Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Morgen
British Columbia

Things to skip on

Morgen, on June 28, 2020 at 18:39 Posted in Plan a wedding 1 21
What are some things in wedding planning that you feel is ok to skip out on or just isn’t “necessary”?

21 Comments

Latest activity by Kimberly, on July 13, 2020 at 13:08
  • Kimberly
    Curious November 2021 Manitoba
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We arent doing a cake as there will be dessert with the meal and we arent huge cake people and thought we could put that money to better use. We also aren’t doing “traditional wedding favours”, technically the marble name place setting will be their “take home item” if they want them since their names will already be on them.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I used the WW Checklist and some of them didn't apply since the cost would have added up easily. The list that didn't get checked off were:

Transportation since guests were at one location only for the venue and Welcome Dinner near by at a restaurant.

Wedding Planner as the wedding was small and décor was easily put together within a short time.

Catering saved due to venue package included plated service to guests and wine.

Engagement party adds up to be the same as the Wedding day.

Florist costs are high and don't last long as artificial (rented).

Decorator was originally started and then cancelled since the venue's coordinator took care of all the vendors and set up itself (wedding/reception).

• Marissa
    Frequent user October 2021 Alberta
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Not yet but I think that's a good idea!
  • A
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wedding favors, dessert table (already provided as a course in dinner service), fancy transportation (limos), personalized napkins, photo booth, garter toss, videographer, paper invitations (do online)

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think the best way to go about what you want it start at the beginning. What do you need? Then add what you want from there.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Have you checked on marketplace or asked friends if they have a set you can borrow?
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LOL, I think what caught my eye was when you said "for sure" nothing for the groomsmen and as a guy, I'm like "Hey!" This is just me personally but I think if you're doing something for the ladies, he should be doing something for his guys. And I don't think three ties is a lot to ask, and it's something they can keep and reuse.

• Marissa
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes they'll be wearing ties. I think everyone will be renting suits possibly. I imagine it sounds bad lol I didn't intend on leaving the guys out, I just wanted to get robes for the girls and leave it up to him what he wanted to do for his guys, but he's feeing like since we're paying for dinner and open bar that's more than enough.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Are they wearing ties as part of their outfit? Even something as simple as paying for their shirt and tie is a nice gesture, especially if they had to fork out more to get coordinated suits.

• Brittany
    Frequent user July 2022 New Brunswick
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We aren’t doing favours as many people have said. We aren’t doing a garter toss. It makes me uncomfortable and I think a waste of money. I wasn’t going to do the bouquet toss either but I got the toss bouquet for free so I might as well use it.
    We are doing cupcakes (and most likely making them ourselves) and maybe getting a small cake to still have the cake cutting.
    We aren’t getting an aisle runner or flower petals, or real flowers at all.
  • Marissa
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I would be okay with it, however my partner doesn't want to spend money on his groomsmen, and thinks it's a waste of money. I plan on having our photographer take getting ready photos, so I wanted to have the robes for those pictures. Him and I have very different ideas about what we want to do for the wedding and what to spend money on. If I can think of anything special to get for the groomsmen I'd be fine with it. I thought about cigars, but I know only 2/3 of them would be into that.
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just curious - why get something for the ladies (robes) but nothing at all for the men? They have just as big of a part in your wedding as your female friends and are helping you realize your day.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're not tossing the bouquet. We don't care to call out our non-married friends by making them seem desperate for a proposal.

• Erica
    Beginner September 2021 Ontario
    Erica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with everyone on wedding favours, I would add skipping real flowers, if you want a bouquet do fake flowers from dollars store or Micheals craft store, and depending how you are for planning and dependable people around you I would skip wedding planner they cost a fortune
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It depends on what you personally can’t see without. If you want bare bones, you could get an officiant and wed outside at a public place and host your own reception. We’re having a small wedding so we’re skipping entertainment, transport, favours, videography, event planning, outside decor, maybe cake if covid keeps up.
  • K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Put it this way, the only “necessary” components of a wedding are the couple, the officiant, the marriage license, and two witnesses. You’re not obligated to buy into any other tradition if it’s not in the budget or doesn’t feel authentic to you. Amanda’s advice is great. Pick three things you and your fiancé really care about (food? Entertainment? Photography? Your dress?) and focus your money and effort there.

That said, I do think there are some small things you can cut right off the bat, if finances are a concern. Favours are probably top of the list, as many others have pointed out. That’s not to say they can’t be super cute but realistically many people forget them and nobody will be offended by their absence. Also individual ceremony programs, menu cards, place cards, elaborate invitations/stationary, etc. Anything on paper really. Things in this vein can be a lovely touch but they’ll eventually be discarded and won’t have the same impact on your guests’ experience as, say, an amazing meal.
    Personally, I’m ditching all of the above. I’m also foregoing the bouquet and garter toss because I find these traditions a little cringey (more so the garter toss). And we will not have a fancy tiered wedding cake—just a small one to cut ceremonially. I campaigned for no wedding cake but it was really important to my FH.
  • Tay
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Tay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Totally depends on what your vision is and top things you want.

If everything going as plan. Regarding paid things, skipping: limo, maybe no wedding cake- maybe cupcakes to serve as favours, no veil, no boutennaire, no flowers as decorations, no videographer, mostly online invitations, no save the dates, no alcohol, no rose petals for aisle or aisle runner, there's probably more stuff I'm forgetting
    Regarding most of the traditional wedding stuff we'll be skipping that also.
  • Amanda
    Devoted July 2020 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think what's important will vary from person to person. For us we didnt spend money on paper invitations and had originally planned to have a small ceremony and dinner (although thay idea has since been scrapped because of covid lol). No wedding favours, no fancy wedding car. We picked what our three most important things were and went from there.
  • Marissa
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're also not going to do favors, some people may not agree with this but we're not going to hire a dj - we are just going to make a playlist and plug my old phone into PA system, but we also aren't big into dancing. I think photobooth is not necessary, traditional wedding cake, and I agree on possibly skipping garter toss. Not getting gifts for bridal party unless robes counts (for sure not getting anything for groomsmen), we aren't getting a videographer, we won't be printing out menus or programs, wedding planner or coordinator (this probably depends on size of wedding and if you have family or friends to help you out). I'm not going to have a flower girl, ring bearer or the accessories that go with that. The one thing I'm undecided on is the cake cutting set... I feel like it's unnecessary and that it won't be used after the wedding, but I kinda want them 😏
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are skipping a few things. Wedding favors( people leave them behind),a full meal (apps and cake only), no open bar(my friends would bankrupt us via booze), no garter toss (I'm not comfortable having my new hubby up my skirt in public let alone paying for underwear and then flinging it into the crowd), and we picked cupcakes instead of a tiered cake.

We are also skipping the traditional format where no one sees the bride before the ceremony. We will both greet our guests before our vows so we aren't rushing around during the reception to see everyone. Friends did this and I loved it, it was very them.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I are skipping out on wedding favors. Just because most people forget to take them home at the end of the night.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics