Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jennifer
Super July 2019 Ontario

To do e-photos or not

Jennifer, on October 22, 2018 at 16:09 Posted in Before the wedding 0 19

So, with our photographer, engagement photos aren't included (this is because she is a good friend that is giving us a discounted price). The cost of the engagement photos isn't the issue. (she is affordable). But I am debating on them because we aren't doing any save the dates, I doubt we will use them for invitations.

opinions???

19 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on October 26, 2018 at 16:27
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did one even though we didn't use them on our save the dates or invitations. It was nice for us to get to know the photographers a bit and their style. We also figured out which poses we didn't find flattering and which ones we liked and wanted at our wedding. In our engagement photos, we had a lot where I was looking up at him, and since he is so much taller, they looked awkward. For our wedding photos, we did more where I was in front of him or we were further apart and looking at each other. Plus, professional photos look SO much better than cell phone photos so it's nice to have a bunch of good-quality photos of us!

• Vanessa
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I decided to book an extra e-session on top of the one that came with my wedding photography package and honestly I don't regret it! I found someone who was cheaper because she's just starting out and I love the fact that I'm going to have photos in 2 different seasons! I'm not doing save the dates either, we just never take photos because we always forget (let alone professional photos) and if nothing else they make for amazing profile pics haha! Obviously 2 e-sessions is extra (that's me!) but I defintiely recommend doing 1

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I also agree with what Allison said regarding getting comfortable with your photographer (and in front of the camera) as an engagement photoshoot will give you an idea of what to expect from them.
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you don’t plan on utilizing them, then it’s drfinitely not necessary, but this is a special time for you and your fiancé so perhaps documenting it might mean something later on!
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did our e photos with another photographer - mainly because we live 18 hours away from the wedding and wanted to do them locally. We thought about for-going them altogether because of the distance, but we decided to do them for a few reasons:

1. To feel comfortable being photographed. I am the WORST for looking like a serial killer in posed pictures. Most of our shots were candid so we didn't do many "looking straight at the camera" shots. My FH doesn't smile much in photos so he needed to get comfortable too

2. to have nice, professional photos of us. Not just for our Save the Dates, but for frames we got at our engagement party, and for our wedding. We're going to recreate one of the shots at the wedding.

Those are the 2 big reasons we did them, a 3rd would be to get comfortable with your photographer but it doesn't really apply to us lol

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If it's important to you and your FH, do it. If not, I think they're a little overrated. FH and I are doing it since it's included in our package, otherwise we wouldn't be.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ultimately, if you feel the engagement pictures are important to keep , go for it and pay the extra cost.

If the chances of not keeping the pictures for long, save the cost and skip it.
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's always nice to have nice photos of the two of you, even if you don't use them for the wedding, it can be fun and a bit of a taste of what it'll be like on your wedding day!
  • Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will always recommend to do them. There's such few times in our lives that we have the opportunity to get professional pictures done. We DID use one for our save the dates but we also used them for:

- I have one framed on my desk, and a couple others framed at home

- I used them in our seating chart at the wedding as well

To do e-photos or not 1

It's just nice to have them, plus you get to get more comfortable in front of the camera. I realized during our engagement shots that I just DONT stop talking - so I was talking in 90% of the photos lol. Learned my lesson for the wedding day.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I will be having e-photos done around the same time that I got engaged as to recreate the moment and that is literally the only reason why. If we had planned on getting married this October instead of the next then I would have skipped it all together though. Not needed but I want it for a change of season in the pictures Smiley smile

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Meh. If they aren't in your package and not really on your radar (for Save the dates), then I wouldn't go for them.

We didn't get any e-photos done, as our photographer lives in our hometown (4-hour flight away) and it wasn't included in our photo package. My FH was quite happy with that, as he wanted nothing to do with them.

• Emily
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ours came in our package but we sent out our save the date before our photos. This was our wedding invite. The venue also had 3 photo boards at the entrance. We did a board of photos of my husband growing one, one of me growing up and a board of our photos together. We included our dogs in our engagement photos since we met at the dog park and wanted to have them included at the wedding. I also put a photo at our cake table and cardbox table. If you don’t think you will use them for anything and are okay with just having wedding photos I think you’d be fine to forgo them.

To do e-photos or not 2
  • Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Highly recommend having them done. In addition to "its always nice to have nice pictures", it really does give you an opportunity to get comfortable and it gives the photographer a chance to get to know how you guys are as subjects. We also are using some engagement photos 1. for the slideshow for the wedding and 2. as part of a gift for our parents on the wedding day.

• Jocelyn
    Beginner August 2018 Alberta
    Jocelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had engagement photos included in our package. I found by getting them done we were more relaxed and natural looking in our wedding photos.
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If they aren't included in the package and you don't want to do save the dates then I personally don't see the point. We wouldn't have done them of they were not included in our wedding photography package.
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wanted to do it not only for save the dates, but also just because my Fiance and I do not have a lot of photos together. So they are nice to have for that reason. Also we are both a little nervous having our photos taken, and it was a nice practice for what we can expect on the wedding day. I do recommend doing them all in all.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I looooved ours. Granted, they were included, so I didn't have to wonder about doing them... But I would have done them anyways!

We did our Save the Dates before the engagements photos, so we didn't use them then... however I love having a stash of adorable photos to post here and there as we count down to the wedding... also I used them on our wedding website. And if you haven't picked a guest book yet, one thing I'm considering is a big wrapped canvas to have everyone sign, using one of the engagement photos.

I also got 3 photo books printed from Vistaprint, for about $15 each (including taxes & shipping), one for us, one for my mom, and one for his mom.

I think it's just something sweet to do together... and if you ever need photos for ANYTHING... you've got nice ones that aren't your wedding ones.

It got both of us really excited for the wedding... and it was even just an awesome evening out together!

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think this is completely personal preference. For us we did them because they were included in our package, and we are also using a photo for our save the dates.

My grandparents are big with photos and always love having new ones. So for us it is also a good keepsake for them.

For me it was also a way for my FH to get comfortable in front of the camera as 1. he is not huge on pictures and 2. we have never done professional pictures together and i wanted some casual ones also.

If you really want to do them you could always use them for Christmas cards?

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you don’t have a big desire to for some more professional photos of you and your fiancé I would skip it. If on the other hand you love hanging family photos on the wall go for it. You can’t do wrong either way.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics