Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

The wedding party - are even sides important to you?

Joey, on January 11, 2018 at 08:05 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 23

This is a question that I see asked about all the time in various forms - should anything be done about uneven sides in the wedding party? Are you and your partner having the same number of attendants? Are you worried about things being balanced? Have you and your partner discussed how many attendants you'll each be having, and are you trying to match? If you are having uneven sides are you concerned about how to arrange the procession, or pictures, or seating?

I'm curious to learn about your personal wedding party opinions - are even sides important to you?

The wedding party - are even sides important to you? 1

Photo by LaMemoir Photography in Toronto

23 Comments

Latest activity by Katie, on January 30, 2018 at 10:25
  • Katie
    Frequent user October 2018 Ontario
    Katie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're having uneven and we're both happy with it. I have 7 and he has 5. My side is big, but each girl is so important to me and have been such wonderful friends to me that I really couldn't even imagine not having any of them up there. But I also didn't want to make my fiancé have 2 people up there that he didn't want, just for even numbers. For us it's important that we have the ones that mean the most to us by our sides, regardless of the look.
    And I agree that with the right photographer, it doesn't matter the numbers!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally don't care at all. Just have the people up there who mean the most to you and if that makes the numbers uneven then so be it. For our wedding I had 2 attendants and my husband had 3. Pictures still look awesome!

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just my personal preference.....

• M
    Expert July 2018 Alberta
    Marina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not really important to us. I’ll have 2 and he will have 2-4 people.
  • Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yes I prefer even sides! My fiancé and I have slight OCD so we prefer to keep things even!!!
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I strongly disagree that even numbers look nicer in pictures. With the right photographer all pictures will look just as nice.

The wedding party - are even sides important to you? 2

The wedding party - are even sides important to you? 3
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We originally planned to have 5 each but now he has 5 and I have 4. I think it works perfectly because it doesn't matter even or not as long as you're happy with who you have.
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    To me yes 4 and 4 but we are only having a flower girl/ring bearer. So 11 in the wedding party. But to each their own.
  • Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yup. Looks nicer in pictures.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The OCD in me says yes but I wish it wasn’t because right now we have uneven sides, but I’m asking my last bridesmaid in a couple of weeks so we should even out by then
  • Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In theory no, but Im a type A perfectionist so Im insisting on it lol.

• Meghan
    Frequent user August 2018 Newfoundland and Labrador
    Meghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Right now we have even numbers on each side but I really want to ask one of my other friends to stand for me as well. Me and my FH decided that I should ask her and then he’ll decide later if he’s going to ask another friend or leave it uneven. He feels weird about asking someone else now because he asked his other groomsmen about 2 months ago. I think he’s also struggling with the idea that it will be me in the center of the table/ pictures instead of us together.
  • Sashanette
    Curious April 2019 Ontario
    Sashanette ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ideally I want even sides but as of now , I have 2 more than him. Most of his family is overseas and he's a very limited ppl he calls friends. I don't want to take any girls out. I have 7. Well I want to take my sister out but that will cus family issues so I'm stuck
  • Chanelle
    Frequent user September 2019 British Columbia
    Chanelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It mattered to me to be honest. I wanted 5, but he needed 6, so I chose to add 1 more. I feel fortunate that I had so many close friends as options. And I like the symmetry of it. I know it’s irrational, but it always make me think that the person with less people is less popular LOL
  • Kristine
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Kristine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think even sides matter. Our wedding ended up working out with 3 on each side.

The a good photographer will arrange your wedding party in a way that makes your pictures look great! We only have a few shots with boys on one side, girls on the others, it was usually a mix of both on each side. You shouldn't all always just be standing in a line anyways.

When you look back on the memories, you'll regret leaving somebody out (or including somebody you'd rather not) just to have an even number.

• Fewster
    Beginner July 2020 Ontario
    Fewster ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ideally yes.
  • Diyana
    Newbie September 2018 Ontario
    Diyana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it definitely depends on the couple. Putting pressure on having even sides could result in the bride/groom asking people to be their bridesmaid/groomsmen they wouldn't have necessarily thought to or vice versa - not asking people that they did want to!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wanted even numbers. We both could've asked more people, but didn't want a huge wedding party, so capped it at 3 each. I wanted to include all our nieces and nephews though, which meant 1 flower girls and 4 nephews to find roles for.

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't THINK even sides matter, however, our sides do match with 4 of each. Just sort of worked out.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Even sides dont matter to us! I have 5 bridesmaids and he has 4 groomsmen...it was more important to us to include everyone regardless of numbers than to have balanced photos.
  • Ashley
    Expert March 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having 6 on each side plus two flower girls and two ring bearers, so yes having it match was important to us! Smiley smile

• Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nah, not really but our sides are even.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    W discussed to have only o d MOD and BM each side and colour to indicate whis side is whom. First picture husbands side and 2nd picture was my side

The wedding party - are even sides important to you? 4

The wedding party - are even sides important to you? 5

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics