Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Devoted October 2019 Ontario

Teens Table

Amanda, on September 24, 2019 at 09:19 Posted in Wedding reception 0 10

We will have about 13 kids ages 8 to 15 with most being 13 or older, and I am wondering if we should have a teens table at dinner time? Most are shy but do know each other.. My kids wouldn't mind sitting at their own table but also say they don't care. My next question, if I do the teens table, what can I put on the table for them too do, other than sit on their phones?

10 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on October 1, 2019 at 16:24
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally dont like this.... teens arent gonna wanna sit with 8 year olds that they dont know. i wouldnt do this but thats just me

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm personally not a fan either of kids/teens tables - it seems odd to separate kids and adults. I can see it working if all the kids were cousins or from the same group of friends. (i.e. all the cousins have their own table). My cousin did this at her wedding (she's the oldest of the cousins) so I was at the table with my younger brother and cousins, which was pretty fun, but I felt like a babysitter since I was the oldest (17, brother was 15, other cousins were younger).

For our wedding, there isn't enough kids/teens to make a kids/teens table, but the cousins are seated together and the aunts/uncles are at the next table. Most cousins are adults now, some are teens (2).

If you do the teens table, you could put out mad-libs, word searches, etc. to keep them entertained.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will have my younger adults at the same table. They all know each other already and would rather have dinner with their friends. I'm not sure what to do with younger kids yet. I'm not even sure how many will be there. We went from adults only to if you want to watch your own kids you can bring them ugh.
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a kids table (Ages 4 - 13) and the bigger kids will watch the little ones. They are all ok to sit on their own, and honestly when we have big dinners, they sit at their own tables anyways and fight to sit together.

It just makes it easier for us to put them all together so they aren't running around and switching tables anyways

• A
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I figure after dinner they will all end up at the same tables anyways or the dance floor...

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ok, that makes sense.
    I think the parents would know their kids and talking to them is a good way to determine if tht works for your group.
  • A
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was at one as a kid too and I was at the kids table, lots of activities kept us busy and didn't even notice the parents not there. Everyone made friends quick. That being said I do understand your point.

• A
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nothing is set in stone, I'm at the part of seating planning. I was just coming up with some ideas I am planning on talking to the few parents that are bringing their kids and seeing how they feel about it. We are 3 weeks to the big day but I'm printing off the seating chart. I'm sure I will be tweeking this right up to the day I print it.

• M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Is there a reason you want a kids table/teen table?

I'm not a huge fan of them. Both of my kids are on the autism spectrum (but very high functioning and people who aren't really well versed in ASD likely wouldn't know). Things like kids tables are a real barrier for some kids. Even as an introverted adult, if I was separated from the group I came with and put at a table of people I only sort of knew, that would be very overwhelming for me.

Maybe it could be something they opt into? Those who prefer to sit with those their age can indicate on the RSVP and you can create the seating chart from that?
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Back when I was a kid I went to my cousin's wedding and we sat with our parents. Personally for me I would rather sit with my parents instead of strangers, but if I had cousin's that were my age or around that then maybe I would be comfortable with that? (I am the youngest of all my cousin's and they are all like 8 years older than me with the exception of my sister who is only 2 years older.)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics