Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Madisyn
Expert February 2020 Ontario

Today would have been our wedding day...

Madisyn, on April 11, 2020 at 09:20 Posted in WeddingWire 1 26
I woke up this morning and immediately thought of where I was supposed to be, and what I was supposed to be doing. Today was supposed to be one of the best days of our lives... After a 400+ day countdown, it's so unbelievable that we aren't at the finish line. I'm grateful that we got legally married 2 months ago, but I am sad that I'm not ever going to wear my wedding dress to walk down the sandy beach of Punta Cana. We are rescheduling the wedding to a small event in my hometown, but it isn't my dream, and all of the little details we planned won't come to fruition. We also have no idea when we will be able to have the backup wedding, and the uncertainty is killing me.
Today feels like a true goodbye. Through all the cancelling and rearranging plans, I hadn't truly felt this sad until now. I know that I'm not alone, and that so many of you are losing your dream date, your dream venue, and your dream wedding... I hope this serves as a reminder that despite terrible things going on in the world, you are still suffering a loss. I hope each and every one of you have the support you need to make your "would have been" day as good as can be. My heart goes out to all of you!

26 Comments

Latest activity by Madisyn, on April 20, 2020 at 15:04
  • Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's exciting - congratulations! It's great that you're still planning your dream wedding.
    Our priority is starting a family, so planning another trip abroad and fitting into my dress when this is all over isn't part of the plan. But it's okay! We will still have a honeymoon eventually. 😊
  • H
    Beginner September 2020 Arizona
    Heather ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiancé and I are going to get eloped in September of this year. I am still planning on having my dream wedding in Mexico, and having a ceremony. You can still have your moment in the sun Smiley smile
  • Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Poor thing Smiley sad you can always save your dream wedding for your vow renewal. Doesnt have to be a million years. You could renew your vows in 5 years even. Or on your 1 year you can do what you wanted just minus the ceremony. Who is to say you cant wear your dress just because you feel like it? Big hugs to you. I hope whatever happens you still enjoyed yourself
  • Lisa
    Beginner August 2022 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I also was to have my dream wedding this year. We had invited guest from all over BC, USA, Ontario when I say all over I mean it!! Our wedding has been 15 years in the making and now with all that is going on in this world and the uncertainty we have contacted everyone and told them that we will release a date in the near future. I have been very upset with this decision but would rather have my family and friends safe. May all the brides and grooms out there that have had to post pone, know that you are truly blessed with all your friends and family that are standing by your side through this difficult time.

• Denae
    Newbie February 2021 Alberta
    Denae ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This made my heart break. Keep your head up! A pandemic can't last forever... right?
  • D
    Beginner May 2023 Ontario
    Denyse ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is such a sad time for us brides. My wedding was supposed happen May 17 2020 so we postpone the wedding untill July 18 2020. However, after much consideration and what they are saying we decided to postpone until June 26 2021. I want to celebrate with my family and close friends and I want my guest to have fun and not have to be 6 feet apart. I'm sad but at this point its really out of our hands and to be honest the stress of worrying for the next few month is gone. No matter what choice you make I wish all the brides health and happiness during this time. Stay safe Smiley smile
  • M
    Beginner August 2020 British Columbia
    Mikayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Remember to stay positive and think of all the positives you have right now. I’m getting caught up in a lot of the negatives but remember to think of what we do have in these hard times! Remember what the real meaning of getting married is. It’s the love you two have! Keep a list on your fridge of all the good you experience during these times to keep your heart uplifted. Love is what we have and it’s the most precious gift
  • Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel terrible for the people that were to be married after all of the virus stuff and social distancing happened.

We married on August 3, 2019 and I know how much time, money, planning and dreaming goes into planning a wedding and to have to postpone it or cancel or even change the vision for your wedding just breaks my heart. Whatever you end up doing I just hope you end up with a beautiful wedding day filled with love and laughter. Everyone deserves the best wedding imaginable.
  • M
    Beginner April 2020 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Nice! We didn't wear our wedding dress and suit, ours was super casual! Today would have been our wedding day... 1

• M
    Beginner April 2020 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had a legal wedding after we had to indefinitely postpone our April 04 wedding this year. His whole family was to come from out of the country 😥. Trust me I know the feeling. Even when we have our ceremonial wedding and reception when this is all over it just won't be the same as having it on the day we married, even now it sucks just thinking I was still supposed to be on my honeymoon and enjoying my husband. I'm essential services, so instead of honeymooning I'm just back to work and nothing feels like it has changed. It has really sucked and taken a toll on both me and my husband. We still had our day, and are happy to be married, but we didn't get our dream day either that we were so excited for.
  • Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I do feel lucky that we were able to get the legal part sorted. I really feel for all the couples that aren't even able to do that right now! Fingers crossed everything clears up before your big day!
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Awww so sorry to hear!! i cant even imagine!! at least you guys are married tho if we have to cancel our wedding we cant even get legally married cuz service ontarios are closed and we cant get a marriage certificate

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is a great idea! You guys look so happy which is the most important thing!

I agree with you - I think my wedding dress is too special to wear if we only do a legal ceremony.
    This is so hard and heartbreaking!
  • Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Today would have been our wedding day... 2
    This is what we wore!

• Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It is such a difficult decision! One that nobody saw coming.

I wore a plain long sleeve red dress to our legal ceremony. It was Valentine's day so red fit the theme! I wouldn't have wanted to wear my wedding dress to the courthouse to be honest. If we do cancel altogether, we will be hiring a photographer to take photos of just the two of us and immediate family if we can. Not getting to wear my dress would be the most devastating thing to me so I plan to make it happen one way or another!
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I feel you - it’s such a difficult decision! FH is trying to be optimistic that our day will go ahead but I’m still concerned. It’s just so hard to say.

Did you wear your wedding dress to your legal ceremony? I feel like I’d want to wear something plain and simple if we end up just doing that but then again I love my dress but it just won’t be the same Smiley sad
  • Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for the well wishes, Amelia! We are happy together and that's what we are celebrating now. 😊
  • Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, Vinod! We hope we will get to recreate the day locally, and then take a tropical honeymoon at some point.
  • Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! I appreciate that. ❤️
  • Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We considered cancelling altogether, and we still will if the lockdown continues for the entire summer. I really hope it doesn't come to that for either of us! If it's any consolation, we made the most of our legal wedding and it would be enough for us to move on in life knowing that the people closest to us were in attendance. It might not be an extravagant wedding, but you can still make beautiful memories!
  • Madisyn
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your support and words of encouragement! This community has been so helpful throughout the entire planning process, and it's really great to have people to lean on in a time like this.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm so sorry for you two. But you're right, you're greiving and it is absolutely fine to take time to mourn for the day you've dreamed of for so long.

Even if you didn't get your dream day I hope you enjoy a long and happy marriage!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its a feeling no one ever wants to have in their hearts as you are feeling today. Its a shame today didn't go as planned and not being at your destination spot. Knowing you got married ahead is done and not now to feel the pressure more.

Your day will come to make the ceremony special to recreate and celebrate with family and friends later on this year hopefully. Punta Cana sounds a great spot to enjoy the sunshine.

• Sasha
    Frequent user June 2020 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My heart goes out to you!Smiley heart Smiley heart you're not alone in this

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m so sorry Smiley sad I totally know the feeling - it’s just crushing!

If our day can’t happen in July (and there’s a huge possibility it won’t happen) we will be cancelling altogether for a variety of reasons. We’ll get married with our family but won’t have a reception.
    It’s sad when you spend so much time planning, thinking, hoping, saving, envisioning this amazing day and then for no fault of anyone - the day doesn’t happen.
    My heart goes out to you and your husband! At least you have one another to help get each other through this time.
    The health and safety of our loved ones is paramount but to not have the day you dreamt about is heartbreaking. Sending virtual hugs to you today!
  • K
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Kara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m so sorry 💜 this is truly a strange time. I’m sorry you weren’t able to have your dream wedding. It’s honestly soul crushing. You are definitely not alone- this wedding wire community is behind you supporting you 100%, and grieving alongside with you.
    I’m so glad you were able to get legally married and that you have each other through this difficult time. Enjoy this day today as best as you can. Whatever it may look like. You do you! 💜💜💜

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics