Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Curious September 2023 Ontario

September 2020 Brides, have you pushed your date or waiting it out?

Kris, on April 26, 2020 at 21:56 Posted in Plan a wedding 0 9
My wedding date is September 12th of this year, and I feel like it's really hard for September Brides right now because we're in a bit of a grey area. We're not early enough that pushing our date is a definite, and we're not far enough out that we shouldn't worry. I'm in a position right now where all of my vendors are willing to push the date to next year, but my venue is only making that decision for dates based on 6 weeks out dependant on current government recommendation. This makes a lot of sense for many reasons, it allows those whose weddings will most definitely be cancelled to have their choice in upcoming dates for next year, and also we can't expect venues to completely cancel all weddings for months at a time and move them all the following year , it's not realistic. Have any of you made the decision to change your date and if so what were the responses from your venues? And for those of you who aren't changing your date at this time, how are you feeling right now?!

9 Comments

Latest activity by Holly, on May 4, 2020 at 13:24
  • H
    Newbie September 2020 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding is in Ontario for September 12th as well. We are really uncertain about what to do at the moment. Our venue won't let us reschedule until closer to the date, so it seems like we just need to wait and see for now.

We are signing a contract and putting down an additional deposit with our venue for a date in August 2021. Our other vendors won't hold the date unless we put down another deposit, but that would really add up (florist, photographer, videographer, musicians etc). We have asked them to pencil us in with a question mark and let us know if other couples are enquiring about the date before giving it away, to give us a chance to pressure our venue for an answer.

Hoping for the best for this year, but trying to plan ahead the best we can.

• Adrianna
    Beginner September 2020 Ontario
    Adrianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Smiley smile

My wedding is September 6th. It is really hard for us brides and grooms who scheduled their wedding towards the end of the year. I don't want to put more negative thoughts out there, but since March - June weddings are already postponed, and 2021 weddings are already scheduled it looks like we may even have to wait until 2022. That really puts a wrench in our whole life plans together. We wanted to travel and have kids before 30. So our plan is to get married virtually on September 6th. Should we need to - we can postpone and celebrate with our families at a later date. It's not ideal but i think its the best for our situation.

If you are living in the Toronto area, the three stage plan that Doug Ford put out is a ray of hope for us! Stage three should occur close to August. I'm really hoping that it all works out and we can have our dream wedding.

• Kallei
    Beginner September 2020 Alberta
    Kallei ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hey girl, ours is September 26. We are also waiting until July to make a definite decision, and are lucky we haven’t sent out any invites yet. I’m in Alberta, so it’s still a bit rough here. However! We did book a back up date with our venue and vendors for next May JUST in case. Regardless, we will still be getting married this September with our 15 guests if that’s how it has to be, and will have the reception next May. You feel SOOO much more relieved knowing you have a plan B. With that said, we are still really clinging onto hope that September will go though!! Even if we can only have 50 or so guests, we will cut our guest list smaller and go ahead. It’s way better than 15.
  • Jodi
    Beginner September 2021 Alberta
    Jodi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hello! Our wedding is planned for September 12th alsoSmiley heart

Our venue has reached out to us and we do have a reserved date for next year, just in case and while there were dates still available. We checked with our catering, photographer and officiant, all were available for the back up date. My fiancee and I are in BC, having our wedding in AB. We sent out our invitations late last week, only to find out the next day about AB having mass gatherings no larger than 15 people and this is to be revisited come September. We are however, still planning as scheduled. A lot can change and we plan on making our decision about postponing, come July. We don't want to give up just yet. However, there are so many "little things" that need to work out and fall into place. For example, my dress was due to arrive the end of May or beginning of June. If it does arrive on time and the dress shop is closed, how and when will I get alterations? Same for the bridesmaid dresses, which are expected later on. Same goes for the guys tux rentals and so on.

It has been stressful, but we are now in the stage of acceptance, that it may have to be postponed. Out of our control. We would rather keep our beautiful venue, have family and friends stay safe and have our wedding next September.

Anyhow, we will wait it out for now, try and stay positive (I better stop eating my feelingsSmiley winking )
    and continue to prepare for our wedding, for the time being. We have our website to keep guests up to date and even have a "Possible Postponement" announcement on the website.

• M
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Monika ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You make a good point..maybe I'll buy some small things to check things off the list.

Thanks so much! I hope so too Smiley smile

• Cassie
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Cassie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m September 6 in Ontario. I just learned about our 3 stage opening and even though they don’t have a set date yet, it seems a bit promising to me. My assumption is maybe May 25 and I’d be in the clear for September. If things don’t work, my aunt offered up her cottage for the day and we can have as many people as are allowed and get married on dock and do the big thing next year. But we will see!
  • K
    Curious September 2023 Ontario
    Kris ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I feel exactly the same! For the last two months I haven't bought or done anything wedding related because it really wasn't looking good, and it's also very depressing when we've been planning for so long to do wedding related things if it might not happen. But this past week I decided to shift my attitude about it, and I ordered my wedding jewellery and I'm going to send out my save the dates and start sourcing the rest of my decorations. Absolute worst case scenario if the day does have to be pushed, at least you'll already have everything you need! And I agree, I'm also nervous that if everything works out and I left everything until the last minute, that it will be too much and very stressful so I'd rather be safe than sorry. Wishing us both the best and that we can get married on September 12th! 😆
  • M
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Monika ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

September 12 here too!

Our venue also won't allow us to postpone yet or look at other dates. They are trying to be fair and working with only up to June couples right now.

Since we cannot cancel or postpone, we are just waiting to hear what the government says and what our venue says.

Our worry is that even if things cool down by September, are 250 guests going to feel comfortable coming to our wedding?

The most frustrating part is not knowing and not knowing what I should be planning/buying right now (all those last minute things like guest book, signage, jewellery, etc). I don't want to go ahead and buy all that stuff in case I won't need it right now but I also don't want to have too many last minute things to do.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    At this point it could come down to provincial restrictions, so it's really really hard to tell what September could look like. The virus is expected to come and go in waves so it could be gone or we could be in another round of isolation.

Our wedding is in October and in July we will decide about postponing. We decided to wait until July to worry early on because this is entirely out of our control. There's a strong chance that travel into our province, especially from the states, won't be allowed and FH's parents live in Wisconsin. If they can't come we will have our ceremony as an elopement and celebrate our first anniversary with a reception in 2021. I'm not as upset or stressesld as I would have anticipated, but I haven't had to reach out to any vendors yet.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics