Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynnie
WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina

Sleeping apart the night before the wedding? Keep or Cancel?

Lynnie, on September 16, 2019 at 09:49 Posted in Before the wedding 0 41

Will you be keeping with tradition and spending the night before your wedding sleeping separately? Or are you ready to cancel this old tradition?

Keep or cancel?

Sleeping apart the night before the wedding? Keep or Cancel? 1

Next Question: Matching Bridesmaids Dresses

Back to the Beginning: Keep or Cancel?

41 Comments

Latest activity by Geneviève, on November 3, 2019 at 08:47
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cancel. This was actually a big debate with my very traditional mother, but since we need to stay in a hotel, we're certainly not renting two rooms!

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Cancel. I think we both sleep better together!
  • Emily
    Curious October 2020 British Columbia
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally, I would want to spend the night feeling safe and cared for than sleep alone! I already live with my finacee, so it's not a stretch. I have been to weddings though where the bride and groom slept in separate rooms the night before, which was fine for them too! I think as long as you separate ways before getting ready it's no big deal and I don't believe it's bad luck!

• Cynthia
    Curious August 2020 Ontario
    Cynthia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Cancel. I only sleep well in my own bed.
    Don’t need myself or fiancé looking tired in our wedding photos
  • Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Cancel. We stayed in a hotel as the wedding was out of town. Plus we lived together before we married. Sleeping apart would have caused us to be more restless.
  • Vanessa
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep! Mostly because it worked out that he got ready at his parents' and I got ready at my parents' the next day!

• R
    Frequent user November 2021 Ontario
    Racheal ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep.

The night before, we plan to hang out with our bridal and grooms party at the venue. Then, we have separate rooms for both. It's more to do with how early we may have to wake up to get ready (specifically the girls).

• Chere-Lee
    Frequent user October 2020 Ontario
    Chere-Lee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cancel (probably). We have rented the honeymoon suite for the night before (we get it free the night of) and another room for my children. I'd much rather be comfortable sleeping beside my best friend rather than uncomfortable with teens and young adults kicking me all night. Not to mention those party animals - I'd probably end up having zero sleep.

• Megan
    Curious November 2019 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keeping! Because we're all (families and wedding party) going to be at a hotel the night before so it's easy to be in separate rooms. We've lived together for 6+ years so it also seems like a fun change-up to be apart right before the big day!

• Nelly
    Devoted October 2021 Ontario
    Nelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep we are still virgins and we want to loose our virginity on our wedding night

• Christine
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep! We live out of town, but we're getting married in my hometown. I'm sleeping at my parent's place and he's sleeping at an Airbnb.

• Kat D
    Frequent user April 2021 Manitoba
    Kat D ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keep! We’re going to be spending the night with our respective party members ☺️
  • Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keep! We got two separate Airbnbs for both sides of the wedding party so that each side has their own space where they can get ready.
  • Kristi
    Curious June 2020 Quebec
    Kristi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep the tradition!Smiley kiss

Sleeping at my maid of honors place and getting ready with my bridal party with fruits and champagne will be awesome. The photographer will get great pictures of me and the girls and the same on my fiance side. Will be nice to see this after the wedding.

It will be more special this way.

• Stephanie
    Master July 2018 Alberta
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keeping. We didn’t live together before marriage so this was easy to do!
  • Maddie19
    Curious July 2020 Alberta
    Maddie19 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keeping! We aren't living together until after we're married. I think it'll be fun to spend one more night with my best girl friends.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cancel.

Most couples living together seem to sleep together and get ready with their wedding parties separately on the day.

Gay couples help each other get ready or separately depending on the couples choice.

• Flora
    Frequent user September 2021 British Columbia
    Flora ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keeping it! My girls and I will be staying in the suite at the hotel were we are getting ready the next morning.
  • R
    Devoted November 2019 Quebec
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Cancel. I want a good night sleep in my own bed, if its a keep FH going to have to sleep somewhere else and I doubt be will want to do that.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cancel. We initially were going to keep it, but when the time came, it was just too stressful for one of us to spend the night before somewhere else.

• A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keeping this one. I'll probably sleep over with my family.

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep! I really want the first time to see me on the day of to be as I walk down the aisle!

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keep! i want to spend the night before with my bridal party!
  • A
    Devoted July 2023 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cancel. Our venue is an hour outside the city so it just makes sense to stay in the same room the night before. Plus we have children and it would be a game of musical rooms of who wants to sleep in the room with mommy and now I want to go sleep in the room with daddy. We have a huge room booked and in the morning the three of them will head to the best mans room and my MOH will come and get ready in our room.

• Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Cancel! We will be in Punta Cana and will definitely be spending the wedding eve in our room. That said, we are planning separate girls/guys nights out the night before, and we are going our separate ways first thing in the morning.
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Cancel. It's more for logistics than tradition. Neither of us care about sleeping apart the night before though my FH said , for sure, doesn't want to see my dress or me in it before the wedding. With me getting ready at a separate location and how long it takes to do all the make-up and hair, we'd have to book for the night before and I don't like feeling rushed first thing in the morning (nor trying to brave downtown traffic....lol)! :-)

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

NOPE! I have such a hard time sleeping on my own, especially before our big day....also we spent a lot of money on a B&G suite, we will be using that to its fullest.

• Amberlee
    Newbie October 2019 Ontario
    Amberlee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Cancel! I love being with my best friend and think old traditions are a bit silly. (That's just my opinion anyone who wants to keep the tradition I say do what makes you happy!) Smiley smile
  • Alix
    Expert June 2021 Saskatchewan
    Alix ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep. I want to do a girls night with my bridesmaids the night before.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Keep/kept!
    My husband's only request was that we don't see each other until my walk down the aisle.

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re keeping this. I’m staying at our reserved hotel the night before with either my mom or MOH and he’s staying in our apartment.
  • Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Originally I wanted to keep this tradition.. however when it came down to it we decided to sleep together and so I saw him in the morning of the wedding and honestly i'm really glad we did it that way because I felt way less nervous being able to hug him and see him before he left to get ready with his family. He did not see me in my dress before the wedding though

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics