the original vows in the simplest form.

• R
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Cancel. When writing them I do plan to keep a little tradition and incld. Some of the traditional but I will be doing my own vows.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep it. We stayed traditional and saved the personalized stuff for our reception speech.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cancel I think. We'd like something more personal.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mostly keep. We'll probably modernize some of them, but most of them will be the same

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keep! but without the outdated parts
  • A
    Devoted July 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We both will be writing our own vows. He has been very hush hush about what he is going to say, but I know I may keep some traditional vows but mostly make it more meaningful to the two of us.

• BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Some Keep and some Cancel. We aren't religious, so it's going to be altered a bit from the super traditional ones, but traditional vows are going to be the framework. There are a couple that do this in a book I picked up (A Practical Wedding: Planner) that are like this....we might use those.

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are writing our own vows for our first look, but we are going with somewhat more traditional vows during our ceremony.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cancel.
    We went with canned vows (didn't write our own) that we personalized a bit to make them more "our own".

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cancel, we'll each be writing our own vows.

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep Smiley smile we decided to not write our own and just stick with the church vows. I am so glad because I wouldn't have been able to keep myself together ahhah

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keeping parts and cancelling others. Our officiant worked with us to come up with more modern vows.

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cancel, pretty sure we're writing our own vows

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sort of both. Keeping SOME traditional vows and exchanging for our own here and there. There are a few I can't abide by, and want it to reflect a more modern relationship.

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were going to do traditional vows as I've felt that they covered what a marriage was pretty succinctly. Then we found these slightly modernized vows and went with them. They are very similar to the traditional vows, but felt slightly more personal:
    "I believe in you/the person you will grow to be/and the couple we will be together. With my whole heart/I take you as my husband/acknowledging and accepting/your faults and strengths/as you do mine. I promise to be faithful and supportive/and to always make our family’s love/and happiness my priority. I will be yours in plenty/and in want/in sickness and in health/in failure and in triumph. I will dream with you/celebrate with you/and walk beside you/through whatever our lives may bring. You are my one/my love and my life/today and always."
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cancel- We are doing more modern vows and adding our own personal spin to them

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cancel - we wrote our own modernized vows.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Cancel - the Catholic Church doesn’t allow couples to write their own vows.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cancel - we aren't doing vows at the alter. Just want to get married and straight to the reception! We plan on writing cards to each other to read while we get ready though Smiley smile

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think cancel. Will go for something more personal.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics