Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stephanie
VIP May 2019 Ontario

Timing for Speeches

Stephanie, on March 7, 2019 at 15:06 Posted in Wedding reception 0 13

Hey everyone! So I'm working on timelines with my FH now and I'm a bit stumped on when to do the speeches...

We are doing a buffet, for 200 people, so I am allocating about an hour for everyone to get food and eat! How is it okay to have a speech during the time people are getting food?

I was planning on having the Welcoming speech (dads) right after the first dance when we come in. Following by the dinner blessing by our MC, MOH speech, Best man speech... and then tables start going up to get dinner, during this time I was going to have my Bridesmaid/FSIL to her speech and then my FH and I say a quick word during dinner as well! (we will have anothet thank you later in the night)

How does this sound? If anyone is also doing a buffet style dinner how are you managing all the speeches during it?

Thanks!

13 Comments

Latest activity by Jenay, on June 9, 2023 at 10:27
  • J
    Newbie October 2023 New Mexico
    Jenay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    How did that timing work out for you? We have 120 on our guest list but will probably have closer to 100/110, I was planning on 30 minutes into dinner but should I change it to 45 minutes?
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No! That we don't have to worry about, buffet tables will be in the foyer where the cocktail hour, just outside the main doors to the reception area!

• M
    Curious May 2019 British Columbia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're going to be playing a slideshow of pictures of us (from childhood to present) while the guests are grabbing their food (we're also doing a buffet style). We'll be doing speeches near the end of dinner, as most people will be finishing up.

Something to note, if your caterers are taking your buffet tables away for your dance floor, you won't want that done during speeches!

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally, I would avoid having the speeches while people are getting their food, once people are seating, eating, I think would be a good time to continue speeches!

I'm not having a buffet but I'm thinking of having speeches throughout plated dinner (i.e. in between courses) however, I know guests also like having dinner time to talk amongst themselves but I think it would be nice to break up the speeches instead of all at once too!

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's not a bad idea too!!! Oooo I'll think that one over with him thank you!
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I really like the idea of having a couple of speeches after your first dance.

If you are worried about keeping your guests entertained while getting their food, then why not have small games, like trivia. After each round (2-3 questions), the MC would call for a table to get their food.

Once everyone is seated with their meals, you could start the rest of the speeches.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah that's fair! I'm just worried about nothing happening while people are getting food too... so I thought throwing 1 speech in that time would be good and then the quickie one from us! Thanks for the timing! I've been seeing different times everywhere
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm more concerned about people in line missing the speeches.... the buffet is just outside the reception hall, the doors in between will be open but yeah I'll make sure the mic is good and loud Haha!
  • Michelle
    Expert April 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was told while making my timeline you can start speeches while everyone is eating, but give them quite awhile to get their food and sit down if you're doing a buffet. I have 118 guests and I was told to leave a full 45 mins at least before starting speeches. So you will want to wait longer possibly. It will take the last few tables awhile to get their food and sit down again.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Speeches during the dinner time should be avoided since everyone will be hungry and want to eat peacefully. For the most part, have the speech time for the wedding party to 2 minutes each and more time for the parents and yourselves. Before the dinner is served is the best time for the wedding party to make their speeches and after the dinner, both parents and you both speak to finish the speeches. Then the dancing can start and all the guests can party with you.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it’s a good idea to take a break from speeches while people are getting dinner. People likely won’t be paying attention to the speeches if they’re lining up for food and that’s not fair to the speaker(s).

id start speeches either after everyone has finished eating, or once they’ve settled into their meal.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Leah! Having someone talking while people are getting food could be a ton of noise happening all at once.

I like the idea of doing a couple speeches before the meal. But you can also have the bridesmaid speech during dinner once majority of people have sat down to eat. Then you and your FH can do your thank you etc, when everyone is almost done eating, or during dessert.

• Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like your idea of having spreading out the speeches!

Just make sure mosts guests are sitting so as not to create too much noise from being in line at the buffet.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics