Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

The Garter & Bouquet Toss: Into It or Over It

Lynnie, on 20/August/2018 at 08:05 Posted in Wedding reception

This one's less of a trend and more of a tradition that some people are deciding to do away with! How do you feel about the bouquet and garter tosses? Are these still an essential wedding tradition to you, or are you totally over it? Into it or over it? 馃拹

The Garter & Bouquet Toss: Into It or Over It 1

Photo from The Drake Hotel in Toronto

Keep talking trends with us!! Up next is Metallic Bridesmaids Dresses: Into It or Over It?

Share:

26 Comments

• Nelly
    Devoted October 2020 Ontario
    Nelly

Over it we're not having neither

• Maddie19
    Beginner July 2020 Alberta
    Maddie19

Over it.

I've never been interested in either thing.

• Meaghan
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan Online
    So over it.

I dont like the bouquet toss but it doesn't feel gross like the garter toss does. The worst is when the groom plays it up as he's groping her and/or there is cheering. It has such a toxic masculinity vibe and feels almost predatory to me.
  • Rayanne
    Featured February 2021 Ontario
    Rayanne Online
    Definitely over it. Not something I have ever wanted to do
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha

Over it, we will absolutely not be doing this

• K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim
    So very over it
  • Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya
    I鈥檓 over it, but of course we will be doing it to please the family that wants it.
  • Bianca
    Featured August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca

Over it! I really don't like this and dread being coerced into doing it.

• Emily
    Devoted February 2020 Ontario
    Emily

Definitely over it - we are not doing either!

• Kyla
    Beginner September 2019 Ontario
    Kyla

Over it. Most of the weddings I've been to I have totally missed that portion of the night. Plus no way am I throwing my gorgeous (most likely expensive) bouquet!

• Genis
    Frequent user January 2019 Alberta
    Genis

I had my first bouquet toss and caught it, but thats because there was like 3 of us i that joined in. So I don't think we will be doing either at ours

• C
    Curious August 2019 British Columbia
    Calla

Over it, will not be having either.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra
    Over it. Probably won鈥檛 do either.
  • Jennifer
    Frequent user January 2022 Ontario
    Jennifer
    Over it!! I totally agree that the garter toss is gross and part of my mother's family is Muslim so that's a hard no. Even though they are North-Americanized, part of a multicultural family and expect a white people wedding I still will not have him going up my dress in front of Gramma. Creeps me right out as to why this is even a thing.

And I agree the bouquet toss gives the impression that women need to get married to have worth. I hate that attitude and I've detested every single time I had to go up and stand there, in heels no less, and jockey for used flowers to validate my future. Yuck! As a feminist I can't imagine doing the bouquet toss, no way!!
  • Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie

Into it. We are definitely doing the bouquet toss and garter toss!

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie

Over it. The last wedding that I was at there were 2 men that went up for the garter toss--both of them pushed into it by their gfs!

Comment on this discussion

Related articles