Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Expert July 2021 Ontario

Skipping the registry?

Sarah, on June 5, 2019 at 14:49 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 13
Hi guys,
so we already have a house and two kids and we’ve been engaged for a few years now and therefore it seems inappropriate to me for us to ask for gifts for the house because we already have everything and then some. However i am hoping we get cash gifts to help offset some costs of the wedding especially as we aren’t having a stag and doe or anything.
I am just wondering though if we skip the registry will people think that gifts are optional? Is there a “nice” way to ask for cash (i know some people consider that tacky)? Thoughts?

13 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on June 12, 2019 at 00:06
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like to believe that people know how to give cash. I also like to believe that these guests will just know that if there is no registry that cash is preferred. If you don't think your guests will get the hint, then just say something on your wedding website regarding how monetary gifts are preffered.

• Machaila
    Beginner June 2019 Ontario
    Machaila ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did a small registry for my shower, got anything we needed (I think 5 things were on it lol) but people just got the hint! All our gifts were cash expect maybe 4 gift cards, blankets, and some custom decor
  • Toni Rose
    Frequent user October 2023 Ontario
    Toni Rose ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Straight and simple, were telling our guests gifts are not necessary but if they would like to give a monetary gift, itll be used towards our first family home / helping us start a family. We have all we need and anything presents we get will be donated.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Skip the registry if needed and not having to have seconds or thirds of things already using in the house.

A nice straight forward way of asking for monetary gifts on any Indian wedding invitation and no complaints ever is NO BOXED GIFTS PLEASE. At the reception, every table can have a card saying portion of the money will be donated to a charity which you both feel is important to you. This way of getting gifts or however you feel should be done your way is not tacky of asking others. Follow your heart and give/donate if chosen. Home or rainy funds for the family is also a good idea to keep as a goal.

• Michelle
    Frequent user August 2019 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I posted a respectful and sweet little poem on our wedding website at the Registry section. Essentially it said that we've lived independently for quite some time, so don't need housing gifts, but are taking a honeymoon and if they'd like to contribute to that it would be appreciated. If not, their presence was a gift enough. I did also add a very small registry from The Bay, just in case some more traditional people really wanted to give a gift gift.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're skipping the registry too, but we're not going to outright ask for cash. I feel like most people will get the hint if there's no registry then the couple wants cash and most people will comply.

You can also include on of the poems Valerie and Tori mentioned in your invitation details card or your website, but I feel these are optional

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is the route we are going. And honestly I’m not straight up asking for any gifts. For many people, showing up to a wedding with a card is a lot easier than a huge gift!
    But if you want to eliminate the possibility of people giving you material gifts, you can add something to your invites or wedding website that says you are only accepting monetary gifts.
  • K
    Expert June 2019 Ontario
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I just wouldnt bother with a registry or asking for cash on the invites.

We didnt have a registry, didnt ask anyone straight up for cash, and all of our guests except 2 provided cash. The 2 actual gifts we received were awesome and useful so no complaints there!! Most people provide cash anyways even if there is a registry.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    To be totally honest - you’re going to wind up with some people bringing you gifts anyway. Hopefully they give you a gift receipt or maybe it’ll be something you might use!

Im having the same issue with my shower - my FSIL straight up asked for cash on her shower invite last year and it rubbed people the wrong way.

I’m going to put together a small, small registry (towels, cutlery, dishes, etc.) of things I do need or would be helpful to have but as others have said I think a lot of people will just prefer to give cash.

I just cant bring myself to put something on the invite so I think a small registry kind of works in the middle.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Totally fine, and most people I know bring presentation over physical gifts anyway.

Here are a couple ways you could let them know in the invitations (other than by word of mouth when you undoubtedly get people asking where you are registered and if you are having a wedding shower).

Skipping the registry? 1

Skipping the registry? 2

• Kat D
    Frequent user April 2021 Manitoba
    Kat D ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Most people ask for money in lieu of gifts. You can write “presentation prefered” or something (pinterest has plenty of ideas). My fiancé and I are setting up a registry for our honeymoon trip to Disney World.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Seleena here, that monetary gifts are well accepted these days. I would definitely inform guests though, because you might end up with random physical gifts you didn't want or ask for (think older people trying to do the "right" thing!).
    There are loads of blurbs online to let your guests know that a gift is optional and that a monetary gift would be preferred. Here's ours:

The most important thing is to have you with us on our special day.

No gifts are needed or expected, however we have been asked what we need or would like and, if you do wish to give us something, a little cash towards our first house would be very much appreciated.

As long as you let your guests know, either on your wedding website OR the "details" card, then you'll be fine!

• Seleena
    Super September 2019 British Columbia
    Seleena ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly, I think this is the norm these days. Most people live together before they are married and every wedding I have been to in the past 5 years has asked for monetary gifts only. You can just put some type of note or something implying that there will be a card box for the B&G at such location of the wedding.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics