Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jennifer
Frequent user February 2024 Ontario

Sexy red dress dilemma

Jennifer, on July 9, 2018 at 18:21 Posted in Wedding fashion 0 17
Hi all, just wondering if it is considered inappropriate or rude to wear a bright red dress as a guest to a wedding. A friend of mine showed me the dress she wants to wear and its bright red, very sexy and I feel like it's pretty attention grabbing. I don't want to be mean or come off as jealous but she will be in a bunch of pics since she's a good friend. I would like the attention to be on me. Can I ask her to wear something else or is that a bridezilla move?

17 Comments

Latest activity by Jennifer, on July 11, 2018 at 02:46
  • Jennifer
    Frequent user February 2024 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks for all the input, I agree that I don't want to dictate what she wears and be 'that bride' so I'll make an honest comment next time it comes up and leave it to her. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter, you're all right, the focus will be on me!
  • Ashley
    Frequent user August 2018 British Columbia
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agree with both of these!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree with this statement. It is one thing to ask people to steer clear of your wedding colours but it is another to specifically say what they can and cannot wear.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that it is fair to mention why you would appreciate if she didn't wear it but leave it in her ball park as to actually wearing it or not as you don't want to come off as bridezilla telling her what she can and cannot wear. I like Brittany's idea of "jokingly" mentioning that she will up stage you and at the same time you can even say something like 'what? you don't think that I'm going to want pictures next to you when you look better than me?'

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If it is going to stress you out or upset you then talk to her honestly about it. maybe she can change into it for the reception and wear something more subtle in the pictures?
    Everyone will be there to celebrate you and your fiancé that day so all eyes will be on the two of you but it's important that you aren't upset on your big day about something that your friend could easily change
  • Tyanna
    Super June 2019 British Columbia
    Tyanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think bright red is a little much. It's definitely an attention grabbing colour and especially if its right fitting! I dont think that she will outshine you in your dress, but it will definitely seem as though shes trying to if she wears it!
  • Ilish
    Curious September 2019 Alberta
    Ilish ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Sophie Turner recently wore this red dress to her co-star Kit Harrington’s wedding and got some heat from it. I personally think she looked fab and nothing can outshine the bride on her big day. But if it bothers you, there must be a polite way to inform her?

Sexy red dress dilemma 1
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Taking the tension of a good friend to wear the red dress as opposed to a white dress is different.

You're the center of attention on your day and will look gorgeous over her anytime. Leave your friend to be and appreciate her for being there to celebrate with you and youe hubby. After all, she's your friend for life in the long run.
  • Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I kind of agree with Bianca, but also see where you are coming from. At the end of the day, all of the attention will be on you anyways. I would just let her wear what she feels good in!
  • Emily
    Devoted November 2018 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Tell her that the wedding is two years away and she should wait until closer to the wedding to buy a dress Smiley smile She should forget about it in the mean time and have time to find something more subtle!
  • Maya
    Expert January 2019 Alberta
    Maya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel it is fair to ask her to wear something else. I would start by saying I love that dress and think you will look great in it. I have read that the coulour red is a very eye catching colour and since we are so close you will be in lots of photos and I’m worried it may take the focus off of us (you and your fiancé). I hope she will respect your wishes.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it’s a little bridezilla-y to ask her not to wear it. You’re going to be the centre of attention no matter what, so I say be graceful and just let her wear it.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel like the attention will be on you no matter what! And if there's any attention on her I feel it may be more negative as I'd assume many people would think the same thing that it's a bit much for a wedding... maybe just mention to her you were hopi g to have people dress more formal and less a cocktail dress? Nicer way of saying tone down the night life vibe.
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I seen a guest wear a sexy red dress to a cousin’s wedding a few weeks ago and my fiancé mentioned that it was too much. If you’re comfortable asking her if she could wear something else I would. I hate confrontation so I’d have a hard time myself, plus the attention will be on you no matter what! You’ll be the beautiful bride Smiley smile
  • M
    Devoted August 2018 Ontario
    Megis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yeah what they previously commented. You don't want a guestzilla or someone wearing white or generally just trying to up stage the bride. I'm worrying about some of my guests
  • S
    Frequent user October 2019 Ontario
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If she has shown you the dress it seems like she is looking for approval from you or seeing if you will lose your mind. If you feel it’s a little too much for your day tell her.
    Either way you will be the center of attention and have nothing to worry about
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would totally agree with you... you should not be upstaged by a guest.
    You could compliment her, say something like "wow you would look stunning in that dress!" Then follow up with "are you trying to stage up the bride?"... *haha*... if she doesn't take the hint... just tell her you think she will be drawing attention from you and you'd really appreciate her wearing something else.
    I think its totally inappropriate to be a guest that's wearing something blatantly distracting... almost as bad as white....

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics