Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Danielle
Newbie June 2023 Ontario

To up-do or not to up-do...this is the question

Danielle, on October 15, 2019 at 16:41 Posted in Beauty 0 11

Hey ladies,

What are our thoughts on up-do's for the wedding??

I have near waist length fashion colored hair, that looks it's best (usually), curled with a flat iron.

But this is a big day, and I want to look my actual best.

With no vision of what kind of up-do would suit me, or what would look best with my (untraditional) dress, should I be concerned with an over-the-top hairstyle, or stick to what we know looks nice.

11 Comments

Latest activity by Kelly, on October 22, 2019 at 16:51
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Why not meet in the middle and do a half up/half down?

For me, the decision was easy. I never wear my hair up, and wanted to look like me.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I always wanted my hair down but after goign to many weddings i realize all the girls hairs never stay and fall by the time the reception comes. i will be doing a low curely bun so that way when i dance i wont be all hot and bothered

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol oh trust me I get where you are coming from. My hair has to be right on top of my head or else I get a headache. Oddly enough I had a low bun for my wedding and had no troubles. If they use pins instead of elastics I don't think there is much tension.

But if you do half up half down, you can always throw it up at the end of the night

• Danielle
    Newbie June 2023 Ontario
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks for the input ladies!!

• Danielle
    Newbie June 2023 Ontario
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's strapless, so maybe i'm not far off by thinking about keeping it down.

Also, it a lot of hair, so i'm worried ill have a migraine by the nights end if there's too much weight on my head. i'm sure you are familiar with that feeling!

• Danielle
    Newbie June 2023 Ontario
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats helpful, thanks! Its a strapless dress,so maybe down it is!!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say it has to do with what your dress looks like. This is the chart I used:

Hair to Neckline GuidelinesTo up-do or not to up-do...this is the question 1

Of course, play around with it though - my dress was a v-neck but had such nice detailing on the back that we put half up and half down but to the side

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What does your dress look like? I think starting there would help you to find a hair style that will look best. Or as Kelsie said do a trial with someone, and see what suggestions a hair stylist gives you.

For me, an updo was the easiest. My hair is down to my butt, and every time I wear it down, it ends up in a pony tail or a bun by the end of the night. So doing an updo meant I didn't have to touch it all day!

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Danielle,

I struggled with whether to put my hair up or not as well. I went for a trial and had them put it up, and they did a great job, but I just didn't feel like me. I ended up going with a stylized version of my hair worn down and I absolutely loved it. As others have suggested, ask your stylist to try a few things so you can determine what feels right to you?

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Kelsie - trying some styles out or at least consulting with your stylist would be your best bet. I'd show them a photo of your dress and they can help you come up with ideas from there. Maybe you could try some variation of those curls? You could have a half up situation, or a braid or something added to your regular look to add a bit of flair. I'm sure between you and your stylist, you'll come up with something perfect Smiley smile

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Do you have a hair stylist? You could have a trial with them and try something new if you want and see how it looks and decide from there !

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics