Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner September 2021 Ontario

Service as wedding gift

Karli, on December 8, 2019 at 12:25 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 11
We have a friend that is an amazing musician and I would love for him to play classical guitar during the ceremony. I will be more than willing to pay him or have his service be a wedding gift. How do I say this without sounding rude and assuming they would be giving a gift (which they would) or assuming it would match up with what his 'fee' would be.

Is it just safer to ask him and pay him?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Karli, on December 10, 2019 at 17:04
  • K
    Karli ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I should say that I am more than happy to pay his full fee. They are a family very much like ours where finances are handled very precociously as there really is never any extra. A part of me feels like saying this would be their gift is taking a weight off their shoulders. But the other part feels rude and assuming lol.
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Say i would love for you to play at my ceremony, is there a friend discount for the cost? then let him decide if he wants to do it for free or what price he would give you

• K
    Curious February 2022 Alberta
    Katelyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would just tell him you would love for him to play and ask what he would charge for that. let him offer it to be the gift if he chooses, I wouldn't ask him to do it as a gift though.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Your friend doing this as a wedding gift is a blessing to you two for your day. A nice gift for thanking him would be nice or dining for 2 gift certificate to appreciate his thoughtfulness. Your gesture is in the right place to do as his to you.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yup! I agree with this - even if he comes back saying that it will be their gift I would give them "a tip" for doing such a big thing like playing for your ceremony.

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If he's not offering I wouldn't assume it to be his wedding gift.

If you want him to play at your wedding I would look into hiring him and paying for his services.

• M
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Tell him you love his services, and ask what his rate is, because you are considering hiring him. If he tells you his rate and doesn't offer his services for free, then you can decide if you want to hire him. Or he may offer on the spot that he would love to do it at a different, lower rate. But definitely don't suggest to him that he make it a gift. And even if he does, I would still recommend giving him some sort of monetary gift. Pay your friends y'all!

• Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wouldn’t ask their services as a gift as you are making an assumption that they will be giving a gift, as you mentioned. As others mentioned, the cost of a ceremony musician is greater than what a typical wedding gift is so it’s potentially a big ask to ask for them to give those services for free.

I would tell them that you appreciate their talent and want to inquire about booking them. Ask what they normally charge and offer/be prepared to pay that much. If they offer to do the services for cheaper then that’s a plus, but I advise being willing to pay full price like they’re a normal vendor.
  • K
    Karli ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    And that's what I'm going back and forth with. Honestly, he would probably do it for free. But I dont want to assume. His whole band played at a friends social which is like a wedding fundraiser and they only charged $500.
  • M
    Expert September 2019 Ontario
    Meaghan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think I would maybe ask him for suggestions for other ceremony musicians. Tell him you really admire his talent and want someone similar. I would want my friend to be there as a friend and not have any other responsibility at my wedding. I also just don't believe that friendship should ever have a business component to it.
    If you really want only him I definitely would suggest you pay him. Ceremony musicians can run $300-400+, so that would be a very generous gift!
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have a friend that's a great photographer, so I asked him if he'd be willing to do a boudoir photo shoot for FH's wedding gift from me. He said he'd be more than willing to make that his gift to both of us as long as I pay for a rental space if that's what I choose to do instead of at home or wherever. So bring the subject up with your friend and he may just offer to do it on his own. If not then ask him how he feels about doing it and if he has any conditions. You never know til you ask! And he may be honored to do it! I've asked a couple friends if they'd be willing to do certain wedding tasks and all of them have been more than happy to be apart of it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics