Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Brittany
Beginner May 2018 Nova Scotia

Stress

Brittany, on January 6, 2018 at 20:47 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 21

So I am getting married May 19th of this year.

I should be excited and I am excited to marry my hubby but honestly the whole process is exhausting and makes me regret rejecting the idea of eloping.
*I should also mention that I've always wanted to get married and for it to be a big deal but now that it is here I'm more like mehh*

I am a very anxious person. I like things to be perfect or at least perfect to me then can have freak outs if it doesn't. I'm trying really hard to be chill but I just want to be married and move on.

I couldn't even say what is making me stressed because honestly I have a lot done. Venue-Done.
Photographer-Done.
Cake-Done.
Dress-Done.
Hair/Makeup-Done.
DJ-Done.
Invites-Done but not sent yet.

So it's not really like I am behind or anything but theres so much to think about and so much i'm worried I'm missing I just want it all to be done with.

Anyone else feeling like this? How are you coping?

21 Comments

Latest activity by Stephanie, on February 12, 2018 at 12:31
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For me, it's all the details that feel daunting. Things like signs, table numbers, kissing game are still on my to-do list. The big things came easy, but these smaller things takes a little more thought.

For me, I talk to my fiance. He's a more logical thinker, so it helps to put things in perspective. I also give myself a weekly facial and spend lots of time watching friends! I've started zumba twice a week as well which has been a fun release! Just find something you enjoy and use that to help cope with stress.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The short duration of your relationship could be a contributing factor to your FH's children's feelings. Me being a child of divorce (my parents split up when I was 19 and I'm 29 now), I can understand how they might still feel hurt that their father is moving on.

Try not to take it personally and recognize that these feelings might not be directed towards you.

• Surina
    Frequent user March 2018 Ontario
    Surina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My only real stress is my future husbands children. he and their mother have not been together for 10 yrs and they all acting like i came along and broke up their parents. i should state that all the children are adults. some even already have children of their own. i dont like the way they are treating him and i dont believe its fair of them to not show their support. i should state that we have only been together a short time and i did not know him when they were together.

sorry ladies my rant for the day...lol

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s a beautiful way of looking at things! I know I’m going to think back on this when the stress starts to overshadow the bigger picture of things.
  • Narman
    Newbie February 2019
    Narman ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi hun, sorry that you feel that way but as makeup artist to my experience it’s normal to be that way when it comes to ur big day you want to be perfect so I know lots of brides when I do their makeup they time stories that are similar to urs then I give them my advice then they come back tell me exactly how I told them it’s going to be just be happy it’s all about you ur wedding enjoy every moment of it cause it goes by so fast the next day it will feel like it was a dream come true
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You have everything under control and not to worry about the big things. Everyone goes through the overwhelming process and the stress. Sometimes it's best to step back and not think about it. Other times, count to ten as they say it helps to calm us down.

I know i felt that way too and reminded myself its the one day you get and make the best of it. Any obstacles that had arised, it was taken care of. Do keep the positive effort up and enjoy your day when it happens.
  • Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I feel exactly the same, i had this feeling like "why didn't we elope". I am the same way i like to have all little details thoughtout and at par with my expectations. To deal honestly i have been slowly saying is my day and it doesn't need to be perfect for everyone just for me, this is my little mantre. Wedding is fast approching in April so a bit of the anxiety kicking in, but i'll keep repeating this lol

• S
    Newbie May 2018 British Columbia
    Selina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So I'm not alone in this feeling of "meh-ness" thank goodness! My fiance and i are getting married at the beginning of June (no specific date set yet) but we are planning for a destination wedding & I haven't even booked anything yet. I'm trying to write things down and be organized but everytime I do, I'm overwhelmed & give up. At the end of the day all I want is for our friends & family to be there to witness us entering our marriage and fun. I really don't even care how many people are there - the less the better in my opinion. I am so tempted just to do a "pop up - surprise" wedding & he would be more than happy to do it. Then I think would I regret doing that? But I can't say I would. I know the wedding day will be special regardless but I don't need to/want to share it with a bunch of people. I only want the guests there who which us well & love us - then take off on our honeymoon! I feel like the wedding has become such an overarching eleborate to-do that I need to "make" it special. I'm sure I've gone on a tangent here. My fiance is amazingly supportive and will do whatever it takes to make me happy but he finds it hard to be decisive. And there's so many factors to take into consideration - mainly extended family which just confuzzle me.

dazed & confused

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was super worried that I would be like this so we planned a longer engagement so we would have a bunch of time to work through things slowly and at our own pace. Our venue also has a wedding coordinator that works with us to help us with the little stuff.
    In the end it will totally be worth all the stress I’m sure!
  • A
    Alberta
    Annette ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Embrace stress as part of the "fun" of planning a wedding. It happens. There are always little things that stress us. It can't be perfect just very close to perfect. You will look back on it and say remember when this problem came up... etc etc. That's all part of the wedding planning experience. Remember you are blessed to be planning a wedding. Not everyone gets that chance. Smiley smile
  • Charlene
    Curious May 2018 Ontario
    Charlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Great advice. I needed this too
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I will take a night or two out of our week to sit down and go over small details on one or two things. During my two days off this passed weekend, we put together our invites, stuffed envelopes and labeled them then figured out who's addresses we still need before we can send them out. We also got in contact with our photographer to plan the 10 hours we have with him. We started making lists of things around the house to cross off once it's finished.

Honestly, everybody feels this way at some point during the planning process. It's completely normal. I have been having them since we got engaged. I didn't really want the big wedding because I've been through it before but said yes to doing it for him and his family. I just wanted to go to the courthouse and then go away for a few weeks to enjoy married life without the crazy planning.

We cope by talking about it whenever we fee the stress coming on. You will always have people trying to interfere or give you advice that you don't want to hear. Just thank them for their input and move along. Remember, this day is about the two of you and nobody else.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think everyone feels overwhelmed to the point of not caring anymore at some point in the wedding planning. I know I did and I got over it by taking a step back for a few days and talking things over with my then-fiancé.

The day goes by so quickly and there will be something, there always is, that will not go as planned and that's ok. No one else will notice and the day will still be perfect! Enjoy the journey and the day!

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think a lot of brides and grooms feel this way, I know I definitely do! I'm also fairly organized but there is a lot of pressure these days on having a perfect wedding.

You see these amazing social media shots and get A LOT of opinions from people on what you should do, should have so that it can get overwhelming.

I'm trying to keep in mind this is one day and it really should be about my FH and I and enjoy yourselves.

• Tradingabyss
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Tradingabyss ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I know this probably won’t help you but I keep thinking if I’m stressed out then none of this is worth it! I wanted to get married because I’m so happy in my relationship and I want my wedding to be full of love and joy and if I’m stressed out it ruins the point. I think at some point we all have to give up a little control and just knowing that the day and the people were surrounded with is all that matters not the decor or the food or the judgement we’re scared of receiving. Just try to remember why you’re doing this!
  • Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The big things were actually the easy things, looking back. I do feel lost in the details of things sometimes, and that there is so much to think about! For me, I take a few minutes to think about it, and if nothing comes to me, I think it's probably not that important and move on. Because so many decisions came so easily for me, I'm trying not to worry about the little things.

I also think back to weddings I've been to and if I remember that detail. For example, there is a space in the wall at my venue where the folding wall is stored. I was thinking of covering it, didn't know with what and thought about other weddings. I don't remember walls there. At the time, I might've thought "that's weird to have" but after the fact, I don't remember. So, with that in mind, I'm not too concerned about covering that space.

I also chat with my fiancé because he is more logical than me and he offers a different perspective.

• Charlene
    Curious May 2018 Ontario
    Charlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am in literally the exact same boat as you! Getting married on May 20th and feel the same. Shoot me a message if you wanna chat about anything!
  • Louise
    Devoted September 2017 Quebec
    Louise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m sorry to hear you are feeling this way. I got married in September of last year and the day was perfect. Yes, some things didn’t go to plan but I didn’t care.

Seriously, do not stress the little things- it’s not worth it and your guests won’t notice if something doesn’t happen. Just focus on the two of you as a couple. The day goes so fast so just enjoy the adventure.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I will say you have gotten the most impirtant things done. To feel that you want to marry your FH is the heart that should say yay and lets spend time out or go to a movie to sometimes get your love life on track. Mehh shouldn't be that down feeling in your gut.

Make a list and see if the small things possible can be looked at to nake your day special. We didn't get to do our weekly date nights due to financial aspect. Take that time out for the 2 of u and spend time together.
  • Holly
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I was literally just sitting here thinking about everything and slowly getting crazy anxiety. What helps me hope is my fiance, knowing that I have plenty of time and support and this site! Planning a wedding is incredibly overwhelming and I had no idea beforehand. So just try to enjoy every step, double check your list and notes and everything will go as planned 😊
  • Natalie
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey there, sorry to hear you’re feeling that way but I totally get it! I’m in the same boat - getting married in June, booked all vendors and yet feeling a little overwhelmed and worried about the little details I may miss. Have actually said I wish we’d elope too! The only advice I can give (that is trying to follow myself too) is to focus on the bigger picture - you two as a couple, the marriage and that even if everything isn’t perfect, no one will notice (including probably you!). The day will be perfect, no matter what. We can do this! Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics