Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Clara
Curious May 2021 Ontario

Thoughts on restaurant weddings?

Clara, on May 13, 2019 at 15:28 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 17

Hi all.

We want a very simple wedding as we are not flashy people, we are still students and our families are not in a position to help out. We have found a Cantonese restaurant to hold the reception that can cater to our number of guests (~200) and with a menu we absolutely love. This place has a nice muted decor so we wouldn't need to add anything like centre pieces etc. Holding the reception at a restaurant also just feels like us - we want our wedding to be just having dinner with our friends and family. My only worry is, although there will be a dance floor and a DJ all night, I am worried on how to keep the guests entertained throughout the evening (we probably won't have many speeches). We can't afford to have big activities like a photo booth or anything like that.

Has anyone done a restaurant wedding before and how did it go? Were people content just hanging out, eating and drinking and dancing or did you have 'activities' planned to keep everyone entertained? What are some low-budget ways to achieve this? Is this something I should even worry about?

Thanks

--C

17 Comments

Latest activity by Clara, on May 15, 2019 at 11:51
  • Clara
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Clara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I actually really like the advice cards idea - I see them a lot on Pinterest and definitely can get people talking!
  • Clara
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Clara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    There isn't much space for outdoor activities as it's a parking lot and we don't want to interfere with other patrons. If we had the space I would definitely have something going on outside especially since we have a bunch of kids coming!
  • Clara
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Clara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh this is a great idea! I'll definitely look into DIYing a photobooth..
  • Clara
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Clara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is what I'm hearing from most people. I just want to make sure everyone has fun!!
  • Clara
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Clara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!
  • Clara
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Clara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This sounds lovely! Shoe game is a great idea and hanging out with everyone is really all we want for our wedding - I'll stop overthinking everything! 😄
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Although I haven't been to a wedding that has been held at a restaurant - I think you should be fine! It's basically what every other wedding has but just a different location.

For my wedding we are going to fill the time by having outdoor activities because of our location but also the usual indoor ones that have been mentioned: cake cutting, bouquet toss, garter toss, shoe game

Our outdoor activities are: bonfires, smores, possible outdoor games like yardzee and jumbo jenga.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sounds you have found what you two want and that's great to have it in one place to save the cost. Restaurant is different yet unique. Sounds great to hear you have a low key cost wedding and the décor set too.

The idea of having a full table set up for the wedding and reception saves time and ready to move from one event to the next. Enjoy your celebration.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think people will know how to entertain themselves. I've never been to a restaurant wedding, but the weddings I have been to have had none of the extra "perks" to entertain their guests and everyone got on just fine.

Stay authentic and jut have the nice restaurant wedding you want. Originally FH and I wanted to do the same thng (and I almost wish we did lol).

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having some cards and board games around if people get tired of dancing. We couldn't afford to do a photobooth either but we ordered a polaroid frame cutout off Etsy that we will hang in a doorway and then we got a bunch of cheap props off Amazon and have a makeshift photo area, maybe this will work for you?

You can also do things like "The Shoe Game" to keep people entertained. If you are doing a bouquet/garter toss will also keep people entertained.

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing a restaurant wedding with apx 45 guests and don’t have anything additional planned (dinner, drinks, dancing and a couple short speeches is it) and I think it will be enough. There’s lots of options if you feel like you need to find activities but I don’t feel as though you have to. Smiley smile
  • Amie
    Devoted August 2019 British Columbia
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There are tons of activities to do at a wedding for interaction. The shoe game for example, or advice cards and date cards for the newly wed couple, garter toss and bouquet toss. Pinterest has a lot of fun ideas
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don’t think you need anything additional! your guests will love chatting with other guests and dancing.
  • Melissa
    Devoted May 2019 Alberta
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a small elopement a couple weeks ago at a restaurant, and it was great. Granted we only had about 13 people, but it was fun to just hangout with everyone. It kind of felt like a house party! It was great.

You could do the shoe game?

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Were having our wedding at a pub in a few weeks. We don't have any additional activities planned but dont anticipate a problem. I kind of just see it as a fancier version of a night out with friends/family lol... Our guests that have given feedback so far are excited for a more laid back feel.
    It's your wedding and if a restaurant wedding is what you want I say go for it!! I've never had a bad time hanging out drinking and eating with family and friends 😉
  • Clara
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Clara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you! I do plan on doing a bouquet toss so you're right that will definitely be something they can look forward to! I won't be doing a garter toss as that's not really my thing. As we are doing e-vites for most of the guests, I was also thinking of letting the guests suggests songs they would like hear at the reception (with our veto of course haha) that way we know the playlist will please everyone at some point. I'm glad to hear that it looks like we have things figured out! I get so easily overwhelmed and confused sometimes by planning that I keep second guessing myself Smiley catface

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

HI Clara!

This sounds amazing! Are you able to do a garter toss and bouquet toss? I won't be doing a photo booth either! We will be just doing a few speeches and lots of music! if the right tunes are on people will dance and either way socialize. I am doing a bouquet toss but not garter as don't want that.

I haven't been to one but honestly sounds like still will be just as nice ! I wouldn't worry sounds like you have things planned out and will be amazing!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics