Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Expert July 2021 Ontario

Speeches

Sarah, on January 17, 2020 at 11:45 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 13
Who’s doing the speeches at your wedding?
Also, will you and/or your future spouse do one?

I know we’ll get up to do a small speech to say thank you to everyone but I’m wondering if there’s a fine line between keeping it simple or getting deep and detailed about the relationships lol

13 Comments

Latest activity by Cassie, on January 20, 2020 at 12:40
  • C
    Curious April 2020 Alberta
    Cassie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Sarah,

Both myself and my future hubs are doing a small thank you speech, my maid of honor, his best man and my parents will also be giving a small speech. We have opened the option to have anyone who would like to say something as well.

We are not going to get too specific and deep with our thank you speech as there are too many things we could say - so we're keeping it simple - we are also giving our speech before dinner is served so that it just leads us into it nicely.

• Sarah
    Expert July 2021 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Really appreciate everyone’s input thank you.
  • Sadia
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Sadia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m a little worried about speeches because I feel like people tend to tune out after the first few minutes. So I’ve decided to keep each speech to a minute or two max. Myself and my FH will say a few words of thanks, my MOH has a FOUR PAGE speech planned (which she’s shortening down thank god), and my dad has a few things to say as well. Short, sweet and simple!
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    So both me and my fh will do a quick speech. Our best man and MOH. Potentially my brother as her also part of the wedding party and my dad for sure. Other then that it’s open to anyone else but hoping they’ll make it quick if they do decide to say something. I am excited because I have a videographer so I’ll get to go back and watch what people said as I’m sure I won’t remember much on the day of LOL.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I want to keep speeches to a minimum. Anyone who wants to do one has a 5 minute maximum before they get the hook. I think I'll end up doing the thank you speech from us, my MOH wants to do a speech and his BM said he will do one. My MC loves to talk so while he may not make a speech he will have his 15 minutes....
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Us, both sets of parents, and maybe just MOH and BM

• Kimberly
    Frequent user July 2020 Ontario
    Kimberly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My plan for speeches is that My parents will do a speech my FH parents will do one. MY MOH, BM and then we will also.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Both sets of our parents will do speeches, my MOH (sister) and BM (brother in law) and then us.

I don't think we'll go super into the relationships but we'll definitely thank our families for helping us become the people we are, definitely thank my family for all of their support while I stress out over the planning and of course, thank all of the guests and our wedding party.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

MC (family friend), best woman, MOH and bridesmaid, DH's dad and sister, my parents, and DH and I all made speeches. Everyone stayed within the 5 minute window, except my parents who HATE long speeches at weddings lol.

Our speech was to thank everyone for coming, thank vendors, parents, wedding party, and anyone who went the extra mile (godmother who made decor, etc). I started off with an antidote about DH proposing and he mentioned us meeting for the first time.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had the MOH, both Best men, gave the option to the rest of the wedding party, and then we made a speech as well. We wanted our parents to say something but only my parents were going to because his Mom refused... She said if we put her up there all she would do is complain about how my DH changed his last name from her's to his father's....

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The speeches were limited to kept simple and short given the wedding party were the only ones before I said the last speech. The DJ had a copy of the timeline sheet forgetting there was 1 other person he didn't call up for the speech being my best man. I felt bad that I even forgot as he asked me if there was anyone else. My husband isn't big on public speaking, so I did the speech for us both also including his parents being present along with other watching over us that day.

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We haven't asked anyone specifically yet, but I know my grandma will want to say something, and FH's parents I'm sure will want to. We're not having a wedding party so no one is singled out as expected to say something, and which ever friends want to say something are welcome to. Then FH and I will have a little thank you speech. We are not good public speakers so it will be short without getting too detailed
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The best man, groom’s parents and bride’s parents are doing a speech at our wedding. We offered for our maid of honour to do a speech but she said she wouldn’t be able to do public speaking.

We’re doing a speech to thank the wedding party, parents, venue staff, photographers, MC. We get a little mushy thanking our parents, but don’t get too into details or relationships.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics