Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Super September 2020 Ontario

Tipping

Amelia, on September 19, 2020 at 08:46 Posted in Plan a wedding 3 7

HELP! As far as tipping goes, how much is appropriate? For hair and makeup artists with assistants, would the artist and her assistant each get a 15% tip or should I just give the two of them 20% to split between them?

And is it still 15% on the expensive bills like photography? That would be like a $500 tip, which seems insane to me. And should it be each or to split between the business owner and his assistant?

7 Comments

Latest activity by Paula, on September 23, 2020 at 16:06
  • P
    Newbie April 2021 Ontario
    Paula ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't had my wedding yet, but this is the current tipping plan:

No tip for catering, bartending, or waitstaff, because there's a gratuity built into the contract.

No tip for our photographer because she owns her own business and I'm already paying an arm and a leg for her services.

No tip for the shuttle driver who is providing a shuttle service between our hotel and the venue, because this is included in their overall charge

I'll be tipping 20% for both hair and makeup.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Tipping maximum amount chart based on vendor tipping giving 2 different views on how you feel to go about giving a little extra.

Tipping 1TippingVendors-3.png

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think 20% for hair and makeup would be appropriate. Alternatively if 15% is close to an amount that is easier to split I would round it up for them.

I have always been told that professionals who own their own business don't get tipped but staff do. So we are not tipping our photographer or baker because they set their own prices.
  • Stefanie
    Devoted August 2021 Saskatchewan
    Stefanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I definitely think it depends. Both my salon for hair and makeup and our hotel for our catering, venue and bar costs include gratuity in their costs. The others do not so those I am more likely to tip. Will it be 15%.. that I am unsure about yet lol.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think you would need to tip, most photographers have a set rate since they are freelanced by themselves.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Most photographers are freelance and set their own rates. Unless you hired them based from a studio woo assigned you this person, I wouldn't tip on top of that.
  • Michelle
    Frequent user June 2023 British Columbia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For the makeup and hair, I personally would only tip 20% for the 2 to share. 30% tip is just a bit high (I do realize they would be splitting it) for our wedding I am keeping % in mind but will tip based on how well they do their job. The DJ will be there for 6 hours, so I am feeding him dinner which is 80/ plate.....so I think an additional 100-175 would be appropriate but the DJ at 20% would be 3-400 and that is just too much! It’s so hard too because so many charge more because it is a wedding. I already feel slightly ripped off with some things. For instance if I got a bouquet of flowers randomly, that looked like mine for the wedding, it would cost half the amount! But because it’s a bridal bouquet it is more expensive.

My day of coordinator has been so amazing, and assuming the wedding goes perfect lol I plan on a tip for her and a thank you gift.

Tips for my food/bar services are included in the food cost, so check for additional info in the contracts saying if they are already Adding tax in.

I treat tipping always based on job performance.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics