Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Curious September 2020 Alberta

Thinking of doing our own food

Slma, on December 10, 2017 at 16:06 Posted in Wedding reception 0 5

We are thinking of doing our own food. Mostly to save some money, but also because I think we'll enjoy our own food more. Just wondering if anyone has any tips, tips or feedback. We will probably have about 150 people. Here's the details:

- We've picked a reception venue that has a full kitchen and is already stocked with all the tablewear. We will rent it out the day before the reception so we can prep there.

- We are renting a really big smoker / BBQ combo that comes on its own trailer. It will be parked in the parking lot of our reception venue. We just need to buy the meat and then a friend has volunteered to man the smoker / BBQ for the entire cooking process. We're thinking of doing beef brisket and pulled pork. We are also doing corn on the cob and beans, which will also be done on the smoker / BBQ.

- We are also doing ceaser salad, potato salad and buns. The plan is to prep these things prior to the reception and store them in the kitchen until serving.

- I think we would still need to hire a couple of people to keep the buffet plates full, man the bar and wash the dishes as we go. We'll also probably have to rent some serving dishes to house the buffet food.

Does anyone have any experience doing something like this?

5 Comments

Latest activity by Slma, on February 17, 2018 at 12:08
  • S
    Slma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks a great idea about the wetnaps. Thanks for suggesting it!

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No comment of value other than that sounds absolutely delicious!!! Oh and make sure you have wet-naps Smiley smile

• S
    Slma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you both for the feedback! That's a great idea to hire a local group. I've also considered just doing our own meat and having a caterer come in to do everything else and then have them serve the meat. So many options!

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is literally what we are doing with an almost identical menu and same number of guests.

we are looking to hire a couple people the day of to refill all the buffet dishes. The only warm items we will have are smoked corn on the cob, baked beans (crockpot) and pulled pork.
    we will put the pulled pork into the smoker overnight before the wedding so it is done in the morning and then we will keep it warm in buffet trays (fortunately my mom owns these because she has done some catering before) The corn will get cooked the day of in the smoker and the beans will be done ahead of time and just need to be heated in the crockpots.

We have decided to go with plastic plates and cutlery to avoid the big clean up mess.
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have cooked for large crowds a couple times. My thoughts are:

-check online or with a caterer for amounts. I do not remember what was recommended to me--I want to say a cup of salad per person, average, but I could be off on that.

-Make sure there is enough fridge space for everything that is prepared beforehand

-I think for 150 people, you will want more than one person on the BBQ/smoker

-I would also suggest warming trays to put the meat in once it is cooked (easier to serve than straight off the grill)

-I think you would want people available to refill the buffet line and take away any empty trays (I would suggest at least 2 people--3 or 4 might even be better that way each person has 1 or 2 foods to look after)

-I don't think you need a food permit for a private event, but might want to look into that (rental company or venue might require it)

-My friend hired a local church youth group to serve at her wedding. She paid the group $300. They also refilled people's water, coffee, tea at their tables. They were raising money for a missions trip. It might be an idea to check into for people to serve. Arrange the amount with them beforehand, and the number of people they will send.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics