Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Britt
Frequent user July 2020 Alberta

Small ceremony

Britt, on April 23, 2020 at 21:54 Posted in Alberta 0 15
So for those in Alberta, dr Hinshaw just announced that events with people larger than 15 people are cancelled for the summer. I'm disappointed that I won't be able to have everyone I want at my ceremony but I'm actually relieved that I can have a smaller, simpler ceremony. We are planning on having just a handful of people & will be having a simple backyard ceremony at my MILS home, which we will be live streaming.

Does anyone have any advice for small planning sma ceremonies?

15 Comments

Latest activity by Britt, on April 24, 2020 at 16:53
  • Britt
    Britt ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It's so frustrating. I wish we could've gotten like 25, but it is what it is. What I'm worried about is the travel restrictions, my family is out in MB & Ont so I'm not even sure if I'll be able to have them. maybe contact your local authorities & see what they say
  • A
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    April ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are thinking of having a small ceremony and then we have our back up date of may 8 2021 for a vow renewal of sorts and the reception. with the whole 15 person thing, my issue is my immediate family makes 16 and the 16th person is a baby! im like does that count.... sigh. this is not fun at all.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Its disappointing to hear that Alberta has the pandemic occurring still given the number is lowered for gatherings. It would be safe to know if no tickets are being given out during the summer time.
    Holding back on the reception is a good idea for a later date so you can have all the guests present wearing the dress again that time. I have attended receptions after destination weddings and eloped (in laws).
  • Britt
    Britt ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Didn't think about talking to the authorities, but it's a good call. I do plan on going over my MILs backyard & measuring out 6ft so we know how many people can safely fit. I've counted my officiant in my numbers & think I'll just have someone invited take a few pictures & use the photographer for our vow renewal/reception when we are allowed.
    I am worried about travel restrictions as my whole family is from MB & Ont so I'm not sure if they will be able to make it. My sister I'm pretty sure is going to be pissed at me if I tell her no do to the restrictions, but she's a flake to begin with & honestly was stressing me out if she would make it before all this went down.
  • Britt
    Britt ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    A reception at a later date could be fun too, an excuse to wear your dress again. That's the way I'm looking at it. My MIL had her second marriage as a destination just her & hubs then had a reception a few months later with everyone & she loved it (definitely not the same, but got to make the most of it). I feel like some good needs to come out of this year & even if it's something small like a simple ceremony.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

A small simple gathering sounds wonderful right about now.

I would recommend checking with a local authority (police force, city officials) to make sure you can have a gathering and what regulations you will need to follow. It would also be helpful just to give them a heads up that you're having a gathering in case some nosy neighbor tries to report it. Be aware that you may need to keep guests six feet apart, and that serving communal food might not be allowed. Also make sure to count any vendors like your officiant, photographer etc. and yourselves in the head count, so your max guest count is probably 11-12.
  • Cassie
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Cassie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    THIS. This this this. These are the issues I have with having the party at a later date. I don’t even know how to feel! Hoping Ontario brings it up to at least 250 at some point over the coming months.
  • Cassie
    Cassie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree. The majority of our cases is LTC, community spread has come somewhat to a halt. Yeah I had plans to marry in May, honeymoon in June and then start a family. Yeaaaah that isn’t happening
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is so hard! We literally don't know what to do if we don't have our reception - so torn between having one later which we don't really want (finances, want to start a family, it kind of feels like the magic is gone) but then also not having a reception at all and regretting it later.

What a time!

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is - and I'm surprised in Ontario because Doug Ford is a strict conservative - his first priority is the economy.

I also wish they'd show how many "new" cases are in the community and how many are related to LTC homes. I bet the community number is very small. It's so heartbreaking for brides, new mothers, and anyone else who had special events planned. Who knew this would happen though?! It's the way of life I suppose.

• Cassie
    Cassie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh my gosh, same! It’s so frustrating that they aren’t being clear. I’m worried because of what other provinces are doing that weren’t hit as bad as us but we have to see.
  • Britt
    Britt ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm so glad your guests are all going 😊 it's such a frustrating time & so hard to make any concrete plans. I'm holding out hope for you that you can have the wedding of your dreams.
    It's gonna to be interesting to see how Sask plan goes, hopefully it they show others that it can be done safely.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Our guests have all said they’re coming as long as it’s happening - no one is afraid. They’re happy to get out of their houses to be honest.

Most of Ontario’s cases are LTC homes - so our grandparents are our biggest concern with the wedding. My grandfather is almost 100 - so we have that at the forefront of our mind.
    The government isn’t doing a very good job addressing what “large gatherings” are. Are they public with random people? Are they private with people from largely similar households? It would be nice to get some clarity!
  • Britt
    Britt ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The article I read just said gatherings of more than 15, honestly we were just waiting for an excuse to push our hands. I think a lot of people would be too scared to fully commit to a summer wedding & things have been so up in the air. It's nice to be able to have plans that won't have to be cancelled. Or have people say they'll come then change their minds last minute.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Not to spread false hope - but did they say public gatherings?

In Ontario, I keep hearing the term “large public gatherings” and a wedding isn’t a public gathering. It’s private.
    We’re holding out hope here - so I’m interested to see what other provinces are doing.
    Saskatchewan appears to have put out a plan that if followed in 2 week increments, the province would be open fully by end of June / early July.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics