Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tori
Top October 2019 Manitoba

Surprise flood!

Tori, on September 23, 2019 at 01:27 Posted in Before the wedding 0 20
Yup... Some of you living in Manitoba (more precisely Winnipeg) may know - we were hit with TONS of rain...

Winnipeg.ctvnews.ca video

So... naturally... my basement flooded! Yay! That was great...

Woke up on Sunday morning, got out of bed... and my feet were wet. First I thought, ok - maybe my Dog had an accident and I'm upset but whatever. Then as I kept walking it was more and more wet and squishy.... Opened the door to the laundry room where there is no carpet and it's just cement floor, and there!! Water!!! Smiley sad

Let me just say this, my Fiancé is amazing. I'm not going to lie, we went to a wedding social and my head was pounding when I woke up so I wasn't much help. He got our roommate, our neighbour and he went out to the store to pick up items including a rug doctor to vacuum up as much as we could.

Sadly... we have some of our wedding items being stored in the basement so there were casualties. If we could have a moment of silence for our customized napkins which were all ruined except for about 1/3 of them so they are basically useless to us as we were going to use them in place of plates for the table settings (see discussion here - Charger Plates - Yes or No?)

We also had all 250 of our blankets that we had bought from Ikea as wedding favours being kept downstairs so at least the bottom row of them are wet - still haven't determined if they are salvageable or not...

Here are some pics:

Surprise flood! 1

Surprise flood! 2

So, ya... just needed to share/rant and isn't this great with just less than 2 weeks till the wedding?

20 Comments

Latest activity by Rayanne, on September 24, 2019 at 15:49
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yay a silver lining! Glad it is working out.
  • Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What can ya do right? Just have to make the best of it and go from there Smiley smile

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I mean, at the same time I rather have this happen right now instead of day-of? But ya... hopefully we get all the "I didn't plan for this" type of things out of the way and are fine for the day of the wedding Smiley tongue

• Cliodhna
    WeddingWire Admin January 2030 Galway
    Cliodhna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this happened Tori Smiley sad

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That just stinks Tori. Sorry that this is happening to you Smiley sad

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is seriously amazing! Thats a good company!!

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's good! Still sucks since you have to deal with flood water (You do NOT want water damage!!)

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Looks like "only" about 30 or so are soaked - should be able to get away with not giving them out to the guests as we only have roughly 210 coming now instead of 250!

As for the napkins - I just heard back from the online store and they gave me an in-store credit to reorder them!!! Thank God for people understanding and for their sympathy!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Smiley smile

Actually just got an email back from the place I got the customized napkins and they gave me an in-store credit to reorder them!!! I legit cried when I read that email!!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think so, going to still give them a wash cycle and leave them last on the pile of blankets for favours so I can avoid people taking them if at all Smiley tongue I know that they wouldn't/couldn't tell the difference but I would know.

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ya, me too... at least it didn't rise very high - but that means the full layer on the ground of blankets we had in the basement are soaking wet Smiley atonished

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ugh, I heard you guys were getting lots of rain, sorry to hear about the flood casualties (RIP custom napkins!)

I'd honestly be stressed out too, as this is totally unnecessary 2 weeks before your wedding! Hoping you can save some of the blankets at least!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks, I appreciate it! I have today off of work (to take my pets to the vet for shots) so I'm taking full advantage and trying to move everything out and clean up the best I can!

• Tori
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yup :/ I've already contacted where we bought the custom napkins from to see if they can help me out as we don't exactly have a budget for this but haven't heard back. As for the wedding favours... started moving them out of that room today and so far there are over 2 dozen that are soaking wet. At least it was clean water and not sewer that back flowed!! I will give them a wash and see if they can be salvaged or if I can possibly return them as we did buy more than we need...

On the other hand we were doing reno's on our house so we may have lost a couple sheets of dry wall which sucks but nothing personal of ours was damaged thank God!

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

OH NO! That is horrible. I am so sorry Tori. Hoping everything will come together for you in the last couple weeks!

• Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

OH NO!!! So sorry that happened to you. Smiley sad Sometime life just hits you right in the face like that!

• Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry to hear that! Are you able to wash the blankets that got wet?

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh no! I'm so sorry. That is beyond frustrating. I hope the damage isn't too bad.
  • Katelyn
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh I'm so sorry! Sending prayers and hoping things aren't too hard to fix for you.
  • Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh god that’s awful!!! I’d be freaking out for sure 😬 I’ve somehow managed to live in places with lots of rain but never had any flooding personally my entire life so I can’t even imagine the stress you’re feeling. A wedding and a flooded house within two weeks of each other? That’s awful! I hope nothing in your house is too damaged!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics