Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alexandra
VIP November 2019 British Columbia

The Cash Bar

Alexandra, on June 20, 2018 at 02:16 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 38
So this is more of a rant than anything but I’m just getting really frustrated with everyone saying it’s rude to have a cash bar.

First of all, where I’m from it’s normal.

Second of all, the price of alcohol in this province is already high and my venue has ramped that cost up times 3!

Thirdly, don’t you think I’d have an open bar if it was something I could afford?

What is with people feeling the need to shame people for it? It’s out of my budget and my family are heavy drinkers. It’s not like I’m not providing any drinks at all, I’ll cover a couple I just can’t afford eight hours worth of drinks, and that doesn’t bother my family in the slightest. But I’m really sick of feeling bad about it because everyone else feels the need to share that opinion when I literally can’t afford to change it.

38 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on February 27, 2019 at 20:45
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Its hard to hear from others about cash bar. Those who want to want to pay for an open bar for you two apart from family should be happy to do so. They have no clue as to how much you are putting into your day and what you can afford. Let them talk and just brush it off at the end of it knowing you have the power in your hands. Don't let them get to you and if anything just let them know the details are on the invitation. It should shock them enough.

• Vohr
    Newbie July 2019 Alberta
    Vohr ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Were doing a toonie bar. $2/ drink with us supplying the alcohol for the venue. Guests don't have to pay $6 a drink and were not stuck with a $2000 bill the next day. In Alberta they are very common and realistically if you have 12 drinks your out $24... that's like 3 beers in a pub these days. Its your wedding so do what makes you happy, if ppl are that upset maybe they're not good friends and family to begin with. Just saying

• Gabbie
    Frequent user June 2019 Nova Scotia
    Gabbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was very shocked the first time I saw it last year but I think it's become more and more normal for cash bar weddings in Canada. I am cutting costs elsewhere and hosting beer and wine (I will make sangria for cocktail hour), but since it's at a family's backyard if people want to bring something else, they can.

My side is going through great lengths to participate at my wedding (the visa to come to Canada alone costs more than I have budgeted per person), so I don't mind doing the effort of doing open bar.

• Sara
    Curious August 2018 Alberta
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm doing a cash bar as well, and have had a lot of people complain so I told them not to come, that stopped the complaining. We told everyone on the invitations as well as on our wedding website. If people don't like it I don't care, they aren't paying for my wedding.

• Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Don’t let the opinions of others get to you! It’s YOUR wedding and you’re doing what you guys can afford!
  • B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I see, Thank you
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Don't let anyone rain on your day. You do deserve the respect given from those who think otherwise. Not everyone can afford to have open bar and put more out of your pocket. Have your cash bar and enjoy the evening of your celebration.
  • Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Right ! Booze is so cheap there , they really have no idea. Most of us could afford an American bar of PBR and non-Cuban rum Smiley smile LOL.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ah! I hear ya.
  • Alexandra
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It was in abook written by a US wedding planner that set me off too! Like jeez maybe you of all people should realize not everyone can afford that!!!

I have people flying in from England, but in England cash bars are way more common so I’m not super concerned about them
  • Alexandra
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Nah BC, thankfully more people here have cash bars too
  • Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Maybe they want to pay your hydro bill the following month, or kick in for flowers! (DO NOT go on any US site bc OMG they are very outspokenly nasty about the cash bar) . It's not a bday or stag party- the object of the game should not be to get as wasted as possible at the expense of a new couple; they can do whatever they want at their own wedding.

My hubby was dead set on open bar, I get it, but I can't justify the cost when I am driving all over picking up second hand stuff, DIY'ing and bought my dress of the rack. So we can save $5k for people to get drunk (and we can't really indulge either bc who loves a sloppy bride)? The waste generated on open bars is what would kill me!

We have people from all over the world coming, flying in, spending a few days at our venue paying hotels and taking time off work to be there. Asking for them to then also pay for drinks seemed like a real toughie for me.... but we found the best of both worlds.

We are supplying champagne toast, wine (we are bringing our own and just paying corkage to keep cost down), domestic beer and signature cocktail (likely a highball like G&T bc those are cheaper). If that isn't good enough for you, then you can pay for something else.

When a chunk of guests don't even know what a twoonie is you have to get creativeSmiley smile

Ultimately no matter what decision you make, on any aspect of your day, someone would have done it better or differently or xxxxx . Do what is right for you, ignore the noise.

• B
    Devoted September 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I hear you girl. Wouldn’t happen to be Ontario, would it? Sad to say, most people just come to the reception to drink.
  • Marie-Claire
    Devoted August 2018 Quebec
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't see any problem with a cash bar, that's what we're doing too.

I feel like an open bar, on top of being a huge expense, just encourages people to drink too much, and I hate being around drunk people. So I'm not going to set myself up for an unpleasant night at my own wedding reception.

We're paying for the cocktail and the first drink for everyone, and that's it. I didn't even think of putting a note on our invitations or our website, so I hope our venue accepts credit or debit cards (if not, they do have an actual bar in the building, so I guess that someone who really wants a drink could still get one in any case).

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Another BC bride here... I totally get it! My venue even suggests NOT doing an open bar because they know how much waste there is, and how expensive it ends up being for the host.

My venue has a 2x markup on wine bottles they provide (from BC liquor store prices), and if I want them to bring in specific wine, it's 3x markup! Cocktails aren't even discounted really for open bar vs cash bar... if it's $6 for a bottle of Bud for a guest to buy, it's only $5 for me to buy for them... UGH!

Anyways, we are having bottles of wine on the table (one red, one white) and ONE welcome drink ticket. And that's still going to be over $1500....

I'm lucky, so far the younger (late 20's, early 30's) guests I've talked to totally understand why it's a cash bar (many of them married recently themselves)... so I haven't had any backlash yet. Plus my mom and dad totally agree too, aside from even paying the bill, they don't want drunken loonies and wasted drinks.

Anyone who thinks it's rude needs to get off their high horse and suck it up. It's your wedding.

• Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Whosaid cash bars are rude? Ive never heard of that! As someone who bartends part time, I HATE open bars. You make no tips because no one brings money, people get obnoxiously drunk and then get mad when you cut them off, and people always complain about the alcohol options!

I vowed at my first open bar to NEVER have one, so we are doing a toonie bar! If people aren't happy with yourdecision, that's on them but dont let them make you feel badly about it!
  • Alexandra
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You guys are awesome! I feel so much better after waking up to this.
  • Sheilah
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Sheilah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's awesome! Yeah that was the one thing that threw my brothers reception off, haha. It's a 50/50 shot around here whether they do or dont so most people assumed or were told yes. Oops. 😂
  • Alexandra
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    They definitely do have a debit terminal! They have it written in their brochures. It’s nice because I really don’t know anyone that normally carries cash!
  • Alexandra
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No they don’t keep raising them, I meant the markup is three times the price of the actual liquor!
  • Sheilah
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Sheilah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As a guest I prefer a cash bar. That way I am in control of what is spent on something that's a luxury item. I would never expect someone else to pay for my drinks. My only advice is check with the bar to see if they only accept cash or if they do both cash and debit. My brother didn't check with his venue and told everyone debit was fine but they only accepted cash and there was no ATM for people to access on site - they had to go to the nearest convenience store. Otherwise, I love cash bars!

There won't be any alcohol at my wedding this time. But when I married my ex we had a cash bar and no one had a problem at all!
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've bever been to a wedding that wasn't open bar. That being said my fiancé and I were considering doing a cash bar initially because of the cost.
    There is nothing wrong with doing a cash bar. The wedding is supposed to be about what the bride and groom want and what they can afford. I find usually people making those comments are ones who haven't gotten married and have no idea about the costs of things.
    If people are going to be like that then just take them off the guest list!
  • Allison
    Newbie August 2019 British Columbia
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I completely agree! Both of our families are quite large and even though we wanted it to be small it’s already around 80-90 people. I would never expect someone to pay for my drinks. They’re supposed to be there for you!

I actually had a friend a friend ask me if it was open bar.. I told her we didn’t know yet. She “joked” that her husband didn’t want to come unless it was open bar. I didn’t find that very funny because obviously they said that whether it was a joke or not. Let’s just say my FH instantly wanted them off the list.
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I wholeheartedly Agree.

We chose to have a small guestlist so that we could afford an open bar.As I’m sure all of have done with our budgets, we prioritized what we were willing to sacrifice to get what we wanted.

I think it’s rude to attend an event and then complain about aspects of it. Folks aren’t on an episode of 4 Weddings, they’re there to celebrate with family and friends. If you have to pay for drinks, buck up and do it or just don’t drink 🤷🏾‍♀️.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't see anything wrong with a cash bar! One of the things my fiancé and I considered in choosing our venue was the cost of alcohol - we ended up choosing a community hall so we could do a toonie bar instead of a cash bar, as there is NO way we could afford an open bar anywhere!

So long as it's made clear on your website and invitations so your guests know to bring money, then there's no problem!

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I totally get that part that where you're from it's normal! I am from a small town and every wedding I had been to before I moved to the city was a cash bar. You would never anticipate that it would be open. When I moved to the city open bars became the new normal and I've seen friends spend ridiculous money on them! It's the same here, people are kind of quietly shamed if it's not an open bar but because of my upbringing, if it's not mentioned that the bar is included I always have cash on me to pay for drinks.

Honestly, I definitely thought we would have a cash bar but our venue doesn't allow anything but an open bar (special events permit) and I was so stuck on the venue. Luckily they've made it extremely affordable but if I could, I would have even done a toonie bar.

Your wedding is going to be beautiful and it's nice enough you're covering a couple drinks. Drinking alcohol is a choice and people will have fun regardless.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I completely understand - I've had people on both my side as well as my FH's side ask if it's going to be open bar. It gets to the point where it's like all they want out of my wedding is free food and alcohol when they are the ones who are suppose to be celebrating us and in all honesty - be giving a little money back our way to afford the celebration! We have decided on open bar buuuuuuut that will be taking up 1/4 of our budget because we are cutting back elsewhere to make sure it was something we had.

If I was asked to a wedding I would have no problem paying my own drinks, it gives me a reason to act my age and not get hammered!

• Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel like as long as the cash bar is stated in the invitations, or somewhere else, so that people know to bring money for it, then it’s fine! We wanted an open bar, but that’s not for everyone - and you’re right, it does get expensive! People are there to celebrate your big day, they’re not there to expect a free night of drinking
  • Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing cash bar for the exact opposite reason, in my family we have like zero heavy drinkers, and they make up like 40 out of my 60 guests, so we weren't going to pay so much money for open bar for like 20 (friends) people, if that. We did the math too! We're buying 5 drinks for everyone - and we know for a fact that most people in our family won't have more than 1 so we're doing tickets and having a pool, whoever doesn't drink theirs someone else can.

Your family should understand that having an open bar is outrageously expensive these days and that you simply cannot afford it, they're attending to celebrate you and your new husband not to get plastered on your wallet.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have never had an issue with a cash bar at a wedding. Some people can afford open bar and some can't and that's just how it is. Don't allow the opinions of others to make you feel lesser. Your wedding will be amazing whether or not they have to pay for their own drinks.

• Leanne
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ultimately it is your wedding, so do what you want. If people are not happy with it than that's there problem. But it seems like your family doesn't seem to mind, so don't listen to the haters. Open bar is extremely expensive, especially when you have heavy drinkers in the family! The only reason we are able to afford to do open bar is because our venue has reasonable prices, it if was 3X the amount, we'd probably be doing a cash or a toonie bar.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Alexandra, what’s most alarming about your post is that your venue has increased their prices THREE TIMES?! That’s awful! How do they expect you to plan a wedding when at any given moment the price may increase at your venue?

As for hosting an open or cash bar, like you said, it’s common to have a cash bar where you live so people need to mind their own business. Weddings are expensive and we’re all doing what we see fit/what we can afford/what is available.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics